1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone had complete failure of gas pedal?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by horsehead, Mar 10, 2010.

1. horsehead

horsehead New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No, the motor did not race. It did NOTHING. Pedal went to the floor as though "limp". Yeah, it's probably operator error according to everyone on here. Whatever, I'm out of here.

2. horsehead

horsehead New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for not attacking me and being one of the few nice people on this chat.

3. horsehead

horsehead New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you. Must have been operator error. Just kidding, I know it wasn't. I, unlike most people on this thread, do believe there can be something wrong with a car. Thanks for sharing and being nice.

4. horsehead

horsehead New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks, I'll come back and share if I'm not kicked off for using the F word. So many people on here are so mean. Accusing me and my friend of operator error. And getting mad for posting this thread more than once. Thank you for being nice. I'm going to a new dealer and I will do what you suggested.

FYI everyone else, given the car is so new, 2010, I reposted thread because there had been more time for new owners to have possibly experienced what I have. I really apologize for reposting the same thread more than once.

5. horsehead

horsehead New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for replying. If it happens to you again will you please report it to the NHTSA with the vin? My friend and I have done that and apparently there have been others. It takes a certain number before they will look into it. Thanks for being nice.

6. horsehead

horsehead New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: Has anyone had accelerator delay or failure?

No, car was not in neutral. I'm going to go put it in neutral right now and press the gas to see what happens. I would think the engine would rev but I wouldn't move. The engine did NOT rev on either occasion, despite pushing pedal to the floor and the car was on.

7. horsehead

horsehead New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh, and no, the check engine light did not light up.

8. horsehead

horsehead New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I just tried putting car in neutral and then pressing the gas. The engine does not rev. So, perhaps that is what occurred, but I sure don't remember anything bumping it into neutral either time. One time my husband was with me, the other he was not. His guess is a software glitch, just like the one for the brake recall which mine was recalled for. I had the fix for that even though I had never had any brake problems. I have not had the gas pedal failure since, so who knows. My friend in WA who has had it happen 5 times now has hers in at the dealer as we speak and they are trying to figure things out.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

The brake recall was not for correcting a software glitch but improper programming. Two different things.

10. horsehead

horsehead New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Well maybe they've improperly programmed the black box, the brakes and the accelerator. Wondering how many people on here work for Toyota? I'm guessing a few.

11. horsehead

horsehead New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was DRIVING the car. At no time did I reverse or try to park. I was trying to accelerate from like 20 to 25. The car would not accelerate. My foot was on the gas pedal, at no time did I touch the brake or the shifter. Same with my friend. But yeah, I'm sure it's operator error.

12. xanmato

xanmato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Horsehead,
    Do you happen to be a two foot driver? As in, do you usually rest your left foot lightly on the brake and press the gas with your right foot while driving? Does your friend also drive like this?

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes she does, and so does her friend. and many other people who in advertantly cause problems for themselves.:cool:

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Ok, just a few questions and one hypothesis:

• How frequently?
    • What time of day?
    • How quickly does the cruise control 'blink out' when you touch the brake?
    My first thought is your brake light switch may be too sensitive. The schematic suggests if the brake light switch should activate, it may induce the 'brake override' logic. This would make the accelerator appear to not function.

In your case, you might want to adjust the brake switch to be less sensitive. Check the 'cruise control' and "brake switch" postings.

Bob Wilson

15. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is operator error. Love how you and some others immediately point blame at the car and Toyota. All the media hype has everyones sense of awareness in overdrive. Stop panicing and drive the freakin car.

16. horsehead

horsehead New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :p:mad::):(:confused::D:eek::rolleyes:;)
    I am not a two foot driver for god's sake. I cannot even imagine putting my left foot on the brake. My friend does no such thing either. That is pretty insulting.:cheer2::welcome::focus::rockon::eek:

17. horsehead

horsehead New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Thank YOU! For some actual insight, suggestions, and lack of attacking me or assuming I suck big time at driving a car.:cheer2:

18. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    i had one problem i was driving the car and it felt like the engine wasnt on but clearly when i steped on the acselerator it increased its speed then the trafic light turned red on me and i had to use the brakes.when i finaly came to a full stop the engine was still not working. tell me what should i do this hapens to me all the time! i have had the car for 11 days and put 1600 kilomiters on it and it seems to be getting worst now the engine seems to stay of even when i step on the gas pedal to take of,it only comes on a bit now and then and it turns it self of just as fast as it turns on!:behindsofa:
    in the 1600 kilomiters i put on the cab already i have screwed up many things trying to stop start my favorite is when a passenger pops up out of the blue and insted of pressing on the hazard lights i press on the parking position for the tranny :D ive managed to go in neutral a few times and some other manuvers i puled that i cant even imagine how i did them! :eek:

i am not stupid i hapen to own 4 diferent vehicles and all 4 of them have the shifter move a diferent way one from the other driver error is easyer than we care to realise to happen!the prius has definetly put a diferent control system on the car which is totaly abnormal and it makes it easy to fall in to paterns that are developed throughout the years of driving comon cars!

i still dont get why the engine turns its sellf of all the time and why the gas station owner seems trubled when he sees my taxi rolling in the gas station in silent mode gassing up faster then he can take the nosle of the pump back and forth from the car after a full day shift! the reciept takes longer to print for gods sake !!!!!

come to think of it i tried taking of a couple of times but didnt. some times when i am in a car i feel like a gold fish in a bowll MY MEMORY GETS ERASED EVERY 3 SECONDS!!!

but i realy hope its not something real you got going there with your 2010

19. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has happend twice to me as well but only a temporary for a few seconds with no power even with gas pedal press down all the way but then it comes back with full power and gives a surge.

20. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you all are feeling the time it takes for the engine to go from 0 rpm to 3k (then continues to climb with speed) for WOT acceleration. Simply the nature of HSD.