1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have 18" rims?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Mr. Practical, Jun 10, 2008.

1. prius70

prius70 Junior Member

you're gonna lose at least 5mpg with big rims/tires, buy the lightest setup you can afford!!

a trip back and forth to san diego. . .freeway driving. . .

Attached Files:

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I would almost guarantee that anyone getting 50-53mpg with aftermarket 17" wheels COULD be getting closer to 60mpg on the stock setup.

Personally I cannot get better than about 47mpg with the 17" wheels (trying) yet I can get 55+ on the stock setup if I try and 60mpg+ if I try real hard. lol

So yes you will see a loss. If you are already getting mid 50mpg then a drop to 45-48mpg probably won't affect you much. If you are in the mid-high 40s now then prepare to be disappointed.

3. icecoldmittens

icecoldmittens New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

I know its sounds crazy...... but my milage hasn't been affected. Its just like before, if i try driving efficiently i can get about 57mpg. With my everyday driving, i get 52-53. Since i have rest my average after putting the new rims on, there has been no real change. I still am averaging 53.2. I did a lot of research though. To start, although my rims are getting bigger, my tires are obviously getting thinner. Before they were put on today, i measured the different in hight with the stock rim, and the aftermarket next to each other. There was only a half an inch difference. It was such a small difference, that my speedometer wasn't affected when i drove by a radar sign.

From what i have read on other posts on PC, the weight of the rim is really whats going to affect it. These rims cost more money, but they are reasonable light weight at 17 pounds. I think the stock are 15.

I will remind all of you, The 53mpg is summer milage. Living in Massachusetts, we have colder winters. My winter milage is only 46 mpg.

Anyway..... I know everyone talks about the huge milage hit, but i haven't experienced it. And believe me, i have been paying such freakishly close attention to everything about the car since i put them on. I was also terrified about a milage hit. I just couldn't stand those crappy stock tires any longer.

I will keep you posted, but as of right now. I honestly havent noticed a difference

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Make sure you are keeping track of weather data and driving style when making these comparisons. :) As one learns to drive more efficiently the numbers can become confused. That's why I keep swapping from stock to aftermarket as my driving skill increases. After 4 tries at swapping I'm convinced I'm losing 4-6mpg which is similar to what most people experience. I'm not calling you a lair or anything, just unsure of your data collecting. :) Either way, 53mpg is great with heavy aftermarket wheels and tires (remember that 17" tires are generally heavier than 15"s os similar diameter). My wheels only weighed 15lbs but my combo was still 6-7lbs heavier than stock because of the tires. Tire compound also has a dramatic effect on MPG. :) Keep us posted mate.

5. icecoldmittens

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I know it sounds crazy. I did reset my average milage, and the weather had been consistent. I dont know if this helps, but i am running Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 Tire.

I am not your typical driver though. I generally an very slow, and even go under the speed limit if no one is behind me.

I am just as confused as you are. Because tonight, i reset it again, and drove like a hot rod. I mean flooring it nonstop and actually going 5 over the speed limit (thats a big step). LOL. At all i got was 43 mpg. I know that doesn't sound good, but considering how hard i was driving.

I think my Prius is happier now that the rims are on, and the windows are tinted, which is why he is giving my better milage. Lol

6. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It just means it's time to get your fenders rolled, or a widebody kit.... :D.

Icecoldmittens, those rims look great on the Prius. Still on stock springs? I wasn't sure if the wheelgap would be bad looking if I upgraded my touring to 17s.

7. icecoldmittens

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yep... Everything about the suspension is stock. I am in the process of finding stiffer springs, but i dont really know where to look, or where to get them installed. The handling is so amazing though, i might not even do it. These tires have completely changed the way the car drives. I also dont think there is a bad wheel gap. I like the way they came out a lot.

Now i am dealing the tire pressure warning system. How do i reconfigure it to the new tire pressure settings. I tried holding down the button, but that didnt work. How exactly does the system work. Do the sensors in the tire know how much is supposed to be there, or does the car have a set amount. I just got the rims put on yesterday, and the light never went on. Today around 4pm it turned on. Now when i start the car, it blinks for a minute, then get solid. Has anyone else had this problem? I would love an explanation of the system. Thanks

8. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong here...

The tire pressure monitoring system sort of works wirelessly, but the other component is in the old rim that you replaced. So, no more tire pressure monitoring. I think the only solution for getting rid of the light, is finding the fuse and pulling that. I'd wait for a few more posts to come in after this though, because I could be mistaken. I just remember reading about it in the manual.

9. icecoldmittens

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Heres the thing, when i ordered the new rim, I paid extra for it to have the sensor built in. So unless they messed up, the new rims should also have the sensor. If it does have the sensor, what do i need to do to get the car to recognize them. I went the IRA Toyota Dealership (total jerks, I HATE them!) They told me that the rims are to big, and the car doesnt cant read the sensor. Idiots.... hehe

I replied by saying.... Do you really think the car knows what size rims it has on it. It only knows if there is a sensor to communicate with. Geez

Maybe thats wrong, but i love an excuse to give them a hard time. I honestly have never had anything but a terrible experience there. I have some crazy horror stories, lol

10. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, awesome! well, I guess it is a waiting game to see if someone possessing more technical knowledge posts a reply in here. Otherwise, you could always try out a tech at a local dealer. you might have to pay a minimal hourly charge reguardless... good luck! (keep us posted)

11. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What is an average price for someone changing not only the tires but the rims also,, these rims and tires look kind of expensive to me, but I have not seen anyone talking about price.. I will not consider changing tires yet until I wear out the stock ones that came with the car, but I am a bit interested in a change, what kind yet, I don't know, I am still trying to read all the posts on this tire and rim business, I would like a change, but not if it is going to run almost a grand or more in price. Some of these rims look awfully expensive.

If you don't mind sharing the price can some of you post how much you paid for tires and the rims???

12. icecoldmittens

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My rims are pretty high quality, but that makes a high price tag. My rims and tires cost me $2,600. I know thats incredibly pricey, but i wanted rims that would last. I hated my stock tires, and wanted wider ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. prius70

prius70 Junior Member

you could buy centerlines directly for 250 dollars a piece any style you want

check out there website. . .centerlinewheels.com. . .they have some slick looking strong and light alloys!!

my 18x7's are only 17lbs a piece, the 16's or 17's may weigh less?

cheapest deal on tires 205/40/18 size are the nitto neo gen tires at about 100 bucks a piece online

total cost rims and tires should be close to 1500 dollars

walmart can mount "carry in" wheels for 10 dollars each i hear. . .

i bought mine from discounttires online and the local americastires store did a lifetime mount and balance for 50 dollars because they are the same company

good luck

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe mine were on clearance or something but I got mine from Centerline direct for $150/ea. That is usually the lower limit for a decent light-weight wheels. My 17s were 15lbs/ea.

Total was just over a grand when you consider mounting, balancing, and new wheel locks. :) I could have purchased cheaper tires to keep it under a grand instead of the Kumho Ecstas.

15. prius70

prius70 Junior Member

GOOD DEAL!! That's a steel or should I say "alloy" for those wheels at that weight. . .

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL :rockon:

The more I think about it I think I did buy mine from their "clearance" section.

17. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try searching the forums about the tire pressure monitoring system. If you had brand new pressure sensors installed in the new wheels and left the original sensors in the stock wheels, then you will have to have the dealer program the computer in the car to recognize the new sensors. Also, the new sensors have to be designed to operate with the Prius, they can't just be some random generic tire pressure sensors.

18. keleee

keleee New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hello

I found wheels, now need to get lowering springs :)

image.jpg

Kevin_Denver and Justdidit like this.
  19. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Those rims and tires look nice! can you tell us more about them, where did you order them from?

20. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Looks good. Tell us a little more about them.

and YES, drop that thing!