1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have a copy of the 2005 Navigation DVD?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jaguaraja, Nov 9, 2004.

1. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That only will disable the CSS encoding that video dvds use. If Denso has encoded some other form of protection in the reserved area (that can't be written on consumer DVD writers), then it will be impossible to copy.

Dave

2. rmm20

rmm20 New Member

On licensed material, it is totally unfair to compare cost of media
    with the price charged. That is like saying audio CDs and movies
    should sell for a dollar.

If you want to gripe about price, compare to other GPS data vendors.
    Garmin has a new map update out now. The price is $150.00
    for the update. Toyota should be in this price range.

Robert

3. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

rmm20 is completely correct. I still can't agree with $300 though. I like to keep things updated, but I'm not loaded

4. tag

tag Senior Member

Yes, it does NOT have the DVD-VIDEO file structure.

However, I had no problem creating an ISO file with Decrypter (file size is a little under 8.2 GB). I don't currently have a DL blank to make a backup, though.

5. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Robert,

I don't believe anyone is comparing the price of the media, meaning the blank raw material itself, to what is being charged. You are correct, it's not like we should exclude the cost of the raw data, development time, production, distribution, etc. from the overall per-unit cost. I'm not certain if the data or the backend is licensed, sold outright or otherwise, but I'm guessing it wasn't provided for free.

Moreover, I think what people are getting at is that the manufacturer's cost plus ten percent profit should not equal anything close to $300 per unit - if it does, somebody should be fired. In that sense, it likely costs them a small fraction of that to produce the product, especially if they're producing large quantities. Theoretically, the more they can produce and successfully sell, the lower the per-unit cost. I doubt the relationship between supply and demand is the driving force behind the sky-high price. It does make me wonder how many entities are adding a markup before it finally reaches Joe Consumer, though.

6. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

agreed. If any of you have a chance, please call you local dealership to see what the cost on an updated disc is. There may be big differences in cost based on region.

7. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have compared NAV V4.01 vs. Microsoft Streets & Trips V2001 for a few known erroneous locations and they both contain the same errors. Therefore, I suspect that Toyota may have purchased a manufacturing license from Microsoft for Streets & Trips, and is now marketing that product under the Toyota name.

Having a little experience with this type of marketing strategy, I suspect that two conditions are involved with Toyota's pricing decisions. First, that the Microsoft license was not cheap, so it could take tens, if not hundreds of thousands of units to amortize the cost of the license. Second, I am sure that the NAV option is not a big seller in North America in terms of thousands of cars per year. Therefore license amortization could take many years, maybe even ten. After which time Toyota would be able to lower the price, if they chose, and haven't had to pay for upgrade licenses.

Just a thought....?

8. Dianne

Dianne New Member

I bought this upgrade/update for the 2002 Camry I own with NAV. I have DVD burner, but this DVD is HUGE... I need an 8.5 Meg DVD to make a copy! I also work for Toyota and although the upgrade was NOT cheap... I paid $230 with tax included, I felt it was a smart thing to do because eventually, the cost of technology comes down when we all do it the right way.

9. ifftster

ifftster New Member

Is there another place besides the dealership to purchase this DVD at a more reasonable price?

10. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Not that I know of, but some wily entrepreneur with the proper equipment will try and sell them on ebay and try not to get caught!

11. toyotapartsnow

toyotapartsnow New Member

I hope that person has more money than Toyota :)

12. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

to the ebayer who will be selling copies of the dvd. I'll buy from you. Just say in the description that it is the original. I'd believe you

13. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Be very careful! Copyright infringement is easily detected. When copyright laws are broken, convictions become very expensive to both the seller and the buyer !

As Toyotapartsnow said, we hope you have more money than Toyota, their lawyers, and the US Justice Department!

14. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Part number for the Toyota Navigation Disk is
    86271-33040 list price is $973.36 USD
    ya really. HUA Toyota if you think people will pay that for something that is not accurate.

15. tag

tag Senior Member

This is your official notice then. :D

I now have a backup copy (for personal use only, in the event my original DVD is lost, damaged, stolen, or otherwise becomes unreadable).

For those who want to make a backup, you'll need a DL burner, a DL blank (DVD+R DL), and appropriate s/w (e.g. DVD Decrypter).

16. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tag,

Is the disc readable by the Toyota NAV unit? That's the key factor.

I've been considering getting a DL burner, but not for illegal purposes. Knowing I could have a backup of my MAP DVD would be reassuring.

17. tag

tag Senior Member

Yes, I gave the disk a pretty thorough testing; the NAV had no problem reading the disk. I'll post here if I encounter any anomalies in the future.

18. tag

tag Senior Member

Below are three I'd recommend (all circa $70):

Pioneer

BenQ

NEC

19. prius04

prius04 New Member

I'd like to thank a number of posters above. I never realized how easy it was to get at the nav DVD in my car. I just went and got it out of my car and then downloaded DVD Decrypter and made an ISO copy onto my hard disk. I figure just doing this affords me some protection should the DVD now malfunction.

I don't have a dual layer dvd burner but the 3 leads by tag above all look great so I will likely get one. I find DVD storage safe and easy and I've got a collection of home movies that I moved to digital years ago that would make my sibs quite happy if I put them on DVD and sent them a copy.

But would I need new software to burn these DVDs onto a dual layer burner? I've got Nero version 6. Will this program recognize the second layer?

Thanks for any help.

20. tag

tag Senior Member

Layer breaks can be tricky but Nero should work. For that matter, so should Decrypter (ISO--->WRITE).