1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have a functional Shark Fin Antenna?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by PriusGTRSpecVTypeR, Feb 9, 2006.

1. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My plan is to try to pick up a Florence SC station that's just barely available here. If it comes in better, the antenna is a winner. If I can't hear it at all anymore, that'll mean I've lost some reception.

Maybe next week, based on delivery estimate when ordering...

2. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

I am also waiting to see if we get a group buy...I want one...and the easier to install the beter as I still ahve the moldings waiting to find someone willing to install them!

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Has anybody bought/installed the Shark Fin antenna from Sigma Automotive?

This appears to be an amplified antenna. However, the installation is obviously a lot more complex than the screw-in Sharkfin.

I'd like to know:
    1. Does it fit in the existing antenna hole.
    2. How much of a problem was installation, e.g., headliner, cable routing, etc.
    3. Where did you get power (if applicable).

Thanks. B)
    Tom

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's what started this thread. I don't know about it being amplified, but it will be harder to install (making it more theft resistant), plus it only comes in black (which can be painted).

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, I did re-look at the Sigma website, and now realize the 2-5 day delivery isn't going to be happening unless they have stocked-up on pre-painted Seaside Pearl ones for Prius owners. :lol:

And running power to the antenna will probably mean a trip to an installer unless I'm more lucky than I think and such a wire already runs near there. :mellow:

Ah, well... :rolleyes:

7. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well... I have finally managed to find out who makes the Shark Fin antenna on the Sigma Automotive site. :ph34r: It's from Sky Year Technology. These are the same people that make a totally wireless tire pressure monitoring system (looks like it replaces the standard valve stem).

My interest in the antenna is based on the fact that the spec sheets you get on the Sigma site (click an image) indicates that the antenna is amplified for both AM and FM receiption.

I've asked Sky Year for additional information, e.g., installation instructions, cable lengths, plug wiring/pin-out, etc. Also, if they have an installing dealer in the SF Bay area. (I'm not sure I want to tackle the headliner and cable routing work myself. :unsure: )

Tom

8. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well.... I will be real interested in seeing how this turns out. I ordered a shark-fin for my Prius on Monday and once it arrives if it has not already been documented, I will see if I can install it myself and document the process. I really want to get rid of that stock antenna. I also have a color matched XM antenna on my prius situated in front of the squirter on the roof. I am pretty sure there is no way the shark-fin is going to cover that antenna though.

9. bnlfanmatt

bnlfanmatt Member

Great... I really like (and want) one, but I also like my antenna toppers (I rotate out between a Bears helmeted one and a White Sox capped one.)

Maybe not use the adhesive, and switch between the three options, depending on mood, or when I go to related sporting event?

10. Scott_W

Scott_W New Member

< I am pretty sure there is no way the shark-fin is going to cover that (XM) antenna though. >

Has anyone considered simply using a Terk XM micro antenna like the one Nate used in his spoiler system. My hunch is that it would most likely fin inside of the fin. Side note: I live in a hilly area in the Northeast with a lot of north / south roads and tried the spoiler installation. It worked terribly. I constantly lost the signal. This could be a better solution.

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just got the notice that mine shipped today. Stand by for pictures after it arrives!

12. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Hoo boy! Discounts coming, everyone! Darell just bought his! Everybody in the pool now!

(Couldn't resist. :p Mine is already on order.)

13. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Now you've got it figured out! I'm the guy they put down the hole first to make sure the canary will be OK. ;)

14. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I saw a Prius owner who attached a cell phone antenna (about $12) to the front license plate holder. You can just see the tip from the driver's seat so you have a clue as to where the front bumper is. He uses an antenna topper to make it more visible. You could put it there.

15. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We've sold 17 of them already through the Shop, so once the first set of shipped orders are received we'll get a better idea of just how well these Shark Fin antennae work.

16. tcrowson

tcrowson New Member

I am interested in one also color 6U0

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wish the plural of Prius were as easy...

18. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Prii, as in a Battery (or Pride) of Prii.

I'm guessing it's a Voltage of EV Vehicles.

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah, very good. I think of it more as a Kilowatt of EVs ("vehicle" is implied with the final V here, BTW). Though really, it should be a BATTERY of EVs, and maybe a Gasoclean of Prii?

20. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    V=Vehicle, do'h. Like VIN number and ATM machine. :blink:

Kilowatt or Battery is good for EV.

There's some threads on what the plural should be. Pride, Battery and Fleet have been discussed ("Bunch of" didn't sell well).