1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have a functional Shark Fin Antenna?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by PriusGTRSpecVTypeR, Feb 9, 2006.

1. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Darell -- you know we like you. You're so, I do not know, "electric!"

Rick -- very nice ride! I like the body molding along with the shark fin. And no trim rings to confuse the lines. Nice.

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've heard of this method for ages... and I've even used it once or twice out of necessity. But I sure don't recommend it for all foam-tape removal. Makes the job about 4x as hard since you now have to remove the halves of tape from both pieces. When heat is applied, and the tape is worked off with a sharpened popcicle stick or fingernail (ouch... it gets hot, but the nail sure works well!) you get it all off in one process. Just follow up with wax, and you're as good as new. Often BETTER than new. I've taken emblems off of countless cars now, and this is the method I use 99% of the time.

3. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm pretty sure that that's the nicest thing that'll be said about me today. I'll take it!

4. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is the Shark Fin antenna that screws into the existing base a matter of style over substance? :ph34r:

I'd really like to see someone provide a set of objective numbers as to the performance of this antenna vs. the current stick antenna.

Fractal antenna is a nice phrase to toss around but they tend to have benefits at frequencies much higher than the broadcast (AM) band. IMO, the current sensitivity of the radio/antenna combination is marginal and if the screw-in shark fin degrades performance then it's value is very questionable. Unless, of course, you want it strictly for style because you listen to XM all the time. <_<

Thanks.

5. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are other aspects that you are not considering. Ultimate aesthetics and ultimate reception aren't even in the running for the reasons I'm switching. I need to carry my Rocket Box on the roof, and I cannot do that with the stock antenna in place. Since I'd have to remove the antenna to carry the box, I figure that ANY Reception is better than nothing. And that's why I've gone for the shark fin. I think it will be as good, if not better than anything stubby enough to not interfere with the box.

Here's what I'm talking about.
    http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_racks.htm

6. Tori

Tori Junior Member

Mine arrived today, but it is pouring down rain, so I no chance of installing it.

There is one obvious (to me) paint flaw, and I haven't decided yet if it is worth contacting them about it. Once it is bright and sunny out again I will set it on top of the roof and look at it there, to see whether I still really see the flaw. When it isn't right there in my hand, perhaps it will be subtle enough to just live with it.

7. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tori -

Even if you decide to live with it, please let Arthur know of the flaw. I don't want him to continue using the same paint shop if they're doing an inferior job! You'll be helping other PC members at least! Thanks.

8. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got an e-mail that my shark fin shipped. I also bought one of the XM micro antennas ( a lot smaller then the normal XM antenna) to replace the one that came with my Prius XM unit so that I can hide the micro inside the shark fin.

I will have to figure out how to get the entenna lead inside of the roof with the factory am/fm antenna because I do not want any wires running down the roof like it is presently installed.

Once all this stuff arrives I will check the paint quality of the shark fin and if need be have it repainted. Then I will tackle the install with my brother. Don't worry I will take pictures when I do this and post them and the results.

9. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  10. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That would be my JATO accessory. That's why I need such sturdy racks!

11. robw95

robw95 Junior Member

Ok, back to the sharkfin antenna, what is the consensus, does it improve reception, degrade it, or stay the same?

12. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

I assume you are talking about the one that just screws into the current base. How could it improve receiption? :huh: Fractal antenna designs tend to work well only at much higher frequencies. (think cell phones) I'm an old radio man and as far as I know at AM and FM frequencies there just isn't any free lunch when it comes to RF.

I'm hoping to install one of the Shark Fin amplified antennas from Sigma (manufacturered by SkyYear Technology) but I haven't gotten my courage up to the point where removing the base (which means tackling the interior trim, heandliner, etc.) is something I want to attempt. :unsure: The Simga antenna replaces the base and, as it is amplified, requires 12VDC .

13. robw95

robw95 Junior Member

Yes, I am referring to the one offered by Visual Garage that Danny arranged the group by with. do not know how it could improve reception but a according to their website :

Through testing, we found that the VG Shark Fin Antenna performed consistently better than any stubby antenna fitted on the same car.

My Prius FM reception is lame and I like the looks of the sharkfin but don't want to the weaken the radio reception anymore. Several people have reported that they received them I was just wondering how the reception is.

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't think there is any question that reception will be degraded. Nobody's putting these on to increase the reception, certainly. The ENTIRE reason I'm doing it is to keep the antenna out of the way of my cargo on the roof racks.

15. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

I think to operative words here are "better than any stubby antenna" . I don't consider the stock antenna as a "stubby". Short maybe, but not a stubby. :rolleyes:

16. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    robww95,
    The reception is degraded. For stations that were fairly weak before the shark fin antenna was installed, I do not get them (especially a.m.). For stations that were strong prior to the S-F install, I cannot tell any difference.

FYI, I live in a suburb of the Chicago...no shortage of stations-strong or weak. Besides, as I previously posted, I listen to XM almost all of the time. I installed it mainly for aesthetics...I am very happy with that aspect of it.

Does that help?

17. robw95

robw95 Junior Member

Rick, thank you very much, that was exactly the answer that I was looking for. Rob

18. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That might become a slight advantage here. If you don't have a 2006 and you're using an FM transmitter for your aux input, there may be less conflict between the signal of the transmitter and the outside station.

19. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd like to know if anybody has answers on how the shark fin actually works, now that a few brave Priususers have bought them. I live in the LA area, and don't use AM/FM that often, but it would be nice if it works. The stock antenna on my Prius beats the stock antenna on my Subaru in the two mountain passes thru which I commute. I am interested in the fin mostly for ease of putting my car cover on and off. Any reception difficulties? It does look pretty cool.

20. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A

Look four posts up. Rick Grahn gave a review.