1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have a functional Shark Fin Antenna?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by PriusGTRSpecVTypeR, Feb 9, 2006.

1. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To remove the original large XM antenna, I outlined it with two layers of blue painter's tape to protect the paint. Then I used dental floss to cut through the thin tape strips on both sides of the XM antenna. Then I used a thin plastic putty knife to work my way under the antenna and pop it off the roof. I did not have any paint damage from the removal, but I did see two lines indented in the paint (not scratches) from the XM antenna attaching so tightly to the roof. I cleaned and waxed the roof and installed the new XM antenna and the shark fin. Can't notice the two lines on the roof. Good luck everyone.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What color is your car, by the way, Cairo? It looks like the Magnetic Grey, but that's not available yet... Maybe it's just the lighting in some of the pictures, because in others it looks like the Classic Silver Metallic.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Danny -

I can tell you from experience that my classic silver can photograph anywhere from Tideland Pearl to whilte. I swear - even parked next to my Silver Rav4EV, this Classic silver looks white in some pictures. Crazy stuff! That said, I think Cairo's is something darker than the Classic Silver (plus he didn't have trouble with the paint, so that discounts CS right there!) :)

4. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry guys, mine is Tidelands Pearl. Love that color. Looks like a grey/green to me.

5. wcatabay

wcatabay Junior Member

Hello Danny, I ordered my shark fin on March 4th and I received confirmation that it's been ordered, but I have not received it. No sign of a confirmation that it's in the mail.

How long does this process take from date of order? Can anyone tell me how it took to get your fin from the order date.

Thanks for the help in responding. Wilbur

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Took me over a month. But then I'm a special case. These are painted AFTER they're ordered, so they don't come lickety-split, that's for certain.

7. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Mar 17 2006, 03:31 PM) [snapback]226129[/snapback]</div>
    Cairo, do you have any links to the site(s) where you purchased the xm micro antenna and splitter? I assume that the sharkfin antenna is the one from this site?

TIA :D

8. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, no links. But if you go to their site you shoudl be able to find it quickly. I bought the fin from our site. Took maybe 3 weeks to get. Good luck.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just installed my Shark Fin antenna and new micro XM antenna hidden beneath it. Thanks a LOT to Cairo for his helpful photos and hints.

Just a couple points on the things I encountered and did a little differently as well as emphesising a few other points that need to be paid close attention to.

1)I couldn't figure out how to detatch the light on the roof...but I didn't try all that hard either. I found that I could reach what I needed to just by removeing the 3 little retaining buttons and pulling down the roof liner. A little more awkward and tight, but not that bad.

2)Be careful when pulling down the liner. I managed to completely lose one of the retaining 'buttons'--thought it went behind the kids' car seats, took them out, felt b/w the cushions, looked under the seats, on the garage floor, everywhere I could think to look...never found the dang thing. Hopefully it'll turn up one day. I never even saw it pop off, it just disappeared.

3)Feeding the long wire through the hole in the roof is a bit of a pain. Mine ended up tangled. I detangled enough to reach my tuner without much problem and just left the rest of the 'spagetti' up under the roof liner.

4)The notch in the seal on the old antenna base does not need to be very big. Indeed, in hind sight, I wonder if it's needed at all. Be sure to look at the guage of the wire for the XM antenna before you start to cut. I might even consider just using a tiny round file or something just to make a slight groove for the wire so that the seal will be tight if you do make any kind of mod to the seal.

5)Definately use the painter's tape to align the Shark Fin before you try to attach it. Esp. with the XM antenna there's just barely enough room for the Shark Fin to fit over them front to back (maybe a centimeter of 'play'), but side to side there's plenty). Even checking, double checking, retaping when I thought it was off, then aligning neatly within my tape I ended up slightly off center. I don't think it's noticable unless you are intentionally looking for it, but it's not perfect to my moderate disappointment.

6)BE VERY CAREFUL removing the paper over the adhesive on the Shark Fin. I made the cuts as recommended before trying to remove the paper but still ended up pulling off the adhesive part from the foam for about 1/3rd of the seal! I had some spray adhesive at home so I carefully sprayed some of that onto the remaining foam that did not have adhesive on it and I think that saved the day. I had to do some clean up of the spray that leaked onto the Shark-fin and onto the roof of the car, but Goo-gone took care of it without any problem.

I'm very pleased with the appearance. Getting rid of the 10cm x 10cm ugly black box of an XM antenna I had before alone would have been worth the effort of replacment...wish I'd done that 2 years ago. But having both antennas hidden and a very nice Shark-fin that seems to fit with the curvy and sleek styling that the Prius has just seems to be a more logical antenna and appearance to me. I wouldn't have done this just to be 'cool', I honestly think it looks more natural and aerodynamic on the Prius.

10. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 30 2006, 07:57 AM) [snapback]232343[/snapback]</div>
    You could see if Visiual Garage would cut loose with another die-cut piece of the foam tape, and give it another shot. That said - I too went through great mechanations to assure the antenna was straight. And when I was all done, I could have sworn it looked about half an inch off at the back. Twenty measurements later, and I've assured myself that it is, in fact, perfectly straight. So, even if yous measures off a bit, maybe it looks straighter than mine! :)

Same feeling here. I'm not all that worried about aesthetics on a car that started off looking the way this on did, but with the wheel covers off, the antenna on and the tint - it actually starts to look like something. :)

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW,
    I just went out for a test of the antenna's reception.

Definately decreased reception...both for the AM/FM stations (some local stations actually seemed staticy) and for the XM. I used to be able to pick up my XM channels from inside the garage with minor break up of the signal as I pulled in. Now it really doesn't pickup at all inside the garage.

XM was fine outside so I'm certainly not changing anything, but folks should be aware before they do the mod.

And Darell, I haven't pulled off the wheel trims yet...maybe I'll do that today just for grins and to see if I like it. I've looked bofore and always thought the indent at the outside of the wheel looked unnatural, but the concensus certainly seems to be that it looks a lot better.

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 30 2006, 08:54 AM) [snapback]232392[/snapback]</div>
    It takes about three seconds to give it a try. Nothing to lose (except ugly!). :) It does bring up the question - if that last 0.0000003 Cd was important enough to add the covers, why didn't they just form the wheels smoother in the first place? Other makers have done that with great sucess (Honda hybrids, the EV1, etc). No reason to go the plastic add-on and ugly route.... but I digress...

To my eyes, THIS is what looks unnatural. But then it all comes down to what you're used to... and may be just a wee bit subjective. :)

[​IMG]

13. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

Just installed a Seaside Pearl sharkfin on my '06 and I'm very happy with it. I also notice that the paint finish quality on mine is indistinguishable from my cars's (different than observations previously posted on this thread). A couple of questions:

1. While installing, I noticed that the my roof had a lot of "give" in the area where the antenna is mounted---noticed as I pressed down to secure the adhesive. Did others notice this as well?

2. Has anyone taken their sharkfin through an automated car wash yet? Did it survive?

With regards to reception, I find that the AM reception is better than the stubby I had on (and for me, maybe even the OEM). FM is still worse than OEM.

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acousticbiker @ Apr 2 2006, 07:51 PM) [snapback]233994[/snapback]</div>
    The problem seems to have only been with the Classic Silver (mine!)
    Yup. This thing isn't built to withstand direct mortar hits. :) The skin is THIN.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've done several hours of driving since installing the new XM antenna under the shark fin.

This is sort of a combo warning and suggestion for anyone else considering doing the install this way.

My reception is markedly decreased. It's fine with open sky, no buildings and no power lines, but almost any powerlines will interfere and even areas in valleys that I have driven in many times before with no reception problems caused brief drop outs of XM reception today. So be warned, there is absolutely an impact, if I had to assign a number I'd say it's about a 50% lower reception.

Recommendation...consider moving the antenna built into the shark-fin to an area as remote to where the XM antenna will be as possible...like to the very front narrow slot. Not sure what will be involved to accomplish that, but I have to think that that array is part of the problem if not most of it.

I may write to the shark-fin guys (Darell, do you have an e-mail addy you can send me?) and see if they'll send me a new adhesive and then just redo the antenna myself with pic and other info.

16. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow Doc, I am sorry to hear that your reception is so poor with the fin. My experience was much different. Maybe it is just the area in which I drive. I will wait to see if you can get some new tape from the manufacturer and hope your reception improves if you move that inside antenna part. Good luck.

17. BVISAILMAN

BVISAILMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SharkFin.com does match the Prius colors. I ordered one and have it in Seaside Pearl. Of course I am still waiting for the Prius. It should be in within the week.

Seaside Pearl Option package 8
    Marlborough, MA

18. BVISAILMAN

BVISAILMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My SeaSide Pearl paint on the SharkFin is first rate.....

19. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  20. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 2 2006, 08:20 PM) [snapback]234006[/snapback]</div>
    Info emailed to you, Evan.