1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have a subwoofer under the seat?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Darius510, Aug 1, 2010.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius already has a DC/DC converter for the lead acid battery to charge from the HV battery. I think any draw in 12V will also draw from the HV battery. That is the basis of my measurement.

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

OK, I see where you are coming from! But you need to measure the conveters output current into the BOSS and you will see it's much less than 200 watts, and that's not audio amplificaion, but of amp's power consumption. I bet if you put an amp meter in the HV supply line of the conveter you will have a High Voltage, but a rather small current draw!

3. Darius510

Darius510 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, finally got it installed after a few weeks.

First, the head unit is a Pioneer AVH-3200BT. Highly recommended, good sound quality and features, and built in bluetooth. One of the pics is the bluetooth mic stuck on to the little black blank button under the power button - perfect placement, everyone hears me perfectly.

You can also see the proclip mount for my iphone 4, attached via USB for direct connection to the head unit including charging, although most of the time its either on pandora or TomTom GPS, both of which also have no problems with the audio through USB.

Now as for the subwoofer - it can best be described as adequate. Its almost certainly the best you can do for $150 in such a small enclosure. It meshes well with the also merely adequate stock speakers.

It fits under the seat pretty well, and attached surprisingly securely to the carpet with the included velcro. The vent is completely blocked, but I rarely have any passengers so its no huge loss.

As far as the wiring goes, the power is going straight to the battery in the back, its only slightly exposed near the rear carpet, most of the way through theres plenty of spaces to tuck it in to, but otherwise it goes pretty cleanly and the excess is bundled neatly in the black undertray, which provides very easy access to the battery. The ground is attached under one of the bolts that holds the drivers seat down. The remote power line is attached to a handy remote power wire on the HU harness, which made it a piece of cake since I didnt have to splice into anything.

Down under the power button theres a little gap that opens into the space behind the head unit, so it was very easy to route the wires and the bluetooth mic down there without removing or drilling anything. The cables coming out from there were all bundled up in some wiring loom and tucked under the little storage area between the seats, as pictured.

Overall I'm pretty happy - the sub sounds decent, its out of the way, very little exposed wiring, easily removable. It goes down to about 50hz cleanly, with a noticeable dropoff at 40hz, and its barely audible at 30hz. Again, decent, but nothing special. Its fairly clean and musical when its not driven too hard.

Attached Files:

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am glad you pulled it off yourself. We should meet sometimes and check each other's system out.

You got BASS1200 right?

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good question USB...

Last night I built a 2x4 frame to the dimensions of the BASS 1500. It will fit under the passenger seat but just. I will probably get that one. I am still worried about the vent and the warm air in the winter time.

6. Darius510

Darius510 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, the BASS1200. I tweaked it a bit and drove around with it a bit more and I'm starting to get a bit more impressed. It goes all to hell at really high volumes, but at normal listening levels its fairly well controlled, and not to mention the sealed enclosure gives it a nice flat and balanced response.

I'm not too worried about the vent - amps like to be a good temperature, not too hot not too cold. Whats coming out of those vents in the dead of winter is probably no more than 80-90 degrees, and thats probably not enough to really overheat the thing, plus the vent by the floorboard is almost certainly colder than the dash vents from being so close to the outside air and away from the engine bay. In my old car, the vent in the back was near useless as the air simply couldnt maintain it's heat/cold by the time it got to the back.

If you're really that concerned you could simply block the vent and problem solved. Either way its going to be blocked, either by the sub or whatever you use to cover it. An insulator like rubber would prob do the trick.

I doubt even the smallish 8 inch version can fit under there without at least partially blocking the vent, so you might as well get the bigger version since the

Also, its very secure with the velcro, so theres no need to get any more elaborate with the mounting - just use the pointy side stuck onto the sub and toss away the furry strips - itll grab onto the carpet on its own extremely well.

1 person likes this.
  7. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Just wanted to pass along thanks to those who recommended the Boss sub units. I got the BASS 600 from Amazon for 89.95 shipped and am very happy. I picked up needed parts at Rat Shack for a bit over 20 bucks, and it's wired in and working.
    For my ears, the unit seems to supplement the half-way decent mid-bass provided by the 6X9 woofers that came with the Prius II. Getting things set up for the best fill and least mud took some playing around with the controls, but I ended up with what I find to be very pleasing sound. It's interesting that the front speakers are pretty decent in the II, and there's no real change in factory packages, other than the rear deck. So they're intended to support a better sounding platform, and they really aren't bad, now that there's a better foundation.
    Don't expect much below about 40 hz, but the fill from there up to where the 6X9s give out (around 50-55 hz) is quite good. There's a hint of really low bass there, say 30hz, but it's down a good bit. All in all, a very worthwhile C note expended.
    Here's how I've got mine set up for mine own ears:
    Low Pass - set all the way down, which seems to provide a gentle roll-off above 55hz or so, and keeps the mud factor down.
    Subsonic - all the way down (20hz) since I don't play records in my car, lol.
    Input - I forget, gave it enough to match the iPod out, half scale or so...
    Bass Boost - not sure what that control is for, but it's set pretty low, as gain can be controlled via other means, including the neat little remote.
    Phase Shift: this one makes a big difference - try adjusting it while the system is playing! I found all the way right (180) minimized cancellation effects in my setup, although this will vary with placement, vehicle parameters, and settings on the 6X9s. I was definitely getting a LOT of cancellation at the zero setting.

All in all, this represents a huge improvement in overall sound of the car, and I've re-balanced the entire system based on adding the Boss 600. It's about as good as it can sound, barring the expenditure for a new head unit and more expensive speakers overall. A real steal at 90 bucks.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice write up. I was going to get the 1500, but if your seeing that much improvement with the 600, perhaps I will save a few bucks and get the 1200. Also the 1200 will fit a bit better under the seat.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Absolutely! One of the best bang for the buck mod that I've done. I got the Boss install kit from Amazon for $13 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000FKP7TY?tag=priuschatcom-20

10. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Thanks, Spiderman, a couple things I forgot to mention: I plugged that vent with an old sock, as it would be right against the end of the unit anyway - don't think that's going to make a lot of difference since I don't often carry people in back, and now the air will just go elsewhere through the system.
    Also, for those who have the II unit, there's no easy fix (for me at least) to finding an output for powering the sub on and off, so I removed the 12V power jack on the console and tapped in to the hot lead there, ran that lead to the BOSS so it would power it on when the car is on (or ACC is on) and popped the jack assembly right back in.
    I took 12V main directly from the trunk battery, routing along the baseboard runner - that was pretty easy. I used #12 THHN from Lowe's I had here, as I computed voltage drop on a six foot run as minimal at the <15 A the unit draws (that's how it's fused). The THHN is tough stuff, and should resist being abraded and shorts to chassis. (BTW, for those wondering about RMS ratings, the max for that current draw would be around 150W continuous, and that would be at, like, Class C efficiency, which I doubt.) The unit probably runs no more than 100W (8 amps or so, max continuous draw, with peaks a bit above that).
    I took ground directly from the passenger seat bolt, scraping a bit of paint away.
    Probably more than anyone cares to read about, but I had meant to post it. :)

11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just got my Boss 1200 installed today. Went well and I really like the addition. No, it won't blow the windows out but adds the low end in a subtle but powerful way.
    I couldn't make it work under the passenger seat to my liking so I placed it in the rear storage bin. I was going to place it on the top of the deck but it actually sounded better (more fuller) inside the bin!
    Very happy with it. p.s. also got the $12 install kit which was worth it.

Attached Files:

• sub.jpg
      sub.jpg
      File size:
      73 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  12. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    That looks like a really nice installation. I sometimes wish I'd opted for a little bit bigger Boss unit - just to try get a few cycles lower.
    Bet that baby rocks out down there in the bin!

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, now that it is back there, I wish I went for the 1500! But this good enough. It is really hard to see out of the rear view mirror. :eek:

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For those looking to install under the seat, do you NOT recommend BOSS1200?

The install kit came with so many goodies I never knew I needed. It was a $12 well spent.

15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wouldn't. Just cause it extended beyond the seat in it's normal position and I have have children in the back seat. I could easily see wet gunk getting splattered on it. Plus I didn't want to block the vent under the seat as it gets cold up here.

Thanks again for your input on the subject!

16. Grayson73

Grayson73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Will the Bass1200/Bass1500 fit under the driver's seat of a Gen II?

If not, is it:

A. Better to get the Bass1200/Bass1500 for the hatch above the spare tire
    B. Better to get the Bass1200/Bass1500 for the passenger footwell
    C. Better to get the Bass600 for under the driver's seat (I have JBL amp under the passenger seat)?

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    BASS600 is a perfect fit under passenger seat of Gen2 Iconic Prius. Any bigger and it would not fit.

18. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If I was doing this today, I'd look at the low profile (big $$) woofers, and mount it into the actual plastic in the rear (cut a circular hole), maybe even beef it up a bit (add a plastic support to the under side). This seems to be what the Euro sub is - and should be very good. Cost for that type install is around $300 (sub + amp). I run a Boss under passenger seat, and find it fine - but I don't listen very loud and thumpy.

19. jerrydelrey

jerrydelrey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What is included in the install kit?