1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have age data of PiP owners?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by mozdzen, Jul 7, 2012.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Two words: Autonomous Vehicles

2. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    That will be nice. Then we can find them when they are "missing". I do believe autonomous driving will be here well before EV adoption. Meaning - the percentage of cars sold with autonomous driving will lead the percentage that are EV. Yep, agreed, shouldn't be a problem and better yet, the elderly can have their support children put the car into "Autonomous Mode Only".

markabele likes this.
  3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm 57, bought mine in August of this year (2015 model). I'll be 58 very soon. I agree with what was posted awhile ago, hybrids are more popular now than back in 2005. I see all ages driving the Prius. I think overall, people have gotten smarter when it comes to car buying. Gasoline cannot be purchased on sale, bought in bulk or stored for when prices go up. As a result, the only thing the consumer can do is get a car that gets good gas mileage. There was a time I was spending nearly 200 dollars a week in gas. That is when the light bulb went off. I want to avoid spending that much of my income on gas. Thus, the Prius.

PriusC_Commuter and mozdzen like this.
  4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It may just be a matter of getting used to a new way of doing things. There may come a day when the sound of an engine roaring to life when the key is turned will be as foreign a concept as a phone dial. Merchants are experiencing delays as people get used to using the credit card chip readers rather than the old "swipe", but that will change as people get used to using chip cards. My wife, who is about as non-technical as they come, now has no trouble alternating between her "turn the key and roar to life" SUV, and my silent "get in car and push start button" PiP.

5. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I hate that stupid chip thing. It's just a stop gap. The tech is already here to pay with our phones. Not sure why more people aren't doing it. I do it every chance I get. (and it's more secure)

6. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When merchants upgrade their POS (Point of Sale, not the other meaning of the acronym :)) equipment to accept chip cards, they usually have the the option to include a tap-and-pay reader, so they can accept Apple Pay/Android Pay. The underlying payment software is the same.

And to think that people once had to get a key out of their pocket to unlock their car, and then put the key into a slot on the steering column and turn it to "start" their gasoline engine. How quaint! :D

7. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    And to think they had to have keys, like the car couldn't recognize that you were an authorized driver?

8. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm 65, this is my twelfth car - Pontiac - Mercury - BMW - VW - Porsche - SAAB - Honda - Honda - Nissan - Scion - Smart - Toyota.

Working harder than ever, but my commute is smooth.

mrlebop and mozdzen like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    time to retire!:p

mrlebop likes this.
  10. potatoesLOL

potatoesLOL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm 28!! :)

I get such a kick doing calculations with the PiP. Then again, I was a financial advisor for a couple years and majored in math and economics haha.

As an undercover geek I absolutely love the technology. The PiP really fits my personality and style.

I got the Winter Gray PiP Advanced with HDD Entune, leather, everything. No regrets!!! I couldn't ask for anything more.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And to think, getting a replacement car key used to be under $10. :whistle:

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it pays not to lose them. i figure i'm about $4,000. ahead of the game.

mrlebop likes this.
  13. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    My wife's newly replaced key fob battery went bad while out doing errands. Had to read the manual to figure out how to start the car when the fob's battery is dead. Nice to know there is a workaround. I don't like carrying more than $40 in cash. With the key fob, I'm carrying around $400 in effective cash. Add a $400 smart phone and a key fob for the other car and all of a sudden, I've got over $1200 worth of stuff on me. If I fall into a pool, the $40 cash survives, but the other 3 items turn into electronic junk.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I put a luggage tag with phone number and email on my wife and my fob. Similar for our phones. And the locking hub nut socket: taped phone no. and email to it. A tire shop employee can misplace it too easily.