1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have experience with heated wipers?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by DaveOrgans, Jun 26, 2006.

1. DaveOrgans

DaveOrgans New Member

Has anyone out there had any experience with heated windshield wipers. My current car suffers from ice build-up on the wipers during the winter and I am thinking of getting some heated wipers for the new Prius.

Dave H.

2. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    News to me. I never heard of them. Are they stock on some high-end cars?

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I don't know about heated wipers either, but I know some cars have heated washer fluid. I ordered our Volvo XC90 witht he Cold Weather Package and it included heated washer fluid. Combined witht he defroster, it allows you to squirt and melt off the ice. The wipers are still the same wipers.

I know Mercedes and Audi have this type of Cold Weather Package.

Don't know of any aftermarket kits to do this, but then again I've never looked.

4. DaveOrgans

DaveOrgans New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen @ Jun 29 2006, 05:59 PM) [snapback]278814[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know if they are stock on high end cars. I found them while browsing www.sigmaautomotive.com and it seemed like a good idea. I had a lot of trouble last winter with the wipers freezing on my Murano. The windows would eventually warm up sufficiently to melt precipitation, but the snow would freeze on the wipers and lift them off the windshield. Apparently, the installation requires a connection to the 12V switched power and installs a switch in the cabin. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if they a) worked, and b) were worth the bother of installing them. One downside is that replacement blades are expensive. I understand they do not yet make a 26" blade, but are expected to have one by Sept.

Dave H.

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David H. Hawkins @ Jun 29 2006, 07:16 PM) [snapback]278851[/snapback]</div>
    I hadn't seen those before. Like I said, some cars have some sort of heated washer fluid, but I've never seen heated wipers, so I really have no idea. I imagine they would have some effect though.

6. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is an add-on made by some company I cannot remember that essentially is a small tankless-water-heater for wiper fluid. It goes between the punp and blades. The cost, if I remember corectly, was about $300.

my solution has always been to:
    1) use premium de-iceing wiper fluid. It only costs $1 more and is worth every cent; and
    2) flip my blades into the up and out position when parked. I turn off my car with the blades at the peak of their cycle (so they are easy to reach) and just flip them up. That way they do not ice to the window and the wiper fluid will come out and de-ice the window when I go to drive again and just flip them back down before I get in. (this was on my pontiac. I have not tries to flip the blades up on my new prius, so I do not know if they do this)

7. DaveOrgans

DaveOrgans New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmann @ Jun 30 2006, 12:08 AM) [snapback]278953[/snapback]</div>
    I have used this method, but unfortunately, the icing condition occurs AFTER I have cleared the windshield and started driving. Up here in New England, we occasionally get "ice fogs" which are basicly clouds of supercooled water, which freeze instantly to any surface it touches. I have seen the heated washer fluid dispensers, but I don't think they would be any good for ice that is NOT on the surface of the windshield. The ice buildup on the blades tends to clog the back of the blade, preventing it from flexing to follow the curve of the windshield. In my experience, once the defroster gets the windshield up to temperature, new precipitation stays liquid (or melts on contact), but the ice on the blades is too far from the windshield to benefit from that heat. Remember, the object here is not to keep the ice off the windshield (that is already done), but off the blade so it will continue to lay flat against the windshield.

Dave H.

8. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    you know, there are "winter blades" which are just blades that have the the mechanical flex stuff enclosed in a rubber bag to keep water out.

Example:
    [​IMG]

9. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

heated blades seem like they;d be problematic somehow.

10. DaveOrgans

DaveOrgans New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmann @ Jun 30 2006, 11:58 PM) [snapback]279514[/snapback]</div>
    Hi jmann,

Thanks, I'll look into them.
    Dave H.