1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have experience with tire repair kit?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MitchR, Oct 7, 2016.

1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahhh - I knew there were a few other Metric rims around - but as far as I know, the PUG was the only one which made it here. Was it Michelin behind the crazy idea? We never got the Metro here. BMW might have used them too?

kithmo likes this.
  2. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    IIRC the OEM run flat tyres were Dunlops.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Bling is main reason people want big rims, some cars look better with bigger wheels. Personally I think 15" look too small for the Prius, it makes it look a bit bloated in the body, I prefer 16" as on SWMBO's Gen2, just the right size IMO.
    Actually the 17" on mine look like 16" because 1/2" of the outer edge of the rim is painted black.
    Here in the UK top branded 205/45 R17 tyres are around £100-£150 each but decent cheaper tyres can be had for around £60.

alanclarkeau and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, might look better to some people. Personally, I've experienced both and would always opt for the higher profile. When I bought the PRIUS, 2 other cars on my shortlist I wiped off (Ford FOCUS and LEXUS CT200h) because, to get the equipment I wanted, they insisted on fat, low profile tyres. Volvo V40 was the same, PUG 308 too. The fat tyres wrecked the ride - and possibly the economy - and much more expensive to replace.

I figure when I'm inside driving, I'm enjoying the good ride and rarely get to look at the wheels anyway.

Mendel Leisk and kithmo like this.
  5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Agreed, as they say, " beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
    I'm more than happy with the ride on my 17", I did make sure it was ok before buying by insisting on a test drive in one with 17", luckily the demo car did.

alanclarkeau likes this.