1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have problems in a huge traffic jam?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FishHawk, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have had quite a few people here who accidentally simulate the longest traffic jam you can imagine: they get out of their cars and go away leaving it running. When they come back, hours later, they find everything perking along quite normally and a lower tank of gas.

The "neutral" thing got my eye though. In a "regular" car, it is normal to put the car in neutral during a long stop and perhaps this is the culprit.

2. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've experienced lots of stop and go in the Florida heat with my AC cranking. Worst case scenario for me was low mileage and by low, I mean 46. Not too shabby. The Prius takes care of itself in those situations.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That may be it. Do not put the Prius in "N" while standing in a traffic jam, at a railroad crossing, or whatever, because in "N" the engine will not recharge the battery. If you feel you must do something, put it in "P" or turn it completely off.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 17 2006, 06:17 PM) [snapback]334233[/snapback]</div>
    No, because the *car* which darelldd drives most is not a bicycle: it's a true electric car, recharged from his home Solar power system.

4. Rmutzabaugh

Rmutzabaugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    What use to freak me out was when the engine stoped when sitting at a red light or stop sign. :blink: It does take some getting use too. After which I now freak out passengers that have never riden in a Prius. :lol:
    And yes I was smiling when on vacation on I-95 at New Haven sitting in that morning traffic. I use to think all those other places had all the traffic but Harrisburg, Pa is getting to be just the same. Wife won't let me put a bumper sticker on the Prius with a big smily face either. Or the Submarine Vet License plates, as this is what our old WWII submarines did they recharged the batteries via the engines. Now just trying to figure where to put the nuke plant, to bring it up to Rickover codes B) .

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Subsailor @ Oct 23 2006, 06:51 AM) [snapback]336683[/snapback]</div>
    Mr. Fusion! (tau-meson catalyzed deuterium-deuterium fusion reactor)

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Original comment...
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 17 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]334233[/snapback]</div>
    ...and the reply...
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Oct 19 2006, 05:31 AM) [snapback]334976[/snapback]</div>
    Actually I think hyo's referring to Darell's body, specifically his heart (as a joke). If that's pure electric and is recharged by solar power, he'd better hope there's no string of cloudy days. :)

7. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Subsailor @ Oct 23 2006, 04:51 AM) [snapback]336683[/snapback]</div>
    I've gotten so used to it that whenever I ride in a regular car and we're stopped at a light, it takes me aback for a few moments when the car continues to idle and shake with the engine still on. On occasion in the Prius, my husband will still point out that my car has just 'stalled' when the engine stops (I think he does it to be funny though). I just reply with an "oops, looks like this car must be a piece of junk then, huh?". ;)

8. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

Ok just so we all understand this. It was said earlier if we keep it out of neutral the engine will kick in when the battery gets low BUT...for clarity's sake suppose...

I am sitting in my car on a rainy day waiting for my child to get out of school with defogger and wipers on and I am in PARK....will the motor kick in when the battery goes down to two bars? I may have to sit as long as 25-30 minutes.

Thanks for further insight and a more comforting feeling next time around

Happy Holiday everyone
    Roger

9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think I was in that same traffic jam. I sat in stop and go (mostly stop) traffic for over an hour. The battery went down to two bars, and just as I (finally!) parked the car, the last bip on the fuel meter started blinking! However, coming home I went to a gas station right at Logan airport. After filling up, I switched over to the other screen and saw the battery was back up to six bars, and I'd been driving less than 10 minutes.

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roger3125 @ Nov 25 2006, 05:28 PM) [snapback]354070[/snapback]</div>
    Yes.

11. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

Tahat answers the question about sitting in heavy traffic but what about when you need to park and have to keep the AC or defroster on becasue you have an elderly person in the car. I noticed after about 15-20 my battery indicator bars went low low and alomost gone.

Not knowing what to expect I staarted it up but what if I hadn't? Would the battery continue to discharge slowly but surely until it was poof?

12. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roger3125 @ Nov 27 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]354669[/snapback]</div>
    If you're going to sit for a while, keep the car on in "ready" mode (i.e. pull into the parking place and just hit the "park" button--do NOT turn the car off). The battery will discharge down to two bars, and soon after that the engine will come on until the battery goes to maybe 3 bars. Then the engine will turn off again. This will repeat until you come out and drive away in it. The battery will not be damaged--the battery cartoon on the screen only shows a 40% to 80% state of charge--the computer won't let the battery exceed those ranges.

If you leave the car "running" in the above manner for long periods (i.e. an hour or two), you'll take a noticeable mileage hit. However, when you need to do it, it's perfectly safe! :)

13. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If the car is "on" or "ready" as the Prius likes to call it, and there is gas in the tank, you will never run out of battery charge. If you run electric goodies with the car NOT "ready" then you will quickly drain the 12V Aux battery which is now not being recharged by the traction pack, which is now not being recharged by the ICE engine.

Simple as that: Ready + gas = no battery drain problems.

We all clear? :)