1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone here consider the Prius v?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by samyul, Apr 3, 2012.

1. samyul

samyul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hello everyone, a Priuschat newbie, here. I've been lurking for the past few weeks and finally decided to jump in. Obviously, I'm very late to the game. I never placed an online order on the PIP, and I did not even contemplate the PIP until I learned about the green sticker.

Just to give some background, my wife is due with our 1st child in late August, and since she has a non-family friendly, two door coupe, we're in the market for a new car. Also, we're planning to move from LA to Irvine with me commuting to LA for work beginning around November. Anyway, the main 3 factors I've been contemplating are:

* Cargo space (ad v)
    * Commuting from Irvine to LA (ad PIP)
    * Cost (ad v)

I was wondering if anyone here can offer any further insight as to those 3 factors. For cargo space, I've read the vehicle specifications, but in real terms, how much of a difference is it between the two vehicles? For the commute, I suppose I also have the option of just taking the train, but in doing my research, I would probably save about 30 minutes each way with the green sticker.

Lastly, on cost, am I pretty much forced to pay significantly above MSRP? I've spoken to several dealers, and each are charging $2K-$5K above MSRP for orphaned PIPs. On the other hand, I have a hookup that told me he could get me the Prius v or the regular Prius at pretty much invoice, which would be about a $10K difference. Anyway, I was curious if anyone else weighed such factors and what conclusion he or she reached.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You might want to place and secure a car seat in the two Prius cars. Maybe you'll be doing that quite a bit. Roof line is higher in v, will be easier, but maybe regular Prius is good enough.

1 person likes this.
  3. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    For cargo space, you really should visit a Toyota dealer and look at the v and Plug-in yourself. The v is definitely larger, but "how much of a difference" that makes is a personal opinion and no third party can substitute for your own.

For commuting, you already figured how much time you'll save. How much that is worth to you is again a personal opinion.

For cost, the pre-orders have just finished manufacturing, so there should be more regular stock instead of just orphaned Plug-ins once they all get delivered. Since you are in the area, try contacting Dianne of Carson Toyota to get a better price. Finally, the Plug-in is eligible for a $2,500 federal tax credit (be sure you have enough tax liability to take full advantage of this) and a $1,500 from the Clean Vehicle Rebate Program, which reduces the difference in price.

1 person likes this.
  4. Piprius

Piprius Member of the cult of Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    As far as carseats go, I just got the PiP and have a huge Britax Marathon in the car and there is tons of room. I would not worry about carseats in the v or the PiP/regular. I can't speak for the c though.

5. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Go to Carson Toyota, speak with Dianne Whitmire- she has cars you can sit in and feel - due to her volume.

6. SCDrJ

SCDrJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congrats on the new addition!

The Irvine to LA commute is rough. My wife did it for > 3 years with a Civic/no stickers, Prius + old yellow stickers, and the Metrolink. I asked her for her comments and she said the following:

- The train is great, but only if you live/work close to the stations, otherwise the time is the same as driving in non-HOV traffic. If you move close to the Tustin or Irvine stations, and work close to Union Station in LA this is an excellent option. If your work hours are set it can be great, but if highly variable make sure the train schedule works. She found the ride very relaxing, especially if you have a smartphone or tablet to catch up on life with! She had to stop the train as the bus line from Union Station to her work was cancelled.

- Commute for her WITH HOV stickers was 45 mins AM (arriving LA 7:30), 45-60 mins PM (leaving LA 5:00ish)

- WITHOUT stickers the commute was + 30 mins in the AM, + about 45 in the PM (range 30-60). She said always minimum of one hour less commuting with the stickers.

As a new dad myself, the commodity that I now most value is time at home with the family. I would strongly suggest either moving close to a Metrolink station and forgetting about the drive if your LA work location and schedule fits it, or getting the HOV stickers. With the train, you could get your wife the family car and leave the 2-door at the station!

Another consideration is that car seats are now rear-facing until 2 years of age (or more if your kid will still fit). Do yourself a favor and bring your wife and the car seats (test both infant bucket and the convertible you will use next - we took cars to Babies 'r us before we bought seats) to any test drive and make sure they fit with you both in comfortable seating position. If either of you are above 5'9" you may have issues. I do at 6'1" for sure, which is why we have a Sienna for around town. If the new car spends its time in LA on your commute, will the wife still be jamming the kiddo into the car seat in the two door? Just a little food for thought.

7. RichardAK

RichardAK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for reminding me why I moved from southern California to Alaska! :)

Personally, I would take the train if it is a reasonable option. Not having to deal with the traffic at all would be a good thing. Thirty years ago I had a 64 mile round trip commute and driving was only 40 minutes faster than by bicycle.