1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone here have Paris/France Travel Tips?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ggood, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've been to Paris several times and during each trip I experienced some anti-American sentiment. Interestingly, there's also been a willingness to engage, discuss and move beyond stereotypes if you're willing to take the time.

25yrs ago in Luxembourg Gardens a guy sat down next to me and made a comment about 'you rich Americans'. I tried to explain in my pitiful french that I'd just arrived that day, flown for free (family frequent flyer miles), was staying with a friend so I didn't have to pay for a hotel and this was my first trip abroad. Eventually, he became a little more friendly and suggested things to do and places to eat.

5 years ago while in Paris on business, I was caught with 'how could you have re-elected Bush?!' The french were not happy. Conveniently I explained I was from MA and moved the discussion to less stressful topics. After that they were extremely helpful with suggestions of things to do and places to eat (I added time to my business trip for fun). They (native Parisians BTW) said not to take the unfriendliness of the Parisians personally, they didn't like them either!

Plan on taking public transportation and walking a lot - you'll need to do that to burn off the calories! +1 on Ste. Chapelle. It's small but the colors are incredible. Enjoy your trip!