1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone here have the open pilot comma AI?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Pdxprimeguy, Jan 9, 2020.

1. illumiN8i

illumiN8i Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Openpilot is far superior to the Toyota lane departure alert with steering assist that is included on the Prius. If it doesn't have enough steering torque to make it through a curve you'll get an alert sound and a message that says "curve exceeds steering limit" so you know it needs steering help. I rarely see that alert. It will all make sense once you have the system installed on your car.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes, there is only so much torque the Toyota electronic steering motor can provide and Commai doesn't/can't provide additional power (it's just software and extra cameras). I've found if one sticks to the posted speed limit for the curve, or about +5mph over, it handles curves just fine; even 75mph interstates. It begins to drift to the outside of the turn as it reaches its steering limits so a helping hand is sometimes needed. (oh the agony! LOL)

In stock form, my Clarity provides WAY more steering torque than the Prius and can pretty much drive itself except it is severely restricted by Honda and times out very quickly. Commai just removes those artificial barriers (even more if the user wants to modify the publicly released code).

3. Tha_Ape

Tha_Ape Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You have to pay attention, but is you have the DSU disconnected it does a MUCH better job around curves. In general, unless it's a tight 90 deg bend or A LOT of tight curves in a row, it does well.

I live around a lot if curvy roads and it will handle most of them. After using it for a while you learn it's limits and since you're always paying attention (right?), it isn't an issue.

If anything the more you use it, the less you intervene because you learn what it cam and can't handle.

On highways, 99% of the curves require no intervention. The only time you may have to intervene is when there's a tight 90deg bend (rare on moderm highways)

Pdxprimeguy and illumiN8i like this.
  4. snakeshoes

snakeshoes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This video might answer your question well. I was curious about what it's like in real life and was quite intrigued. Also, a very good comparison and test.

benagi, fotomoto and Prime Alex like this.
  5. sam321

sam321 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Been reading about comma.ai recently. Don't have one (yet), but would like to know:
    1) Does the comma.ai hardware use its own camera or just the car's forward-facing camera or both? If own H/W, is it the rear camera on the Android phone they sell with the unit?
    2) I hear the ACC is very conservative (like keeps 2 secs behind the car in front). Is that determined by the car's native ACC or fixed in the comma.ai code itself (and hence can be changed by user)?
    3) The RAV4 Hybrid (2019 or 2020 model) is not listed on the website as being compatible w/ the comma.ai H/W. Is it truly incompatible or the site isn't updated yet for the RAV4 Hybrid?
    4) Is the $24/month subscription required to avail of all the features while driving? Or can I just use wifi later to upload everything?

Thanks!

6. Tha_Ape

Tha_Ape Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    1) it's own, yes the camera on the device

2) the ACC is determined by the software, theoretically you COULD change it, but you'll have you SSH into the device and alter the code or find someone else who has. Alternatively, you can just leave the DSU in your car connected, use the stock cruise control, and let the device just control the steering.

3) unsure on this one, but I'd be highly surprised if it wasn't supported

4) No, you don't need a subscription

------

Personally, when I first got it, I took baby steps. I just let Comma.ai control the steering. After a month or two, I unplugged the DSU and let it control the throttle and brake as well. Ive kept it in that configuration ever since. Its better for stop and go traffic.

The following distance is a bit further, but nothing crazy. About the length of an 18 wheeler at highway speed.

7. illumiN8i

illumiN8i Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a modified version of openpilot that works on the 2019+ RAV4 Hybrid. I'm working on getting it upstreamed into official openpilot.

fotomoto and Tha_Ape like this.
  8. Pdxprimeguy

Pdxprimeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just got the comma two today! Installed and drove 200 miles already. I think I need to center it more and move it higher. It kinda hugs the left side more then it centers and ping pongs a little. So far I love it! I think it actually drives better when there is no lead car. 5969D34A-597E-415F-A7B5-BB538A103A9F.jpeg

Tideland Prius likes this.
  9. eskudo12791

eskudo12791 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    If your profile is correct, and you drive a 2017 prime, you will keep getting ping pong due to the poor steering sensor. I ultimately purchased the speed sensor hardware from erich and run his custom fork, probably wouldnt hurt if you moved to his default folk

Pdxprimeguy likes this.
  10. Pdxprimeguy

Pdxprimeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the info! I may consider doing this.

11. garglo

garglo Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I've noticed more "ping-pong" with .7-.7.1 than with .6.6. Please report more impressions of comma2

Pdxprimeguy likes this.
  12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That's exactly what mine did and I was going to move it too but.... I'm a procrastinator and what do you know? After a few drives/uploads and updates, it now stays more center and much less ping-pong (wheel probably saws a degree or two from center now). I just eyeballed the mount location while trying to line up both cameras. :cautious:

IIRC, there is a way to change settings in the EON for offset but I have not looked into this.

Edit: just saw 0.7.1 update this morning and now adds lane changes to its features. Will try out at lunch!

Pdxprimeguy likes this.
  13. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Interesting article comparing Comma.ai to Cadillac Super Cruise and Tesla Autopilot in to February edition of Car and Driver. The last paragraph talks about it being a dealer installed add on. It goes on to say "But that will be difficult, as both Honda and Toyota are against the installation of the system in their vehicles. Toyota has gone so far as to say it will void the factory warranty. This seems shortsighted, though as the carmakers could learn a lot from what the Comma.ai has accomplished."
    Looks like the "Not invented here" prejudice is alive and well at Toyota.

14. genericuser

genericuser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    What did you end up doing? Did you make any modifications to the cover? Mine is still off as I couldn't get it to fit.

15. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This one is kinda long, but very interesting:

A lot of specific driving scenarios comparing how OpenPilot reacts to them compared to AutoPilot.

benagi likes this.
  16. will the engineer

will the engineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you are curious and want one. I am willing to sell mine.
    Works perfectly, I just no longer have to commute long distances

My new work is 11 minutes away from my house.

17. titefd

titefd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    can you set the comma at 85mph and will it negotiate roads with slight curves at that speed ?

18. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    AFAIK, there is no limit on set speeds but turning limits are determined by the vehicle steering motor torque limits (which are low) so probably depends on your definition of "slight".

In my experience, if you need to grip the wheel with say a stronger-than-finger tip-grip to make a turn, then you've probably exceed the steering motors' torque limit. Some makes and/or vehicles have more, some have less. My understanding is the 2020 Prime is stronger than <2019. I've seen hacked demo's at parking lot speeds of the wheel completing 360 turns of the wheel but the steering loads are exponentially lower than at 85mph.

19. huclee

huclee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had used my custom built Batteryless EON Openpilot on my 2017 Prius for one year. Openpilot is really useful. You may also built your EON without buying costly Comma2 from Comma AI (but of course you can buy it to support their efforts!)

I have bought one EON from Comma Ai as a backup & use my custom built EON on car. Check my blog for more information!

https://tinyurl.com/yced3s7j

20. mistermojorizin

mistermojorizin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What did you end up doing with the cover? I'm getting a c2 for my advanced and wondering if that means I'll have to have the unsightly wires with the cover off.