1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone here into dedicated Home Theaters??

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by BT Tech, Apr 26, 2007.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is there any way to have a screen saver added to the media center? Seems like you could just add software to black out the screen if noone does any menu function for 5 minutes. Then it could come right back on when anyone enters a command.

2. Blegate

Blegate Prius Gen III 2013

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Apr 29 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]432173[/snapback]</div>

Well yes there is and most of the time it comes on. I use a program called SageTV if you've ever heard of that. It runs on top of W2K. There has been times when the screen saver has not come one for whatever reason. I can't use the screensaver built into Windows because it will kick in when watching TV- thinks no one is using the pc so I have to count on SageTV to work.

Went to the BestBuy to look at the LED DLP and they didn't even know what I'm talking about. It seems they sell them on the web but not in the stores yet :(

b

3. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Brian,

I have always shyed away from brand new display technologies until several generations have gone by in order to work out any "kinks". In other words, I would hate to spend 1000's of dollars to be a companies beta tester.

The DLP is probably the best display technology of what you mentioned IMO however the "rainbow effect" is real and affects a certain number of people. Not all people see this phemonemon but some do. I personally can see it if I really look for it but it is not bothersome. From what I have heard, the manufacturers are constandly "tweaking" the filter wheels for higher RPM's to make seeing the rainbows less and less noticable.

Another technology you might want to look at is DILA also called LCOS which does not use a filter wheel.

Whatever you end up with, you owe it to yourself to check out HD DVD or Blueray with your new display. Even though the OTA broadcasts in HD are very good, they are still compressed quite a bit so it really won't show you what your new display is capable of. I chose to go with HD DVD and have never looked back. The players are a bit less expensive than the Blueray and I feel tha the picture quality with HD DVD is better than the Blueray that I saw.

Hope this helps....

4. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Apr 29 2007, 05:29 PM) [snapback]432240[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Brian,
    How much compression do you think there is in the OTA signals? I have found the Dish Network HD and OTA decoded by the Dish Network receiver to be far superior than HD over land based cable. I tried Comcast just for a month to compare, and thier HD was I swear, comparable with Dish Netword SD.

As for HD DVD, Has anyone heard of anyone having trouble with XB360 HD DVD add on? Or specifically with the HD DVD "Babel"?

I thought Babel was an interresting film, but I am not a big fan of subtitles because I don't watch movies to read. I wish they would add an option for engish doubing over subtitled forign language. With Babel on the XBox 360 HD DVD, a lot of the subtitled phrases were only poping up momenarily, not long enough to read, just long enough to know I missed something. Also, it kept freezing when I tried to rewind and fast forward. It has not done this with any other movies, so I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this with Babel on other players. I was also really surprised there was no optional audio of directors comentary.

I snaped a few pics of my 7.5 ft high by 11 ft wide screen, viewing during the day with enough light leaking around window shades that you can see fairly well everything in the room. I prefer completely dark room, but it is totally veiwable during the day. Somehow, but optical illusion, the blacks in the picture look darker than the actual wall around the screen

I was having some problems with my camera memory card, so I lost some of the better shots. below:
    1. Bright courtyard scene from Bable
    2. Dark lite scene with some stray light from the kitchen skylight.
    3. Close up of a Prius 1/6 of the screen. Camera moved, but it's a Prius so it gets posted anyway.
    4. Another dark screen where I experimented with blocking the stray light from the kitchen skylight.

Attached Files:

5. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello again,

Both Dish Netword and Direct TV have a considerable amount of compression on their HD content. The more channels that both providers have the more compression. I have found that HDNET has probably the best PQ along with RAVE HD that provides the live concerts. Depending on how well calibrated your projector is, you will be able to readily see the difference between networks and how precise the camera is focused.

I have not had cable in close to 14 years so I can not comment about how good or bad their PQ is. OTA local network HD should be excellent providing you are picking them up directly with an outside antenna. For example, CSI Miami looks absolutely spectacular with full rich colors and excellent clarity. Generally speaking, the OTA signals are not compressed and should be almost equal to a direct feed off of a C-Band digital dish.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Apr 29 2007, 09:43 PM) [snapback]432282[/snapback]</div>

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Apr 29 2007, 08:49 PM) [snapback]432357[/snapback]</div>
    HDNet's horizontal resolution dropped from 1920 to 1440 (now it's 1440x1080i) several months ago. And all of the Voom channels are (I believe) 1280x1080i. Still, I'd have to rate HDNet's picture quality above HBO-HD and SHO-HD which are sent as full 1920x1080i on Dish Network. Much of HDNet's shot-on-video (as opposed to shot-on-film) content was captured with a camera capable of only 1440x1080i anyway. UNI-HD and AE-HD have looked noticeably bad recently, especially on content with a lot of dark scenes. Sadly, this is unlikely to change, as most people would prefer more channels over higher picture quality.

7. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How are you able to determine what the exact resolution is for each broadcast channel?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Apr 30 2007, 02:31 PM) [snapback]432660[/snapback]</div>

8. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dumb question time. I have the OPTOMA HD70 Projector.

[​IMG]

It supports HDTV (720p, 1080i, 1080p), SDTV (480i/p, 576i) NTSC (M/J, 3.58/4.43 MHz), PAL (B,D,G,H,I,M,N), SECAM (B, D, G, K, L)

Will I see much of a difference with a BLU RAY Player, over a standard DVD? I know it's a simple question, but I am looking for simple answers. Thanks.

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pardon me for posting a differing viewpoint but...

...I think I'll continue waiting for the quality of the content itself to catch up with the pace of this technology.

Regarding the previous post...EIGHT HOURS OF TELEVISION IN ONE DAY?!?!?

There's your problem right there...not the durability of the flywheel!

10. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    YES!!!!! (Was that simple enough) :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Apr 30 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]432790[/snapback]</div>

11. theothergoose

theothergoose New Member

Pinto Girl has got the right idea. Most broadcast quality sucks. With either cable or dish, providers are trying to cram as many channels within a given bandwidth as they can - the results are pretty poor. When dealing with the quality (or lack thereof) of such sources, worrying about native resolution, refresh rates, etc of a given TV is pretty silly. Chalk such obsessions up to the hobby... obsessions that are encouraged by those that stand to benefit from the sale.

A DLP-based picture is a good solution for 99.9% of pepole out there. Be sure to confirm that you're not one of the unfortunate 0.1% that sees rainbows with DLP. If in doubt, just be sure that the retailer will take the set back if you experience rainbows at home. I won't go into detail on this syndrome if you're not familiar with it because some have convinced themselves they see them - even when they're not looking at a DLP.

Samsung makes a very good DLP TV - I recommend them. The color wheel problem you mention was solved with their rear-projection DLP televisions some time ago, so this concern is no longer an issue. A decent-quality DLP is a good way to get into a big(ish) picture without having it take over your life. As for bulb replacements, rear projection DLP's are about as cheap/easy as they come. I watch far more TV than I care to admit and I have yet to replace the bulb on my set (about two years on the current bulb). I think bulbs are going for around $150 or so - pretty cheap relative to other options.

Trust me - I'm familiar with the uber-expensive stuff. If you want to spend a ton, go for it, but any monkey can put together a good setup when given a huge budget - the trick is to find the point of diminishing returns.

Hope this helps... :)

12. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 30 2007, 04:47 PM) [snapback]432793[/snapback]</div>
    You really should rent some HBO series on DVD. Carnivale is better than 99% of anything coming out of Hollywood( or Foreign).Deadwood is also great.Also good are Six Feet Under,Sopranos ,Rome ,Entourage.
    The HBO productions are a modern renaissance era in filmmaking.

13. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Apr 30 2007, 02:10 PM) [snapback]432774[/snapback]</div>
    I have a satellite receiver that allows me to capture the MPEG-2 transport stream, and I use whatever I have laying around to examine the headers. I normally use VideoRedo to edit out the commercials, leaving me with an MPEG-2 program stream, which I can drop on top of BitRate View.

First graph is for full 1920x1080i from HBO-HD.

[attachmentid=7776]

Second is for reduced horizontal resolution 1280x1080i from Voom's RAVE channel.

[attachmentid=7778]

Attached Files:

14. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Was your satellite receiver modified with a SDI output in order for you to see the datastream?? If this is the case then you should be able to take this data and copy it to a comptuers hard drive for a nice and tidy HD Server!! :)

Is this correct???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ May 1 2007, 02:45 AM) [snapback]433095[/snapback]</div>

15. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

16. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for your reply. I would love to have a receiver that can output the data like you have. Did you have to modify your sat receiver in order to do this?? What make and model do you have? Dish Network or Direct???

Sorry for all of the questions!!

17. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ May 1 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]433637[/snapback]</div>
    www.r5000hd.com

I'm about to see if they will move mine from my Dish 6000 (non MPEG-4) to a newer receiver (ViP 211), now that I think I have an MPEG-4.10 (AVC/H.264) playback solution.

18. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Apr 30 2007, 05:06 PM) [snapback]432802[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. So I went out and bought a BLU RAY player from SONY㊮.
    [​IMG]

And it came with FILTH ELEMENT for free; I also had bought some titles in anticipation of this purchase. I hooked it up, and at first, no picture through the HDMI. I had to hook up the RCA Output at first (yellow RCA cable), to get to the set up screen; then I told it where to find the HDMI.

I watched NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM, and at first, it only wanted to show 720, but then I figured out how to get the 1080p.

Boy Howdy what a picture! I compared the Blu Ray version to the standard DVD version of NIGHT; (I still have my DVD player hooked up, thankfully, since the BLU RAY won't play CD). Anyway. The difference is clear. Then I took the DVD of the film, put it the BD, and while it does improve the picture, it's not as clear as the BLU RAY version.

Neat.

19. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Congrats on your purchase of a HD DVD player!!! In your case a "Blueray" but still a HUGE difference over standard or upconverted DVD players!!

Although the difference between a standard DVD player and the HD version is apparent on a smaller sized display, it is a TREMENDOUS difference when projected on to a 8' wide or larger screen!! :)

Enjoy!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ May 2 2007, 05:24 AM) [snapback]433811[/snapback]</div>

20. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As any true Home Theater enthusiast must do, I upgraded my system last evening. The XBox 360 HD DVD add on to my son's XBox 360 was giving me grief with freezing pictures and subtitles as described in an earlier post. Microsoft was very quick to tell me it was out of warrantee, but I had purchased a service contract from Best Buy. The main reason I bought the service contract was becasue the sales person said I could exchange my unit for full purchase price toward a different unit if there was a fault within two years.

Reading the fine print, I went in expecting a potential fight, but without any questions, I got the full $200 purchase toward the $399 Toshiba HD DVD. I will play the Babel disc again and let you know if it fixes the subtitles problem.

With Blu-Ray, I would worry about the technology eventually going away.