1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone hit the golf course regularly?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by srellim234, May 7, 2018.

1. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I love golf but hate the slow play and expense. I'm one of those nuts who heads out to play in Palm Springs in the summer to take advantage of the empty courses and low prices. I'm a guy who's just glad to get out there on a golf course, enjoying the game. The score is secondary.

I know we have some golfers around here. Anyone else care to admit they're addicted to the game?

bisco likes this.
  2. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, I'm of the "long walk spoiled by the small white ball" persuasion. But I'll gladly join anyone who wants to have a couple of adult beverages and head over to the nearest putt-putt golf course to laugh ourselves silly!

bwilson4web, bisco and srellim234 like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i used to play all the time, then life got in the way. then i started again when my kids were old enough.
    now i play once in awhile with my son, but since rotator cuff surgery last year, i'm still waiting for the go ahead.
    i think you'll find there aren't many sports fans of any kind here in geekville.:cool:

srellim234 likes this.
  4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Life got in my way too. First it was money, now my golfing partner also had rotator cuff surgery (March 9) so he's gone for this year. My wife retired last year and she's been talking about joining me this year provided we don't go anywhere the temperature exceeds 100*F. Considering the prices around here I guess I'll be alone in Palm Springs, Laughlin, Primm and California City again. I managed to get her on a range with some borrowed clubs last week and she did all right for her first time ever swinging a club.
    Anyway, I just splurged on some "new to me" Adams clubs that are in great condition and are much more suited to my game than the Acer clones I've been playing for about 12 years. They were great but I only had a custom made driver (best driver I've ever owned but the clubface is now worn out ), 4I-PW, GW, SW and LW. No fairway woods and I've never hit a hybrid.

What I picked up were a Taylor Made R7 Quad driver, Adams Idea pro gold tour prototype 2H, 3H and 4H, Adams Idea black CB3 4I-PW + 49* GW plus the Adams Tom Watson Anniversary 52*, 56* and 60* wedges, all fitted with the correct stock shafts for my swing. With my current Nike putter it's more than 14 clubs but now I can tailor what's in the bag to the course. Some of the clubs look as if they've never been used and the others have been used some but have been well taken care of. The entire deal was $270 with free shipping. I've already been to the range with the driver and the hybrids. They are amazingly easy to hit long and straight. I just hope I can take that to the course from the range.

The irons shipped separately and should be here next Tuesday. I'm looking forward to getting them on the range and the course too.

Has the doctor given you a prospective date you can start playing again?

#4 srellim234, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope.
    I already know how to cuss, drink, and spend lots of money on useless gadgets and since one of my retirement goals was to maintain USN physical fitness norms, I do not need to invent silly reasons to get exercise outdoors.

I'm, after all, a US Navy Chief......properly Initiated albeit recently retired.

I would hasten to add that I no longer drink and my cursing is pretty much limited to the occasional muttering....however (comma!!!) I think I'd rather take up soccer or try to figure out cricket.

I actually know people who admit to watching other people play golf on TV, which means that I owe the DWTS devotees a sincere and heartfelt apology......if you know what I mean. ;)

pilotgrrl and srellim234 like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a lot of military bases do have golf courses though. and yes, i watch whenever tiger woods is playing. got hooked during the 1997 masters, never saw anything like it in my life.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hopefully next winter in florida. i had several massive tears, and a full year recovery forecast. but i missed a couple months of rehab due to a few unforeseen circumstances, so i'm behind.
    it's coming along nicely, but you can't rush it.
    i'm going to save your club selection, long and straight would be something new for me.:p
    i've got an old set of pings that definitely need replacing.

srellim234 likes this.
  8. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I know where you are coming from. I was a member at the old George AFB course and played all the time with military personnel both active and retired.

I'm not a cusser or drinker either. I just like being out in the fresh air with the coyotes, bobcats, rabbits, etc. with no telephone turned on to bother me. It's gotten dangerous to ride my bicycle on the roads around here and the walking trails seem to always be crowded with "wingnuts" so the golf course with my pushcart is my getaway where I put on some walking miles now.

ETC(SS) likes this.
  9. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Definitely continue to be careful with that shoulder. My friend's was really bad too. He tore his up on the job hauling and tossing lumber. The doctor has already hinted he may never return to that career after 35 years of it. He's only 60 so he can't voluntarily retire and collect his pension. He's stuck with whatever the union and his employer force him to do at this point.

The club selection is older but is suited very well to mid-lower handicap players. By the time you're ready I'm sure we can help you find a good deal, maybe on a newer set that will also be long and straight. :)

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my doc told me if i did any work overhead, i should look for a new job, it will kill the repair in no time.
    fortunately, at 63, i'm retired, and my wife likes painting ceilings.:cool: i feel bad for your buddy, i hope they take care of him. this is where unions should excel.

srellim234 likes this.
  11. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you count racing over a fairway in a pickup.....it was a stupid boyfriend in high school, that became an "ex-". afterward.

I understand the need for speed, danger and all those other things that seem to attract many males -- and some females. I enjoy motorcycles, rock climbing, surfing and mountain biking.

It's the need to destroy that has always escaped me....

I always felt guilty about that night....though I insisted he not do it...

12. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a funny coincidence about driving on a golf course. At my sister's 50th high school reunion this year they were reminiscing about their prom where a couple of the boys broke into the cart shack and started racing golf carts on the course. They left tire tracks on the greens and one of them left his cart in a lake. 50 years later that school is still not allowed to host a function there.

I'm about not destroying things too. Fishing is strictly "catch and release" if we're not going to eat it and hunting with my rifle is limited to pictures of animals on paper targets. I've never really had an opportunity to hunt for something I could put on the dining room table.

13. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I play but it is best out of the sight of people. When I walk in the mornings, I walk by the golf course and find 5 to 10 balls everyday...and in places where balls should not be. Maybe there are worse golfers than myself.

srellim234 likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is impossible to be the worst golfer in the world.

15. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't know. Sometimes I think could throw the ball around the course and have a better score.

I had a friend once who told me my problem with my swing was that I was too close to the ball after hitting it.

tochatihu likes this.
  16. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I took up the game after I retired as a way to meet friends. I live a good wedge away from a course. Now I play 3 times a week. My clubs...eBay every one. My balls ... all found. My garage has over 60 dozen in old egg cartons sorted by brand, model and grade. When we host a bunch of kids for a camp each summer, I give then a couple of hundred scuffed balls I've collected and they love hitting them deliberately into the lake.

My resolution this year was not one curse. So far ... zero.

bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i made a par on the first hole at pebble, highlight of my career.:love:

srellim234 likes this.
  18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does disc golf count? I'm no fan of smacking a little ball with a stick, but angling a frisbee towards a basket is kinda fun.

And driving on the greens is perfectly fine, as long as it's in Winter, with a snowmobile. ;)

19. FlappyWolfy

FlappyWolfy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Only played golf 2 times in my life, a friend of mine is a fan of it so I accompanied him. Not my sports at all to be honest, prefer another games.

20. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a roommate who was a scratch player, and I have an uncle who is within a stroke or two of being able to golf his age.
    GOD played a particularly cruel trick also on my brother, who took up golf and discovered that he has a natural talent for it - AND a job that allowed him to indulge in this habit....at least before he got married and started punching out kids.

Cruelest sport I know!
    I will not even touch a club, because my theory is that heroin is slightly less addictive, and one helluva lot cheaper.

In greek mythology Sisyphus was condemned to an eternity of rolling a ginormous rock up a loooong steep hill...all day long, only to see it it roll back down again, which reminds me of almost every golfer I know who is constantly searching for a better course......craftier putter.....longer drive.....better score.

srellim234 likes this.