1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone in Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Rae Vynn, Feb 10, 2011.

1. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I loves me some SPAM!

2. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    DH and I were in the Big Island for 6 days last August. You can visit the farmer's market in Hilo and get cheap fruits/jewelry from there. I am writing about our experience there on my blog these days (website on signature), so feel free to read. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Maine Pilot

Maine Pilot Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    III
    I'll be leaving for Oahu on Monday on business for a week--it doesn't get any better than that. For some strange reason my wife says I have to take her along. We did the same trip last year--you'd think she'd be tired of the place.:D

We're fortunate that her cousin lives permanently on the island and it was her husband that turned us on to Priuses in the first place. In fact, he was driving a 2010 that had been "totaled" by the insurance company--just because Toyota couldn't furnish parts for the steering mechanism. His own business, which specalizes in repairing totaled cars, was able to bring that Prius back into pristine condition.

Sorry for the digression.

Anyways, if you have a rental car, you'll really like the roads after you get a few miles away from Honolulu. I was told that 83/836, on the north side of the island, can get congested if good surfing waves are forecasted.

4. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I want to go to the Big Island.

I did a few days on Oahu and a few on Kauai in November. 3 days is pretty good time to cover the main things on the islands, but not in November due to the limited sunlight hours.

I'm not a big hiker, but I know my brother is and would probably enjoy doing that for a few days. Neither of us can afford the trip right now, though lol. Me, because I was just there, and him because he's gonna be a daddy in a few months.

5. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We loved the big island... and Kauai, and Maui. I'd love a week on each island, actually.

6. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

If you're on Oahu during the big waves I would choose sitting on the beach and watching the surfers over a hike any day. My summary of the main (I think there many islets and atolls in the state) islands is this: Niihau off limits to visitors so I've not had the good fortune to visit; Kauai is overall perhaps the prettiest; Oahu the busiest and perhaps the best surfing; Molokai and Lanai I have also never visited but plan to visit both next December; Maui is where most visitors go, but I consider it full of large houses, fancy cars and associated wealthy attitude; Kahoolawe was used as a bombing range until recently and as far as I know still off limits I hear due to unexploded ordinances; Which leaves the Big island (Hawaii) by far my favorite mainly because it's slow kinda like the mainland in the 1950s; Now while I am a frequent visitor and have friends on many of the islands, I'm no expert and I'm sure others could give a more accurate picture for vacation planning purposes. As for the archipelago of islets, someday I will wrangle F8L and Hyo on the adventure of a lifetime and sail to them. We'll need female crew to keep the testosterone at bay... and a larger boat...donations cheerily accepted.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A month's provisions for six sounds like quite a pile. I'll need a few more sailing lessons first, and better familiarity with the navigational instruments, but it sounds like a great idea. This is the first time you've mentioned a female crew - was I not sounding convinced enough already? ;)

8. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a book called the "Big Island Revealed" and it was a very good travel book written by someone who has lived there for 20 years. It has no advertisements and he writes honest opinions about places, hotels, restaurants etc. We found that pretty much everything was spot on. He has books for other islands as well. You should check them out.

9. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would too. I just need to find a way to turn my 3 weeks vacation into about 7, and get someone to pay for it lol.

I would agree that watching the surfers (and girls ;)) on the beach would be much better to me than a hike. However, I can only sit still for so long before I want to get moving. There is no such thing as a relaxing vacation for me, unfortunately.

Can I come??? I know nothing about sailing, never been out on open water, and might scare the ladies away, though....but hey, it'd be an adventure - for me at least!

I used those books for Oahu and Kauai when I went. Very good books, and I identified pretty well with his sense of humor in the writing. I definitely recommend them for others that need information.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A month in a small boat will test anyone's sanity. I'd say it's enough of an adventure without adding more drama....and if you're going to scare the mermaids away, I'd vote no. But it's not up to me. ;)

11. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sanity?? Well, not having that sounds like it might be a benefit!

Would a sane person hold pinwheels and go 'weeeeeeeee' while getting a ride on the cart in the Phoenix airport? I think not....but this guy did! And it was totally embarassing to everyone else on the cart so it make it totally worthwhile.

I only rode because they had room and there was someone in the party that needed it. I did say I'd walk if they needed the seat.

12. Maine Pilot

Maine Pilot Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    III
    Just got back from Oahu two days ago.

Spent most of the time on that island, but got to fly to Lanai while giving a checkride. That island looks almost deserted--just a cluster of closely-spaced houses with no large buildings that might house businesses. Extremely huge cliffs on the south side of the island, where the airport is and what looks like the remains of pineapple groves. Didn't see the north side where, I'm told, there are a few resorts/golf courses.

The surf was "up" on Oahu this past weekend. Went to a place called "Sandy Beach," where we attempted to wade into the surf. Bad idea. Got tumbled and agitated more than any washing machine could. Took 2 more days to get the sand out of our bodies.

Unfortunately, unsusual weather patterns screwed up the trade winds and we were treated to the phenomenon called "Vog:" a haze/dust carried westward over from the Big Island's active volcanos. Really irritated my wife's eyes and cut down visibility during the flight tests.

Downtown Honolulu is loaded with extremely high-priced stores, (can you say: Tiffany's, Neiman Marcus, etc?), that cater to the hordes of Japanese tourists. I wonder what they think of when they visit the Pearl Harbor museums.

Anyways, the next trip to this part of the world will be to the Big Island, where life is at a serene pace.