1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone install a circulating block heater?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Isaac Zachary, Sep 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What:
    I'm contemplating installing a circulating "bottle" block heater on both my Avalon Hybrid and my Gen 2 Prius. One that's 1,500W.

Why:
    Because
    1. It's more efficient to heat up quickly in a few minutes than to be releasing heat into the atmosphere all night.
    2. I at times forget to plug in. Either that or the GFI pops when least expected from capacitance of cords lying on the ground. At any rate, if I have an hour to get going there's no point in plugging in the stock heater. But a higher power heater would make a difference in as little as 15 minutes.
    3. It gets really cold here. Like -40⁰ cold. And the stock block heater just isn't enough to make that much of a difference even plugged in all night. A couple hours on a 1,500W heater could make it blow warm air from the start.
    Question:
    I just can't find any info of anyone who has installed one in a hybrid. I had one on my 1984 VW Golf and another on my 1993 Mazda 323 and loved them. Any suggestions of what hoses to connect to?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Raytheeagle and Isaac Zachary like this.