1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone install an aftermarket head unit with Android Auto?

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Kaiso, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Kaiso

Kaiso New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I just picked up a 2017 Prius V. I was wondering if anyone has installed an aftermarket head unit with Android Auto in a Prius V? If so, I'd appreciate any info.

TheTewks and hxs90 like this.
  2. EvanEvans

EvanEvans New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Hi Kaiso, I am in the same situation, but a year later. I am also looking for a head unit with Android Auto in a Prius v (wagon). Did you manage to find and install any unit that works accordingly? Appreciate any tips (also from anyone else reading this).

3. Vijay Jayaram

Vijay Jayaram Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes its fairly easy. I installed ATOTO A6 pro from amazon on one and and a Chinese one from eBay on another.

A6 pro quality is excellent but only double din, using along with carlinkit wireless carplay module and android dashcam. Wireless carplay connects seamlessly whenever I get into the car.

If you want a bigger unit you could get a ATOTO S8 premium (I installed one on 2011 sienna, but should work for Prius also, has built in wireless carplay and is a excellent unit).

Chinese one from eBay has a bigger screen 9in with custom trim which fits into your radio bezel. This unit came with built in wireless carplay but does not connect automatically, have to start the zlink app to connect. I would try to get a unit without built in wireless carplay and use a wireless dongle. Make sure it has a external mic as built-in mic seems to be poor.

If you dont have jbl its fairly easy.

If you have jbl you will need PAC RP4.2-TY11 Radiopro4 to connect with ATOTO A6 and the Chinese unit came with custom harness.

If you have parking assist - Not sure.
    The Chinese unit had poor FM reception but that got fixed with a fm booster but still has some crackling noise at low freq stations.

If you have a factory backup camera, you will need to do some tapping, will need a 12v to 6v dc-dc convertor as Toyota uses 6v to the power the camera whereas most after market backup camera uses 12v.

#3 Vijay Jayaram, May 9, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2022
    TheTewks likes this.