1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone install lowering springs on V yet?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Mac Prius, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hoping someone out there has a good lowering solution. I want Tanabe NF210s but they are not available for the V yet. Research of other vendors only shows springs available for 10-11 Prius but not 2012 V. With my new wheels I am anxious to drop the car but looks like I will have to wait. :mad:

2. h-dogg

h-dogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am wondering the same on lowering springs too. It looks like the v is still new to have R&D done on the aftermarket springs. I got new wheels installed and the gap is huge. The wife drives it though, but she likes the ride on the stock height.

3. DaveShep

DaveShep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Found these but they are not cheap.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Those are a whole coil over package out of Japan. Even coil overs in US would run around $1000 so that is expensive and that doesnt even include install. I figure if you just get springs with install should run around $500 or so.

5. Osteoblast

Osteoblast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I agree, please keep us (especially me) posted on this as that is something I really want to do.

6. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe Tanabe was working on developing some V parts.

7. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Which wheels did you go with? You know we want pictures!

8. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That is correct. I heard they are testing the 10-11 Prius Tanabe springs and we should hopefully hear something around April-May. I hope they work on the v cause if they dont we may have to wait longer and I am not very patient.:hungry:

9. DaveShep

DaveShep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I found these on a website posted by Cactus Hybrid.

Rakuten:

10. antech5

antech5 Member

Pictures of my lowered prius V is in my photo album. It has been almost a year now and the Eibach still rides smoothly and no complaints. I would not be surprised if no manufactures have yet to come out with a set of lowering springs for the V, having coilovers is over kill and too expensive and unecessary . I got the eibach pro from a 2010 prius installed on my 2012 V this weekend. The rears are direct fit, takes about 15 minutes to drop the rear. the front was a bit of a challenge since the V bottom strut plate is about 3/4 of a inch larger in diameter than the regular prius which means the springs are smaller in diameter at the bottom,top of the coil spring is a perfect fit. What I did was cut the bottom of my eibach coil half a coil about 6 inches of it off with a 4 inch cutting blade on my makita grinder which made it fit perfectly into the bottom of the strut plate, leaving the rubber dampening plate on. Just by chance this made the ride height/wheel gap exactly in the front as compared to the rear(nice). total drop was about 1.5 inch all around with a wheel gap of about 1.0 inches all around . I am riding konig feathers with 205/50/17 yokohama avids , I opted for this size because the narrower tire will give it a little better gas mileage, as compared to the 215/50/17, the overall tire diameter is only 0.2 inches difference and it weighs less . It rides really nice as compared to stock, handling is much improved. There is absolutely no spring play in the strut housing when you have the car lifted up on jacks. Again this is for eibach pros. I have not yet figured out what the mileage difference is as many who have already swapped tires on their cars already know what to expect. The look is much better with 17's and that ugly wheel gap. As for you guys who put on bigger wheels and still have that awful wheel gap, I see no point in doing that if you don't lower your car, it is ugly as sin. For all you guys who are hoping that eibach, tein, tanabe, H&R , suspension techniques to come out with lowering springs for your Prius V, it is not going to happen anytime soon , if not ever. This is a wagon, manufactures are not willing to put R&D into this wagon. I want Tanabe NF210s but they are not available for the V yet. Research of other vendors only shows springs available for 10-11 Prius but not 2012 V. With my new wheels I am anxious to drop the car but looks like I will have to wait. :mad:[/quote]

FYI, if you hate that cheap rubber steering wheel on you Prius V wagon, you can swap it with any 2010-2012 prius leather steering wheel (plenty of used ones at many toyota dismantlers, the steering wheel are identical) I just did the swap on my V, the steering wheel alignment was off a hair " no you can't get it perfect by using the splines on the hub" so I had to get it re-aligned " no bid deal" I swapped all the V accessory housing button unit along with the electrical wires and plug ( just 2 phillips screws per side and pop it off the steering wheel" and put it onto the leather steering wheel, because if you take a close look the touch buttons , the rubber has a texture to it on the V as compared to the regular prius.
    my next project is putting on front fog lights since mine is a package 3. With a little research I found out that the prius V shares the same fog lights they have the same part numbers as the 2011-2012 toyota sienna, 2010 and newer 4 runner.and the lexus ct200 I found a set of aftermarket fog lights, wiring harness and switch for $109 on ebay with free shipping for the 2011-12 sienna. I also purchased a set of factory fog light grill from Camelback toyota for about $65 shipped. No need to wait for prius chat store to figure this one out and put it up for sale, it is too long of a wait for such a simple modification.

2 people like this.
  11. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    antech - I wouldnt be so fast in rushing to judgement on the vendors not coming up with springs or coil overs for the v. With its popularity in Japan (known as the Alpha), I have been told by Tanabe reps there are already parts out for it by Tanabe. Tanabe is planning on R&D for the v sometime in June. Because the US versions may be slightly different than the Japanese ones, they will need to test the fit on them first. Because I am in So Cal and near the Tanabe USA HQ, I volunteered to be their R&D vehicle. Apparently there is one person ahead of me so hopefully that person either backs out for some reason and I can end up being the test vehicle.

Megan Racing already has a coil over system for the v and a poster here has already installed them.
    http://www.meganracing.com/product_detail.asp?prodid=1278&catid=31

I was also fortunate enough to meet the owner of Air Runner who builds air suspension systems. He informed me they also have a specific system built for the v but need to check the fit on the US versions. He asked me to come by his shop so he can take measurements of the v. Cost for those systems run about $4k but he and I got to talking and we may be able to work something out in exchange for helping him test the new system for the v. I know an air suspension system is way overboard, but if a deal can be made, then who knows......

Air Runner Systems Air Suspension

The Konigs you have are a nice classic choice for looks. I would love to get the WedsSport wheels for my v.

Either the SA-67R in gunmetal: WedsSport - Weds Sport for Sport Wheels | SA67R

Or the SA-55M BBMs: WedsSport - Weds Sport for Sport Wheels | SA55M

Post pics of your ride. I would love to see it.

12. h-dogg

h-dogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hey Mac Prius,

Oops..forgot to respond..18" ssr competitions..kills the mpg, but it looks clean

Attached Files:

13. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    SSRs are nice. Right now I am running with the Kazeras but I think my next set would be the Wedssport SA-67r in gunmetal. Looks like you need to lower your car as well to get rid of the gap.