1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone installed the MillerCat shield on their Prius 5th gen?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by thnok, May 3, 2023.

1. HoustonEvolution

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Yes. Miller includes window stickers with the sale of their shields.

I don't think it would hurt to have them on but imho, I don't necessarily think they'll help either. I've seen a lot of videos of thieves quickly approaching cars, jacking them up, and either chopping away or immediately dropping the car back down and moving on. The one's that I've seen aren't the smartest people around and are in a hurry. That's why I say that having anything to block them is a good thing and hopefully they'll move on rather than take the time to make more noise.

As for the painting of them, I don't trust the recyclers either. I believe all they need is a name to register to their purchase who they can then say "they affirmed the trunks of cats were not stolen". To put it simply, I don't believe the ones who cut them off in the middle of the night are the only crooks in this game.

2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I installed these cheap 5/8 inch spring tension hose clamps on the hexes of the mounting bolts, so the thief not knowing that they are there or having long reach pliers are slowed down or stopped.

5-8 spring clamp.jpg IMG_2783.JPG

By that time, they might have cut the back pipe of the cat and the wire of the oxygen sensor, but you might still have the cat and a less expensive repair, especially in a CARB state that requires a replacement equal or better than OEM quality.

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Unless you had a video camera on your car or a cat stolen, you may never know that a thief had cased your vehicle. A cat shield, painting the cat, or the stickers might prevent a thief.

daisy555 likes this.
  4. NicoleB

NicoleB New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Just talked to our Toyota dealer and they say that doing so would go against our car body warranty. He said don't do it. Prius 2023 are so low to the ground, he said, it would be hard to get the cat stolen anyway.

5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. My dealership put in writing that it won’t affect warranty but only with the Miller cat shield because Toyota sells it as a part. I’m still not sure I’m going to do it. I don’t think it matters how close it is to the ground. They jack them up so easily. I think the thieves aren’t focusing on the 2023. Not enough on the road yet. Gen 2 is most profitable.

6. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Toyota sells the shield as an option so it isn’t changing warranty. I am not satisfied with the shields sold. Carbide toothed saws cut through most everything except hardened steel or carbide. The shields are easy to cut, even though it goes against the grain to say that. There is nothing drastic there. They even have vent holes to start the cutting in. The thieves just need a little more experience. It’s a shame really there are people like that.

HacksawMark likes this.