1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone know how to realign the backup camera?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pilotgrrl, Dec 28, 2017.

1. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I somehow knocked the backup camera out of alignment, and it's pointing down toward the rear license plate, not straight back as it had been.

It's on the lift gate to the left, opposite of where the lock button is. If anyone knows how to realign it, I'd appreciate the help!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Toyota’s Repair Manual (available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com) gives removal and installation procedures for the rear television camera assembly, but there isn’t an alignment procedure like the ones for the forward recognition camera or millimeter wave radar.

The parts catalog (Figure 86-06, Rear Monitor Display & Camera) shows only the camera assembly, part number 86790-47070 (list price $661.42), and the two tapping screws used to install it; it seems Toyota doesn’t sell the other mounting parts separately. TLS Auto Recycling has posted some pictures of the assembly, and it appears there are two plastic or nylon inserts that align it to the body.

I’d start by removing the camera assembly for inspection. If it’s not damaged, re-installing it might fix the problem. If there is damage, you might be able to repair it, or perhaps find replacement fasteners from a source like Auveco or Disco Automotive Hardware.

pilotgrrl, RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine has done the same thing over the past year, however it still serves its purpose as the angle is wide enough for it not to affect rearward visibility. I do remember reading another thread about this very thing a long time ago, before my own camera succumbed to gravity's compulsion. I'll have a look.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  4. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Elektroingenieur and RCO like this.