1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone know how to reprogram a Karr alarm system?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by phoenixgreg, Jun 1, 2013.

1. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Prius came with a Karr alarm system and during a recent project, I touched what I thought was a ground wire to the chassis and now the Karr system will not accept the Prius remote's unlock button to disarm the vehicle. What I have done for now is placed the system in "Valet Mode" which is a temporary work-around, but when I called the Karr representative, he said he would need to make a mobile visit to reprogram it for $100. I'm sure it's something simple and will try to "unplug" it for a few minutes from 12 volt power and then reconnect it to see if it will "reboot".

But if that doesn't work, does anyone here know how to reprogram a Karr system? I've been reading that it must be done after a power up, power down cycle within 3 seconds and then the driver's door lock-unlock buttons are then used to reprogram the features. Any help or links as to how to do this would be appreciated.

2. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The dealer can make it work, if under warranty KARR should come out for free, Somewhere I have a manual for the system.

phoenixgreg likes this.
  3. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I finally was able to answer my own question so if anyone should need to disable, enable or modify Karr alarm programming - here's how:

To enter "Valet Mode" (or disable the Karr alarm) - while Prius power is "On", press and hold the blue button below the blue LED for 5 seconds. You should see the blue LED become steady on and this disables the system completely. NOTE, the OEM alarm is defeated too.

To exit "Valet Mode" to return to normal operation - within 3 seconds of the Prius power "On", press and hold the blue button below the blue LED until the LED goes out. Karr system is now operational.

To program or reprogram features:

Turn Prius on

Press and release Karr button 3 times

Short LED light with 1 short horn

Before 3 seconds, turn Prius off

Horn will give a short-long chirp

Within 3 seconds, turn Prius back on (now in programming mode)

Horn will give a long-short chirp

Press Karr button one time per option (there are 4 options) the Karr LED will flash the number of times per option you are on. If you want to change an option, within 1/2 second, press the driver's side power lock/unlock button. If you wait 1/2 second or longer, the default program will be used.

Option 1 (one flash): wait ½ second and horn should chirp once (auto-lock with ignition on)

Option 2 (two flashes): wait ½ second and horn should chirp once (auto unlock with ignition off)

Option 3 (three flashes): wait ½ second and horn should chirp twice (passive arming and lock without lock)

Option 4 (four flashes): wait ½ second and horn should chirp twice (active arming)

Turn Prius off to exit programming.

4. abra

abra Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Were is this Blue button, Im getting tired of my horn sounding when I dont press the unlock button.

5. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

6. abra

abra Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thank you, but the picture is really small. I search all over the place with no luck, this horn delay thing is going to drive me crazy.

7. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Rip that junk out of your car (n)

8. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have a KARR alarm, the button should be mounted on the panel below the mirror adjustors near your left knee and above the parking brake. If you can't locate it, maybe you have a different aftermarket system or someone unscrewed the button assembly and tucked it behind that panel.

9. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    When the car is armed you should see the blue led lighting up the drivers compartment.

10. jorge luis covarrubias

Vehicle:
    2000 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

first, i want to apollogize because i don´t spèak english very well, i´ve just bought a toyota that has a karr alarm system, but i don´t have the alarm remote, my question is, can i programm any kind of remote on that system?, thanks.

11. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The OEM Toyota smart key fob is the same remote to control the KARR system. What's different about the KARR is that when you arm it, you will get a chirp out of the horns and the parking lights flash once. To disarm, you will get 2 chirps from the horn and 2 flashes from the parking lights. Remember to press the unlock button twice if you want to unlock all doors.

12. habin0421

habin0421 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the instructions. Do you know if it is possible to program the horn from sounding? The car originally already have the more pleasant chirp when locking and unlocking. I find it quite annoying with the sound of the horn on top of the chirp. My dogs would start to bark inside the house every time they hear it too. lol. It's that loud! Any help would be appreciated.

13. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi - sorry, there doesn't appear to be a quiet mode with the KARR system.

14. Adolfo

Adolfo New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So I too have recently had a Karr system installed, except when I'm disarming it the horn chirps 3 times, and then it starts to goes as if it was activated. Also, all my doors unlock even if I press the unlock button once. Any ideas?

15. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hear Michael Knight has experience in this area.