1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone know how to search repairs on a VIN #/

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Doogie, May 18, 2017.

1. Doogie

Doogie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    OK, so I'm a glutten for punishment, but I just cant let this one go...

After really diggin my wife's 2015, I came across a 2010 in a junk yard on the "For Sale" isle. Not a scratch on it, pearl white. dirty grey interior, nothin a good weekend scrubbin wouldn't fix. I ask what's wrong and how much. He blurts out "It's a Hybrid, we don't know anything about it, could be motor, could be battery, we don't know", then scratched his head for a price and said "$2100".

I got in it and turned it on. Came up as expected, but with "Check Hybrid System" fault. everything else was fine. There was a Toyota Service checklist on the front seat, not filled out, and the standard car dealership service bay items (floor mat, steering wheel cover, etc) on the car. My thinking? They towed it in for service, dealership said "It needs a battery for $6K", and they said screw it, and sold it to the junk yard for $500 tops.

I went back yesterday, and nothing works now, I think the 12V battery is dead.

I have the VIN. anyway to look up with Toyota the last service record? Hoping maybe the dealer tech left a note about what was wrong with it....

Am I nuts?

Doogie

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2010 for $2100, wow what a bargain.

You can register the VIN at the Toyota website, click onto the "owners" portal. Once you register the VIN you'll be able to see the service records, all the services done at the Toyota dealer.

Alternatively, you can probably run a carfax and get information on the car.

When the car doesn't start, the first suspect would be the 12v battery.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. Doogie

Doogie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Well, that worked (Toyota Owners website...) Looks like it needs an engine :-( 2010_Prius.JPG

5. MPGesus

MPGesus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Still seems like a deal.

iPhone ?