1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone Know Why Prius Has No Auto Off Feature?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Matt Hirn, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Matt Hirn

Matt Hirn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just purchased a 2013 Prius III with smart key and have already discovered that if I walk away without pressing the power button, the power and engine charging system remain engaged (basically like leaving a typical car in idle with the keys in it). Why doesn't the Prius turn itself off after say five or even fifteen minutes when the smart key is not present? Seems like a no-brainer to me. Am I missing something?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and congrats on your new car! if you were driving and your fob battery died, you would be dead in the water. they haven't figured out a way to overcome that and yet have it shut off when it no longer senses the fob. all the best!(y)

KK6PD likes this.
  3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Actually it is accepted that, as the operator of the vehicle YOU are fully responsible for its' operation. So of course you would never walk away leaving it on. ;)

Don't fret however, there are a few on this forum who have left their car on.

Auto off would be a "bad thing" (tm) for those on this forum who sleep in their car sometimes in the winter. They leave it on with the A/C system on to keep them warm.

cwerdna and KK6PD like this.
  4. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never heard of any car manufacturer that has that feature so far. Have you seen or heard any car manufacturer that has that feature? I may have missed it.

5. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That would not work when we are using the Prius as a generator down here in Florida. I'd be upset if I had to keep going outside in a hurricane and start it back up!

WE0H and Merkey like this.
  6. Matt Hirn

Matt Hirn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow! Who knew that the Prius could be used as a generator? Interesting.

However, I suggested that the car could have an auto off feature if the smart key was not in the proximity of the vehicle. For all the scenarios seen here, the key could be kept with the vehicle to allow it to stay powered up. I am suggesting that if you accidentally walked away without turning it off (smart key on your person) it would be nice if it corrected the problem. As to the idea that nobody else is doing this so far, it would not be necessary on typical cars because the engine is running and that sound allows you to know that you left it running which is the equivalent of power button on in the silent Prius. It just seems like a smart idea. Anyone can forget to push the power button and the only cue you get to make you aware of this possible error on your part is that when using the smart key to lock it, the Prius will sound a long beep to warn you. At least all of you are confirming to me that the Prius does work as I understand it to work and that I am responsible to develop the habit of locking with the smart key if I want a reminder. I am sure that I will adjust.

7. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Please be advise that the Prius DOES WARN YOU if you leave the car running with the FOB on your person by the three external beeps it emits when you are walking away from the vehicle. This is car speak for, "You are walking away while I am still in Ready Mode! Are you sure you want to do that?!?"

James Battista and WE0H like this.
  8. Matt Hirn

Matt Hirn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just noticed that you are in Edmonton. Very humorous post. Thanks

9. Matt Hirn

Matt Hirn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep. I will have the key fob at the ready whenever exiting the vehicle. Thanks

10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

good answer. the auto off is when all gas is used up. not recommended in prius, LOL.

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just because "Auto Off" doesn't exist in other models.
    And just because there are some individual scenario's in which one might want to keep a vehicle running while not occupying or actually driving the vehicle, doesn't mean the idea of an "auto off" feature couldn't be investigated. And/Or maybe someday added. Haven't we all loved Prius because of it being one of Toyota's benchmark vehicles? To Go Before?.

There have been incidences with push button start vehicles of Carbon Monoxide poisoning tragedies. There have been posts right here in Prius Chat of owners that have accidently left their vehicles running all night. So I think the "idea" of an Auto Off feature is not a bad one to investigate.

For those relatively rare occasions where one might want to use The Prius as an emergency or camping generator? And/Or if for some reason you are spending the winter sleeping in your Prius and you are NOT The Lincoln Lawyer, I'd believe it could be made a modifiable option...one that could be turned off.

But with stories as somewhat harmless as some people forgetting to turn off their vehicles for a night, and some incidences or reported accidental carbon monoxide poisoning by other vehicles with push button start, I kind of believe the idea of a timed "Auto Off" function is a good one. Why not?

Yes, it IS the responsibility of an operator to turn the vehicle off, and yes The Prius and most other (All?) push button start vehicles don't have an auto off function. But if you are going to "Go Before"? Why not add this feature? If it saves one life....or even just 1/2 a tank of gas, assuming it is made binary and optional, I don't see much reason why an auto off function wouldn't be a good idea.

Matt Hirn likes this.
  12. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Nobody heard of a manufacturer have an electric starter until somebody did it.

It is fairly easy to block the signal from a key fob (try putting a fob in the same pocket as an iPhone and see how well it works), however, there are other ways to do this.

Tesla Model S for example uses a 'seat switch'. If you get out of the car, the car turns off. If you want to leave the car running, you can, but for most cases, getting out of the car is a good indicator you want the car off.

Matt Hirn likes this.
  13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OP is forgetting the case of what happens if the fob battery dies or is dead to begin with? Or, what if there's interference to prevent communication w/the fob? How can the car tell the difference between these and fob "not present"?

WE0H and Merkey like this.
  14. Matt Hirn

Matt Hirn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. I appreciate this line of thinking. The Prius is by far the most intelligent car I have ever owned and I like the idea of Toyota continuing to refine the vehicle for safety and improved usage.

15. Matt Hirn

Matt Hirn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In either case, the car would warn you that it has lost communication with the fob. If you are sitting in the car, you could fix this problem, especially if caused by interference. If the fob fails, it appears that at least on my 2013 model the key fob has rfid technology in it. I tested mine without the battery in it. With the brake pedal depressed and the fob touching the power button, the Prius did power up to ready mode. It just needs close proximity to read the key. The car even gave me on screen prompts to do just that when it did not read that the key was present and I tried to power it on.

16. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

edited because of ignorance

17. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One way to avoid this risk is to always lock your car when you leave it.
    I don't believe it will allow you to lock it while it's still in Ready or On mode.

18. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Several thoughts in this thread...
    1, Just push the power button upon exiting the vehicle. As someone posted, you are responsible for that kind of thing!

2, I would think anyone living in the Hurricane Highway, or Tornado Alley, or on the Highway To Hell, just buy a backup power system for your house. While it's cute that you can turn a Prius into a limited power generation unit, you still have to deal with the CO issue. Hopefully you don't run out of gas, but then you could store a limited amount on site. All as you would and kind of portable system. A 5kW Honda for example will give you about a usable actual 3.5 kW or so. It depends on the generators load efficiency factor! I have a system that I can wheel out when needed, plugs in, is hooked to the 220 volt lines of the house, and runs on Propane! I have enough safe on site storage for 7 days.
    3, Tesla, I am really looking forward to the new item that is slated for 2015, right when my 08's warranty runs out. While I would love a "S", I can't justify the cost.....god I want that car.... I will settle for a more reasonably priced little scooter, that I can run 100% electric, has more miles per joule, amp, watt, whatever units you believe in, than is available with todays technology, and out the door for under 40K!

That about covers it!

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. Just in the same way that in cars w/a traditional key, you're responsible for turning it to off and removing it, before leaving.
    It may not be fixable easily or at all. The interference could be too strong. Would you to be futzing w/this while you're driving on the highway?
    Yes, but again, would you want it to do this to you when on the highway?

Zythryn likes this.
  20. Matt Hirn

Matt Hirn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thanks for the thoughts. I was not expecting all of the angles that are being considered here.

What I meant by saying that it was easily fixed is that you know that something about where you have placed the key is causing a problem and you could simply fix the problem at your convenience. If I understand correctly, the Prius will notify you that it has lost connection with the key, but it does not power off. If people are assuming that an auto off feature would shut the car down on the highway, I am giving Toyota's engineers the credit to know to only enable the auto off feature when the car is in park.

For some people the issue of forgetting to turn the power off is so unlikely that it makes no sense to consider an auto off feature. It is somewhat intuitive when getting out to realize that the display is still on and hit the power button. However, others could be less likely to be so vigilant and aware when departing. The consequences of failing to power down the car can be significant, so some of us would welcome a more thoughtful design. It really is not that similar to the comparison people are making to turning a traditional key to stop an engine that is idling and giving you a constant cue of it's presence. I am very, very new to the Prius. I have less than 35 miles experience. I am sure that my perspective on remembering to power off the vehicle will change somewhat after a few dozen experiences behind the wheel.

Thanks again to all for a thoughtful and stimulating discussion.

JimboPalmer likes this.