1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone missing Cindy yet?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, May 29, 2007.

1. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 29 2007, 02:53 PM) [snapback]451622[/snapback]</div>
    ?????????????????????
    I agree that Bush screwed up our economy.But you want to blame Federal spending on the Democrats after a few months and without veto override capability?Are you on crack?
    Roll back tax cuts to the rich.End the trillion dollar war .Problem solved (eventually).

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ May 30 2007, 03:14 AM) [snapback]451936[/snapback]</div>
    It does matter what motivates people to fight for and make sacrifices for this great country - to think that hundreds of thousands of young men and women who have and are and are going to serve the United States of America are being fooled by a "lie of the neocons" is beyond comprehension. You reduce a complex conflict involving religion and sociopolitical ideological differences that has been ongoing for centuries and has cost millions of people their lives and liberties to a catch phrase or two - how pathetic is that?

What is pathetic is your thought processes, not theirs. Their lives, no matter how short they may have been may more meaning than millions of others who never believed in anything but themselves and their silly idiotic ideologies enough never to think or see beyond their own elbow. The past weekend we celebrated tens of millions of Americans who thought beyond themselves, who believed in this nation and our way of life enough to serve it, and sacrifice for it. The fact is, and will always be, we enjoy our current status because of them and that this system breeds and creates great people who have and will continue to believe it enough to serve it. That is amazing. That is what makes America great - its people and thier belief in and their willingness to serve it. The President does not force people to serve - they serve voluntarily and proudly - and I honor them.

3. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ May 30 2007, 03:52 AM) [snapback]451941[/snapback]</div>
    How has Bush "screwed up our economy"? Are we in a recession? Average income is up and growth is steady. Inflation is within normal range, despite wildly fluctuating oil prices. Are interest rates and joblessness at late 70's type numbers (double digit for both)? Do you think the President (whoever it is) can really effect that much influence on our economy? Do you really believe the constant drone of bad economic news ( the sky is falling, the sky is falling :eek:) reporting you see on the media every day. I know there are area's that we need to improve, but take a look at the big picture. Compare us to the other economies in the world (such as Europe). I would certainly take ours over theirs.

Sorry to be off topic, but this is the kind of bad thinking that is annoying.

4. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm wondering who Cindy's son would feel more disgraced by....

His grieving mother whose entire life has been dismantled due to his loss as she tries to reconcile his death.

Or, the citizen who finds it appropriate to judge her and her method of reconciliation and grieving as they contribute nothing to and sacrifice nothing for this war. Her parenting skills were instrumental in raising a child who had enough courage to go to war. Daron, where are your children?

5. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ May 30 2007, 08:40 AM) [snapback]452028[/snapback]</div>
    The GOP amassed national debt is unsustainable.Every American owes the equivalent of an additional 3-4 years of back taxes with accruing interest.Borrow and spend.

6. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ May 30 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]452139[/snapback]</div>
    And what, there was no national debt when Bush took office?

7. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 30 2007, 07:31 AM) [snapback]452005[/snapback]</div>
    Your thoughts are so complex that they make you confused.
    Your neocon heroes in the PNAC clearly stated in the 90s that the US needed another Pearl Harbor to motivate people to war .
    You neocons required a disaster such as 9/11 and received the knee jerk reaction you you wanted. Now you cant understand what motivated people?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ May 30 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]452151[/snapback]</div>
    From previous Republican presidents .Borrow and spend was the legacy of Reagan.

8. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ May 30 2007, 12:19 PM) [snapback]452156[/snapback]</div>
    You must really like kool-aid.

9. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

Quick. Everyone. Tin foil hat time.

10. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ May 30 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]452151[/snapback]</div>
    There was no national deficit when he took office. They were making plans on what to do with the surplus in the 2000 debates.

With the dot-com bubble, the economy was sure to go down anyway, but add an expensive voluntary war and tax breaks for the wealthy into the mix, and it's not a good thing. I was unemployed for 9 months in 2003, and as an engineer with a solid resume, that has never happened before. Most of my friends were in a similar situation (our division was axed). The economy is kind of recovering, but now housing prices are faltering, bankruptcies/foreclosures are returning, so don't put all your money in the stock market now, we're not back to golden times yet.

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ May 30 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]452139[/snapback]</div>
    The budget deficit is growing or shrinking? Federal tax receepts are increasing or decreasing?

And now that the Dems control spending - what are they doing? They are now the responsible party for all spending...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ May 30 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]452193[/snapback]</div>
    Voluntary War? I guess 9/11 was a voluntary attack that cost 3,000 innocent Americans their lives and cost the economy hundreds of billions of dollars if not a trillion or two - pretty big economic hit there too.

Tax breaks for the wealthy - what % of taxes are paid by the bottom 40% of American tax payers - and what % do the top 2-3% of American wage earners pay? And, how are the Federal tax receipts going? The problem is not taxing Americans it is FEDERAL spending --- and like it or not, the current war on terror is not a significant drain on this economy at all. Explain unemployment at less than 4.5% to me.

I am sorry you were out of work - i believe the average American changes jobs about 7 times during their working years - it is a natural event in our economy - do you want guaranteed employment for life like the french - and perhaps you would like a 35 hour work week too - and you want someone else to pay for your healthcare - and you should not have to buy your own food should you - i mean eating is a right isn't it - and then energy - why pay those bills - and education should be free through whatever level you want to go through - and your retirement account - that should be taken care of for you too??

The economy is a very complex being - you will always be able to point to good and bad stuff - overall the stock market which is what i believe to be a truer indicator that most things relfects the health of our economy as it stands today - very solid.

12. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ May 30 2007, 01:17 PM) [snapback]452193[/snapback]</div>
    There was no deficit for the year he took office, but the national debt was there from all the deficit spending in the previous years. And it didn't originate with Reagan as suggested. It goes all the way back to the 60's. Trying to blame all current problems on the current administration is foolish, and so is giving the current administration (whatever party) all the credit for the up years is foolish too. The government can only influence the economy, not control it. As I said, compare the US economy to Europe to see which is better. While ours isn't great it sure is a lot better than theirs.

13. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 30 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]452194[/snapback]</div>
    Im beginning to realize that the falling dollar and huge trade deficit may be buoying the DJIA.
    Foreigners are flush with cash and are buying stocks at a discount.The DJIA is indicating that the Chinese economy is great.

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ May 30 2007, 02:51 PM) [snapback]452207[/snapback]</div>
    I think thou realizations are incomplete - the DJIA is the cardiogram of the US economy - pretty healthy right now. good stuff and bad stuff going on - overall more good than bad.

15. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 30 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]452222[/snapback]</div>
    I think that your analogy is very good. As a physcian, you wouldn't give a patient a cardiogram, see that it looks good, and tell him he's healthy and send him out the door. He could still have cancer. The DJIA is only one indicator (and some people say that it's a flawed indicator- I don't pretend to be an expert) of the economy- you also have the CPI, GDP, unemployment, housing starts, etc. Just as a physician looks at all the medical indicators and uses his skills and judgement to determine whether or not the patient is healthy, so do these wizards we call economists assess all of these indicators and pronounce the economy healthy or not. Except here we're not just talking about one "patient" in the individual sense- even if the economy appears to be going gangbusters for one segment of the population (say, those with large investment portfolios), for others it may not be so healthy. And, despite what the DJIA might indicate, the anecdotal evidence I've read suggests that not only is there an increasingly greater disparity between the wealthy and the impoverished in the US, but also the middle class is continually struggling to maintain a decreasing standard of living. I'm reading all these stories now about how the children of the current middle class will be the first generation not to do as well or better than their parents.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 30 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]452194[/snapback]</div>
    9/11- Osama bin Laden and fundamentalist Saudis
    Iraq- Saddam Hussein and a secular Baathist regime
    9/11 and Iraq- NO CONNECTION
    We still have guys like John Boehner conflating Iraq and 9/11 on the house floor. Can we at least get the facts straight?