1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

anyone notice hyundai ioniq overtake p4 epa mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Hilux, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Hilux

Hilux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am a bit curious how they made it. since hyundai only use one motor and A traditional, gear box. The motor is also quite weak, only 3x Horsepower.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are a few threads here, but let's get some on the road and see how they do in real life over the next 5 years. then i'll let you know how they did or didn't.:)

3. Hilux

Hilux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i read some british reviews of ioniq, they got less mpg around 20%~80% than anounced figures.

thatoneraccoon likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the good things about Priuses is that they set the standard for efficient gas (or petrol) cars.

However (comma!!) there are two BAD things about being on top.
    1. There's only one way to go from there.
    2. Everybody wants to take your place.

I'm old enough to remember when Japanese cars were these wierd little contraptions that everybody laughed at until gas became really expensive, and until people started noticing that in addition to being cheaper, they lasted a helluva lot longer.

This didn't happen overnight, and now Japanese cars are the more expensive and dependable cars that places like China, and India, and KOREA are trying to supplant as the standard bearer.

Works for trucks, works for gas sippers too.

Underestimate the Koreans at your own peril.
    5 Car Quality Myths, Busted | J.D. Power Cars

....so yeah.
    I noticed. ;)

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The secret is that smaller motor and regular transmission. The motor's output goes through the transmission. With different gears available, the motor doesn't need to be as powerful as the one in the Prius, which connects to the wheels after the transaxle. The smaller motor also saves cost for a bigger battery. In steady state driving, Hyundai's hybrids automatically use pulse and glide.

The UK uses NEDC ratings. Those tests are easy, and yield good results that most drivers will never attain. The British Ioniq also isn't 'fully' equipped as the one coming to the USA. One difference is that the British car still has a 12 volt battery, while the American drop it for part of the traction pack running the 12volt systems. There might be other differences.

RCO and Felt like this.
  6. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    IMO I don't think any other manufacturer can top the Prius currently. The UK spec Ioniq hybrid doesn't include a lot of the features of the prius and although it appears to be cheaper than the Prius, when you spec it up to the same as the Prius it's not.
    The only Ioniq I'd consider would be the pure electric one.
    I don't use my Gen 4 much now as I'm semi-retired, I've only done 2.5K miles in 10 months, so I was considering going for a pure electric car next and the Ioniq looks interesting. I'm hoping though that Toyota get their finger out and get on with developing one in the next couple of years so I can stick with the brand.

7. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'll reserve judgement until a production model is tested. Wouldn't surprise me if the Iconiq overtakes the Prius though because the Sonota hybrid gets better mileage than the Camry hybrid.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ya, but that's the old camry.

RCO likes this.
  9. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No, 2017. Camry gets 40 combined, Sonota 42.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    new 3rd gen camry is 2018 with gen 4 prius improvements. hold on to your hats!:cool:

krmcg and RCO like this.
  11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So a third generation Camry hybrid will beat a second generation Sonata one;)

I'll be impressed if Hyundai/Kia publishes EPA ratings for the individual trims to their cars; some press releases appear that is the plan.

RCO likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what can i say, may the best car win!:)

RCO likes this.
  13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The big thing in UK about those early Japanese cars was they didn't leak oil, the time were spot on and they were reliable.

14. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's an engineering problem. There is an exact size power plant that is most efficient in any car. Most of the time there is mileage left on the table in favor of acceleration, top speed, amenities (that add weight), safety (more weight), style (more weight), cost (lighter materials weigh more), etc.

The real question is, "What are the true mileage figures?" Many have claimed better. How many have succeeded, to date?

RCO likes this.
  15. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    We all talk about "real world fuel efficiency."

I would point out that while "real world" numbers may provide a general guide, it really comes down to what fuel efficiency my car with me behind the wheel is able to achieve. There are too many variables that have a direct impact on fuel efficiency.

I drive more fuel efficient than my wife; a neighbor complains that his new 2015 Prius gas milage was not near what he expected. I took him for a drive and gave him pointers, then he reported back that his numbers had improved. He also said that his wife told him she disliked the way he faulted her driving.

Even on PC there are a few owners that are not getting the milage they expected. BTW, I happen to live in an area where I can drive long distances with light traffic at a near steady 35-55 mph. Idea conditions, and I normally beat the EPA figures, even in non-hybrid cars.

kithmo, RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. unfortunately, there is only one way to find that out. unless you can rent one.

Felt and RCO like this.
  17. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thatoneraccoon and bisco like this.
  18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  19. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But it's a no brainer on the Prius. It is the BEST mileage car out there for any situation except the very extremes (all short trips, all very high speed). It is truly the very best compromise for EVERY driver. Even when I am carrying a bike or full of passengers, the Prius beats every other option for its size. And I was able to put a chest freezer in it to haul home from the hardware store (much to the amazement of the kid that helped me load it).

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That is true, but not everyone is willing to buy one.
    Hybrid sales are growing because there is now more choice.