1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone notice increased MPG's from non c vehicles?

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by frugaldriver, Oct 7, 2012.

1. frugaldriver

frugaldriver Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse - Cato

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just curious if anyone has noticed that since playing the MPG game with the c, has also noticed an uptick with the MPG's of their other vehicles. Mostly interested in comments from first time hybrid buyers, but experienced ones are welcome as well. Also, roughly how much improvement has there been in driving those other vehicles?

2. photogrl13

photogrl13 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This happened when we purchased our first hybrid. I was explaining all the techniques to my husband and his MPG went up significantly in his civic coupe.

Tracy likes this.
  3. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got our 2010 Ram 1500 to 25mpg just by driving 55 in the slow lane...rpm's sat right around 1100 the entire time vs. 1600 at 65.

4. frugaldriver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to see that other vehicles are benefiting from hybrid experience. IMO, if they would just add an instant MPG meter to all vehicles, it would improve everyone's driving habits.

Tracy likes this.
  5. Tracy

Tracy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I think you're right. The immediate feedback makes a huge difference. But....might be some other manufacturers or cars where that kind of information could be too depressing ;)

frugaldriver likes this.
  6. frugaldriver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I've even seen that display in the newer Ford pickups, granted they were toting just how fuel efficient they are. I think especially if you live in California, any way to improve your current driving habits would help. I couldn't believe when I saw on the news some places are charging 5.40+ for a gallon. I bet hybrid sales are going to soar in the sunshine state (which is nothing but good news, I would love to see continued improvement in hybrid technology). Granted even at those prices, Europe (and pretty much everywhere else) still pays $3+ more per gallon.

Tracy likes this.
  7. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am actually an owner of a toyota matrix and by following this forum and using some tricks and driving slower, I am actually getting 38-39 MPG my last few tanks, which is improved from 33MPG to 35MPG. I also shared some tricks with my brother who owns a 08 camry hybrid and we just got back from a roadtrip and averaged 40.5 MPG with it on the way back. Way down drove 80 MPH, AC on getting there and got 35.5. I always drove eco minded but by following a few tricks, I was even able to get better. Something I think contributed majorly is by getting off the accelerator and coasting 1/2 mile or more up to lights, depending on traffic. Sure, it annoys some, but a lot of times, I am able to take off without ever stopping, and not having to go from 0-10+MPH or higher really helps gas mileage.

8. robsnyder20

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    By the way, when my matrix goes, I plan on getting a C as my matrix has 253,000 miles. So saving up while I can before biting the bullet!

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My non-hybrid MPG jumped 20-25%, a year before buying a hybrid.

The household's youngest non-hybrid had always disappointed me at the pump. In 2008, a news story about the surging fuel prices mentioned the existence of aftermarket MPG displays for cars lacking such readouts. Within a few hours, I discovered and ordered a ScanGauge-II, then discovered CleanMPG.com and Wayne Gerdes. MPG jumped immediately, and continued rising through the rest of the summer and fall.

We had recently experienced great MPG in a rental Prius. The household's oldest car was several years overdue for retirement, but no suitable replacement had been identified. The upcoming release of the GenIII Prius (May 2009) produced an obvious answer.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I first became interested in Prius and Hybrids, and read about hybrid driving techniques, I consciously and sometimes I think unconsciously began applying some of them to my vehicle at the time which was a 92 Honda Accord. I was impressed with how much I was able to improve my gas mileage by just doing some very basic Hybrid techniques that can be applied to any vehicle. I easily got a 3-5 MPG increase by simply doing some real basics.

Is this a testament to hypermiling driving techniques or a revelation of how wastefully I used to drive? Probably a little of both.

I now own a Honda Fit, which is more efficient than the 92 Accord by default. I don't seem to be able to get as much "difference" in MPG. However, some of the things I have learned in Prius Chat I apply anyway.

A big one.....is I now sit with my engine turned OFF in drive-thru take out lines. I don't have the convenience of HSD, or electric motors to aide in this endevour, but the knowledge I've gained here and with Hybrid Consciousness, makes it almost impossible for me to sit unmoving with my engine running.

11. robsnyder20

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would caution you against shutting off the engine for short waits, maybe if its going to be a long wait, that might be a good idea. Your car probably consumes probably .2 GPH and shutting it off and restarting it could wear the starter motor faster. Granted on my toyota matrix 03, that didn't happen till last year with 240K, some cars might not last that long. Something to consider anyway!

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In some areas, it is a requirement:

[​IMG]
    My 2.5L Subaru consumes 0.3 GPH during warm idle, with AC off. When the AC compressor kicks in, it jumps to 0.5 GPH.

13. frugaldriver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I share a similar technique to the one you described. I laugh at those people who are annoyed by it and switch to the other lane because its "faster" (because it really makes sense to speed up to a red light), only to have me coast by them because I didn't stop (so much for faster). I have seen improvements in my MPG's as a result as well, averaging 30-35 mpg from my Corolla where before I was getting 25-27 in town. And like you, I'm waiting until my Corolla dies before getting a c, but I cant wail till that day (250,000 miles and still running fine, may be a couple years ;) ). Also, like you I will save up enough to buy the c outright rather than pay double in interest (just makes sense to me). Even with improved MPG's, it would make no economic sense to buy a c just for the sake of getting better mileage, especially with my Corolla paid for.

14. robsnyder20

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I guess I'm lucky, my matrix consumes .2 idle no ac and .3 with AC on. Like Frugaldriver, I'm saving up as well as my matrix has been paid for years ago and with very little maintenance issues, waiting till it dies to buy one. I was planning on getting rid of the matrix at 200K but at 250K and maybe spent $600 into repair issues, waiting to save up for a C since the matrix is worth only 3K or so anyway if I'm lucky.

15. Revan86

Revan86 Animal nerd and alt car guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I would get 30ish in my old fit. Then about a year befor I got the C, I started reading about hypermiling. Started trying it. Was shocked to learn that the car could give me 50mpg if I tryed hard enough. It was a huge reason I got the C. My thought was if I can get 45-50 in the Fit what could I get in a hybrid. The Prius C looks so much like the Fit most people didn't know I got a new car until I talk about it.

16. frugaldriver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming that the engine doesn't fail, even spending $800 here and there for repairs is still pennies compared to $20k for a c. I would be lucky to get 1000 for my Corolla (made in 1993, no AC, no power windows, manual transmission), but that's fine, I kinda like driving it and will continue till it dies (thanks to Toyota longevity, it may be a while, figuring at least another 30,000+ ;) ). Still though, cant wait till I get a c (it may be into its second generation by then, even better! :)).

17. robsnyder20

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I guess I'm lucky, AC, pwr windows, but MT which I don't mind and will miss when I get my C sometimes. This morning driving in, left the house early and on my 36.5 mile commute 1 way, I got the best ever, 53.5 MPG on the way in, max speed was 55MPH and oftentimes kept it at 50MPH and no AC on. I am sure if I had the C, I could probably get 70+ MPG this morning, who knows maybe even higher.

Yes, thanks to my great running corolla/matrix at 250K, I still don't HAVE to get a new car yet, you gotta love toyotas!

frugaldriver likes this.
  18. crebble

crebble Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. My wife's AWD Suzuki XL-7 gets 17 MPG around town and 21 MPG highway. It hasn't improved. It has a 252 HP V-6, and is frankly, a relief to drive after putting around in the Prius all week. I actually forget what it feels like to have available torque! Nice to just turn a key and drive without worrying about MPGs. Until I have to fill it. :)

19. frugaldriver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I kinda hear you on that one, but to a lesser degree regarding horsepower/torque. My current vehicle has 113 HP so the switch to the c will be slightly noticeable, however for me as long as it can A) get up to highway speeds and maintain them, and B) get up to city speeds and maintain them, that is all I expect in a car. How fast the vehicle gets up to those speeds doesn't really matter in most cases (as traffic lights attest, I've passed many 200 hp+ vehicles by simply gliding up to stop lights). I'm not picky and don't need a vehicle that goes 0-60 in 4 seconds (besides legally when can you do that), but maybe that is because I have never been behind the wheel of something with ungodly amounts of horsepower. As a practical vehicle I think that the c will fit nicely with me, but that is probably just me. And like you mentioned, filling a c has its perks compared to other vehicles with more hp.

20. robsnyder20

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I got my matrix 8 years ago, I used to have a supercharged grand prix GTP and thought I would really miss the HP. Usually I got about 24 if I babied it. I realized though I loved driving my matrix normally, with AC on most all the time and still got 33+ MPG and it was still exciting to drive and seems to almost have all the get up and go my previous car had. Saying that, if I need to get around someone, either A, I can step on the accelerator or B, I can let off the accelerator and merge in after them. Usually I just pick the latter and my MPG thanks me.