1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone noticing a dragging/surging in the powertrain?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by That_Prius_Car, Jan 27, 2017.

1. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've noticed it more recently, but when I'm cruising at 40-50 mph on a flat road and steady pressure on the accelerator, there's a constant surge and drag that happens. You can feel it in the butt of your seat, and you can see it happen on the energy flow screen too. When it drags and feels like it's being held back, the engine is powering the wheels and also charging the battery. But when it surges forward, it's uses the battery in combination with the engine. That makes sense and is all fine to me, I know all my 3 previous generations of Prius did this constant switching from charging and discharging too, but I could never feel it happening. I wonder if there will ever be a software update for it?

FuelMiser likes this.
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm. I've seen that process on the screen many times, but never felt the surge and drag that you noticed. It seems strange to me, but this is my 1st Prius and only 3,000 miles, so let's see if any of the village elders can offer wise words.

That_Prius_Car likes this.
  3. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your reply! Funny thing is, I also just hit 3,000 miles! I love everything about it so far.

RCO likes this.
  4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Snap! Yes, me as well. In UK mine is a Business Edition which is a bit like your three and I'm doing over most of the things about it. Biggest gripe is the lack of screen mirroring for phone satnav. (y)

5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    The only time I've noticed any surging or a distinct changeover from ICE to electric or vice versa, in any of the Priuses I've owned, is when I've filled up with cheaper lesser quality petrol.

That_Prius_Car likes this.
  6. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know if that's the case. I only use top tier gasoline. It's never been filled with anything but Shell, BP, and Exxon. But maybe. It's still doing it though with 4,200 miles now. I don't think I'll say anything about it though.

7. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Does it do it with all those brands or is it worse with any one ?
    (I only use Shell).

RCO likes this.
  8. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use them all fairly evenly. It all feels the same to me. Not better or worse with any type that I've noticed. But I can only feel it at 40-50 MPH. May just be normal. Other than that, everything else is perfect. No issues.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably just the nature of the beast. in the quest for mpg's, we think it should get smoother, but that may not be appropriate.

10. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Maybe you have 'the touch' and keep the accelerator right at the point between gas power and regen... also you probably -listen- intuit. What kind of mileage are you getting?

11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That might be difficult to assess without purging the tank before each brand change

kithmo likes this.
  12. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I comparing my gen 4 to my old Gen 2. All years of Prius have that feeling of surging as the electric motors start and stop, regen mode and the ICE starting and stopping. Amazing it works as good as it does. The new gen 4 has different transmission design that spins faster with less parts. It does have some different feelings, but very similar to the past years of Prius. From my 11 years of Prius experience it's all normal. I would guess it's one of the most reliable and durable systems in automobile's today.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  13. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes! I'm at 3,000 miles also, and routinely cruise 45 mph on a smooth, level road and notice the same thing.

14. benlovesgoddess

benlovesgoddess Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not noticed that. Occasionally the engine will sound like its revving when the throttle isnt depressed, as if in a manual when the clutch is dipped and throttle pressed down. A few times as i descend a hill its been noticed.
    As for surging, i've been in power mode a lot recently, the car definitely surges forward a lot better!

15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds like the battery is near fully charged and the excess power is spinning up the engine without using petrol. This is quite normal for a Gen 4. Usually while coasting downhill, so would that be what you heard?

FuelMiser likes this.
  16. benlovesgoddess

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, cheers! Not far off 20,000 miles, only complaint has been the occasional glitch with the parking sensors not working. Seen fewer Priuses in 2017, a blue one twice.

17. benlovesgoddess

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You have your model listed as 3, i cant remember why mine says 4. Is yours the Business Edition plus?

18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    'Fraid not, just the Business Edition. When I registered on PC the was no Business Edition option on the profile details page, so I chose the nearest USA equivalent.

19. benlovesgoddess

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe thats what i did, and i put 4..! I had the choice of this one or no Prius.

RCO likes this.