1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone out there Folding@Home?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Oct 13, 2006.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it should allow ANY other application first priority to any function of the computer. it is supposed to only use vacant CPU cycles. i would assume it would be the same for the time its downloading although mine doesnt even take a minute to download another WU

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Downloading a WU takes nearly no time. Uploading a finished result, I gather, can take longer: Files can be up to 5 MB, or larger if you allow it big ones.

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 22 2007, 03:51 PM) [snapback]427964[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome Daniel! I'll try to find some more information on the Mac client for you.

Wildkow

4. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's all over but the crying. . . [attachmentid=7638]

Wildkow

Attached Files:

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 24 2007, 06:31 AM) [snapback]428908[/snapback]</div>
    What's that link to the comparison charts again?

[edit] I found it http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/tea...=52533&p=12

Team Wildkow (RANK 1184) has just been passed by team Priuschat (RANK 1181).

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Apr 24 2007, 04:55 AM) [snapback]428919[/snapback]</div>
    WRONG AGAIN MY DEAR FOLDING FELLOW!

Priuschat 1180 vs. Wildkow 1184. :p

Wildkow

p.s. Pass the salt please. :rolleyes:

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 24 2007, 01:00 PM) [snapback]429076[/snapback]</div>

Yeah, not surprised that Priuschat moved up another notch this morning, but I am shocked that team wildkow is still at 1184. I would have thought they would be around 1500 or so by now..... :p

8. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 24 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]429076[/snapback]</div>
    I've been trying to be especially kind since your assimilation.

But, since you asked...who's your favorite among the current Demo[n]cratic Presidential candidates? :unsure:

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Finished my first WU last night (took slightly over 4 days) and am finally listed as a team member. Several others, who also have only one WU, have more points. I really couldn't care less about points, but I am curious about that. Perhaps they had bigger WUs?

People on the F@H chat board suggested running the SMP client, but the notes on the site suggest running it on 4-core machines, not 2-core, so at least for now I'll stick with the GUI client.

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Apr 24 2007, 02:39 PM) [snapback]429306[/snapback]</div>
    I think Hillary is the best politician so she would have to be number one, then probably Joe Biden and last maybe Barack Obama.

BTW I got my fast computer up and running finally! I hope to get about 700-1000 ppd out of it.

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 27 2007, 08:27 AM) [snapback]431166[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel I am running the SMP client on my Core2 E6600 machine and not having troubles and so is GeoRox. I hope to get 700+ points per day. Congrats on getting on the board. BTW are you running two clients on your Core 2 machine if so did you make sure to give them seperate machine ID's?

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Apr 24 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]429086[/snapback]</div>
    I think there are a couple machines out there still folding that I can't get too to change team numbers. One of them is ancient, I would guess the client is a good 5+ years old. It's on a Linux server running SME/E_Smith 5.xx something, so no wonder it's still running. The other one is a Windows desktop at an insurance office where I setup the network. I used to have 8 machines folding there but one by one they have crapped out in the last two years. I have no access to those machines anymore so until then they will still be folding for team Wildkow. I think I have 8 machines folding for team priuschat now but only five ever show up in the stats at one time. What's up with that?

Wildkow

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 30 2007, 04:37 AM) [snapback]432451[/snapback]</div>
    I read as much of the FAQs as my brain could absorb, and in the end was more confused than ever. So I just installed the one GUI client. People tell me I can do stuff, which I see no way to do. Supposedly there are options that I do not see. And I am very reluctant to run a program that I do not know how to control. The documentation seems to be written for computer geeks, and although I am computer savvy, I am nowhere near the level of geek, and I do not understand systems-level stuff. I think I'd need to see a clear, concise users manual (doesn't have to be a print copy :D ) before I'd want to install the SMP client. And as long as they're saying not to install it on 2-core machines, I'd want to know that someone had been running it for a while on a machine identical to mine, before I'd go against their recommendation.

I tried to read the FAQ on how to run two simultaneous clients, but I didn't understand it well enough to feel at all comfortable trying it. I depend on this computer too much to risk installing programs I do not understand. It's not that I mistrust the programs. It's that I mistrust my ability to set them up properly.

12. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Done and done. Wife & I have it on both our machines.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    now i am stuck at 32 WU and now none of the computers are going...guess i ll try to reinstall again

14. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Apr 30 2007, 05:32 PM) [snapback]432879[/snapback]</div>
    Weird, any error messages or anything?

Wildkow

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well... hmm. log file says trying to access server addy 0.0.0.0 ...getting the obvious server error... weird.

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Apr 30 2007, 05:54 PM) [snapback]432896[/snapback]</div>
    From the F@H FAQ. . .

My client got assigned to the IP address 0.0.0.0. What's up? From time to time, we may not have work that matches the requirement of every platform. When that is true, we will not supply you with duplicated work that really isn't needed. We'd rather have some clients idle and repeatedly rechecking for new work than busy for long periods working on something that doesn't need to be completed. Even though your computer may see occasional idle periods, we still value your donations. If this continues for an extended period of time, be sure to ask for help because that's not normal.

Also the talk on the net is that many F@H servers are down since before yesterday.

Wildkow

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i uninstalled and re-installed and have two of three going right now... the other keeps getting download errors, but the first two had the same issues for a while so i expect it to be up and running shortly.

18. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Apr 30 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]433035[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! Now I can't get a WU for my SMP powered fast machine. My server IP is 0.0.0.0.0, Grrrrr..... :angry:

19. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On October 13, 2006, I posted the topic about Folding@Home and now just 7 months later the Priuschat.com folding team is moving into the top 1000 out of 30K+ active teams and well over 70K+ total teams.

<div align="center"> :D !!! Congratulations !!! :D </div>

That's a really good thing because what we are dong here is not some cutesy little trick for your computer to do while your not using it. It is real science that will tell researchers how to cure some pretty horrible diseases. But there is still a lot to do and a lot of computing power is still needed. So if you haven't join up yet, please consider doing so, the life you save may be your own or a loved one.

I see we do have a few more folders that have hooked up with the team in the last couple weeks. I would like to welcome you to the team and thank you for participating. :)

To the regulars I'd like to ask if there is an auto installer they know of out there that we could configure for our own use? If so maybe then we could ask Danny to put it in the file area?

Danny is it possible to get a button or graphic put somewhere on the site so that our efforts are recognized and maybe attract more attention to the cause?

Once again Congratulations team Priuschat! :D

Wildkow

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 30 2007, 07:31 PM) [snapback]432976[/snapback]</div>
    It was yesterday or the day before that mine finished a WU, and was unable to upload it for more than 13 hours. It downloaded a fresh WU and began working on it, and every little while it would try and fail to upload the finished one. Finally it was able to send off the completed WU.

But it was working on the new one the whole time, so there was no time lost. I've completed 3 and am working on number 4.