1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone out there Folding@Home?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Oct 13, 2006.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Oct 21 2006, 10:09 AM) [snapback]336068[/snapback]</div>
    I takes a little time to get through the system, basic flow is 1) you download, configure, and run, 2) some time later (a day or 2 or 5) your machine finishes the assignment and sends the results back to the FAH website (assuming you are connected to the net) and receives it's next assignment, 3) a few hours later your workunit and score start showing up in the stats. Your name does not show up until you've actually completed some work. On some of the stat sites (e.g. fahstats) your name disappears if you have not done work in awhile.

On that note, geologyrox completed a unit overnight, and she's now on the list. We're getting some traction...

I'm still waiting for wildkow to donate a workunit...

The priusonline team has yet to post *any* results.

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://fahstats.com/index.php?col=3&search=prius

Ok here are some new stats for the folding team but first a caution; Don’t edit your config.cfg file with a text or word processor program. It is a binary file now and should not be edited with a text editor. If anyone has joined a team and is wondering why their points are not being tallied that is most probably the reason. If you are still having problems post a message or pm me and I will try and help. Blast! I put two machines too folding and they have been posting points to team “anonymous “ grrrrrr. Second with over 16,000 members on PC and almost 8,000 on POL I am a bit disappointed that so far all we have is 5 from PC and 2 from POL. Surely we have some other members out there with a bit of a competitive spirit that would like to assist the cause of science? I see a lot of posts out there commenting on the present administrations policy towards this type of research. Some of them not very nice yet I don't see their names on the list yet. [attachmentid=5493] Your computer may be the one that folds or misfolds the correct protein and makes a major scientific discovery. Who knows they may even find a cure for Liberalism! BaHaHaHaHahahaha I kill myself. [attachmentid=5494]

Wildkow

Attached Files:

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Oct 28 2006, 12:17 AM) [snapback]339786[/snapback]</div>
    In windows, go to the command line in that directory, type FAH502-Console -configonly to change your config settings (or whatever version of software you are using). You should also use the -local option if you have a dual-core processor and have already configured both cores to run the folding routines. Follow the prompts to change your settings. If you are running the screen-saver version, just right click in the window or tray icon to change your settings, very easy.

We have had some new folks join this week, GeologyRox blew past me in the middle of the week. She has 3 processors cranking on this. Renokat and Kalkas have joined in this week.

Danny has also joined, maybe he has the priuschat servers working on this? Was hoping that the other moderators would sign up as well!

Team PriusChat is nearing the top 10,000 teams after folding for just a week. I'm thinking we can catch team Wildkow in 1500th place by the end of the year!

4. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I joined and I think it is pretty cool! I love watching how close to completing a work unit I am (I need a life :lol: )

My first career was a nurse for 20 years then I went back to school and earned a degree in computer technology and networking...FAH is combining both of my interest into something useful.

I probably won't have any huge number of units completed...My lap top is on all day at work and most the night at home.

Thanks for bringing the project to our attention!

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Oct 28 2006, 05:08 AM) [snapback]339891[/snapback]</div>
    [attachmentid=5500] [attachmentid=5500] [attachmentid=5500] [attachmentid=5500]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Oct 28 2006, 07:40 AM) [snapback]339911[/snapback]</div>
    If you think that is cool and you are using the console and not the screensaver version check this out. . . B)

http://home.comcast.net/~wxdude1/emsite/download.html

Wildkow

Attached Files:

• blbl.gif
      blbl.gif
      File size:
      749 bytes
      Views:
  6. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That looks cool...when I starting folding I downloaded the windows graphical version. Can I switch to the console version? Do I need to uninstall the graphical version first? Will I lose the WU's I have finished so far? :huh:

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Oct 28 2006, 04:08 PM) [snapback]340025[/snapback]</div>

You can switch. Uninstall the current version. You will lose all work on the current unit, so don't switch when you are 90% done with current unit. You will not lose credit for the workunits sent to the main servers. I switched primarily to take advantage of dual core processors, and you need command line version to do that.

8. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

We broke 10,000 today!

PriusChat is currently team 9976 of 46299 =)

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'm here too... just haven't posted my first work unit yet. 17000/20000 frames...

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 31 2006, 06:39 PM) [snapback]341605[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, some run for a day and you get 100 or so points, I just posted one today that ran for *days* and we received 535 points for it. They are running different folding projects, sort of random which ones you get.

Go Team PriusChat!

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ Oct 31 2006, 03:12 PM) [snapback]341595[/snapback]</div>
    That's still a long ways to 1488, come ‘on priuschat give me your best shot. I say you can't over take me in one years time even with over 16 thousand members. BAAHAHAHAHHaHaHahahahaha . . . [attachmentid=5556] Consider yerselves slapped silly, with a rubber gauntlet, just like a red-headed stepchild.

Wildkow

BTW. . .

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/tea...hp?s=&t=304

http://fahstats.com/tsum.php?t=304

Attached Files:

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Nov 1 2006, 02:37 AM) [snapback]341773[/snapback]</div>
    Now, why is it that we don't see at least one processor from Wildkow donating points to Team PriusChat? Give us one of the Celery's that seem to be offline. [Edit update: a Wildkow processor has just appeared in the Priusonline team list.]

Also, PS3's are coming out soon, might see some place shifting after that?

13. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Okay Boy's and Girl's it looks like PriusOnLine has some HeavyIron folding on their Fold@Home team and they will likely catchup and pass the PriusChat folding team sometime in the next two to three weeks. Not bad for a team with half the computers folding and 1/3 the total members. Kudo's POL you done good! :D

Wildkow

14. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You know, i ignored this thread for days because I thought it was spam...like make $5000 a week stuffing envelopes. Once curiosity got the best of me I read the thread and immediately started folding.

My point is...maybe promote the subject that does not look like spam and we may get more members to participate. Although, I see 747 people have read the thread so maybe people just aren't interested. <_<

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Just curious, what's everyone running?

I have 7 processors. 2 of them running at 3Ghz on a Dual Core, 2 of them running at 2 Ghz on Dual Core laptop, and the other 3 are P4's that I have scattered around the house. I have 2 of the dual cores going to Priuschat team, though I have scaled back on running the laptop so much as the fan is always running and the power supply seems hot. The other 5 processors I donate to another team.

GeologyRox has helped the team recently with an influx of a bunch of processors.

I notice that Wildkow is the one with "big iron," some of it directed at PO team, and the rest going to his own team. Do you overclock Wildkow or what is the secret behind all of the 600 points you are getting?

A couple of the PC team members seem to have dropped out or have their systems hanging on them (the screen saver version of the software seems to do that).

Danny is plugging away, I have hopes that he is using the PriusChat servers to donate cycles to the effort....

16. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am running mine on my lap top. I dropped off for a few days because I was in the hospital for some surgery. Didn't feel I should leave the laptop on day and night while I was away. Now that I am home it is on all day and all night except for maybe an hour.

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i've got a dual core laptop- 3.66 GHz combined processing power- but that's all i've got.

it runs in the background during the day while i'm at work, but sometimes my analysis programs demand a lot. also runs in the evening if i'm home and the computer is on, but i shut it off at night and pack it in my bag for the next morning.

18. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Oct 27 2006, 10:17 PM) [snapback]339786[/snapback]</div>
    PriusChat is ahead! I just signed up as well, altho I turn off my work PC most nights and every weekend. My Mac at home is set to go into sleep mode rather quickly, so I don't think it will produce much.

19. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Oct 27 2006, 10:17 PM) [snapback]339786[/snapback]</div>
    The config.cfg file is a text file (at least for my console version, I would believe it's the same for the GUI version). However, I looked at it with a hex editor, and it has the Unix-style line endings (LF only, not CR-LF), so if you're editing this with something that automatically converts it to MS-DOS style line endings, possibly it may be confused. More likely there was a subtle editing error, not sure if it likes spaces after the = sign for instance. I would make a copy first before editing.

One thing to watch - it installs it where the file is run from, and it creates more files in the process. I downloaded it to my desktop, so then it littered the desktop with new files. I modified the registry settings to move it to a new location (using some info from the other links provided in this thread), but obviously it's easier to install it in the right place to begin with. Maybe that was an option I glossed over during the install, but I don't recall seeing it. And this might be specific to the console version of the application.

20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I have acquired a new PS3.

I am torn between listing it on eBay, or opening it and seeing how many points I can donate to the PriusChat team with the superspeedy Folding@Home client that comes with the box....