1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone out there Folding@Home?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Oct 13, 2006.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a utility that shows me the temperature of the CPUs. I do not know how to set the BIOS to down-clock them based on temperature.

I run an iMac with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and Mac OS X 10.4.10

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK team, Danny has replied in the affirmative to my request to place a PriusChat Folding Team Tag on the Home Page of PriusChat.com! Sweeeeeet! :lol:

I think it would be a good idea and a good way to recruit more members if we had a public contest to design the tag for the team, what do you all think? Inquiring minds want to know! :D I also need good ideas how to stage the contest etc. . . I got $20 bucks for a gift cert to Priuschat store if anyone else wants to toss in we may get tons of people this way. . . Come on guys and gals put your heads together and give me ideas, pwease?!?! B)

Wildkow [attachmentid=11143]

Attached Files:

3. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just like Fred's House of Pancakes, there should be a separate forum just for PriusChat Folding.

Then we could have stickies for explaining how to setup.
    Each user could post his own personal setup / rig.

I think the worldwide publicity for team PriusChat is very good for this site, we're solidly in the Top 500 teams.

I agree we need lots of people doing this.

4. markderail

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Stats of Kakao are fun to look at.

Just this we should crunch for at least 224,000 points. We're overtaking so many teams, I think we'll be in the top 250 before the end of September.

I'll be top 10 this week, after which is a slow grind to catch up to the top 3.
    ClearView22 is actually going to be #1 soon.

On Monday I beat my previous record, 11,571, thanks to those additional P4's I brought online.

Time to recruit some more machines...
    Or build a monster !!! Check This Out

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Attached Files:

6. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Our PriusChat team has broken into the top 400 teams at Folding at Home! Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

7. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Great! Now onward for # 350...

8. Jeannie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I came across this 'recruiting' video in the Folding@Home Community forum:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jv9UdMNkN74

It's for the Folding Frogs team rather than our own PriusChat team, but it's very informative. Can anyone put together something like this as a recruiting tool for our team?

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Sep 6 2007, 06:22 AM) [snapback]507890[/snapback]</div>
    That's an excellent and very professional-looking video. I'll be very impressed if anyone here can match it. But I also know that we have some very talented folks on PC. And one more folding promo on YouTube wouldn't hurt.

10. markderail

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I find it sad there aren't more people folding.

It's so easy to setup and use, and you see zero impact with your computer. I've even played some games at the same time and notice ZERO difference.

We simply need more publicity on the board...

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to say that I've uninstalled the folding program from both PCs I was using. One of them was crashing frequently...not sure it's the folding program, but it was working OK before installing and it was clearly making my HD spin like crazy when running.

My laptop seemed to work OK with it on there, but the folding program would stall whenever the screen saver came on or it went into sleep mode. So I got about 70% of the way through a unit about 10 times but never once completed a unit. In addition it did make some programs sluggish to start up.

Sorry guys, I tried, but it's not worth the frustration for me.

12. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 6 2007, 10:22 AM) [snapback]507979[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sorry to hear that too evan and a bit surprised that you are having diffculties as this program has been thoroughly wrung out by the scientific and computer community and given a stamp of approval. I know your busy but if you care to try again perhaps we "the team" can help you troubleshoot it. If not, perhaps it's time to get the kiddies a PS3? You can play Blu-Ray movies on it, use it as a media server, play games, some of them educational and Fold! What do you say? Huh? Huh? Huh? I hope evan's kids read this and know how to apply parental leverage. :p :lol: If it’s not too much trouble evan send their email too me!

Wildkow

p.s. BTW anyone have some ideas for a team tag that Danny can insert into onto the home page?

13. Jeannie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 6 2007, 01:22 PM) [snapback]507979[/snapback]</div>
    Was this with using the SMP client on dual-core machines? If so, you could try switching to the regular GUI client - then you'd only be using one of the cores for Folding, so that will slow down the disk accesses. You'd still be contributing; you just wouldn't be accessing the larger work units that SMP can crunch.

The Windows GUI client is very simple to set up - you download it and then execute the downloaded file. It will ask you for a user name and team number, then start up. You'll see it as an icon in your system tray. If you left-click on the icon, it brings up a window showing your progress, estimated finish date, etc. If you right-click on it, you can choose the 'configure' option (in case you need to change your user name or team number).

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Sep 6 2007, 01:23 PM) [snapback]508014[/snapback]</div>
    I was using the basic GUI client, never could get the SMP to work, and still it stalled out and never seemed to work right on either machine...seriously I left both machines (pretty up to date both w/ 2GB RAM, laptop w/ dual core, desktop w/3.xmhz single cpu both on Vista). I swear it's the screen saver causing the problems...but who knows. They are conflicting and I'm just not motivated enough to troubleshoot them.

15. Jeannie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 6 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]508065[/snapback]</div>
    I'm running the basic Windows Gui on my laptop with XP, and running two Windows Clients on my older desktop with XP with no problems (unless I lose my Internet connection just before a Work Unit finishes - sometimes it recovers ok and is able to send the finished work unit, but once in a while it just gives up on sending the work unit and starts a new one when the Internet connection is restored.)

My guess would be that the problem is something in Vista reacting badly with the screensaver. In the two months I've owned a Vista machine, the screensaver has randomly stopped working about half a dozen times and I wind up in a 'Windows cannot start correctly and will attempt to fix itself' about half a dozen times when I reboot (some of them before I started folding on the Vista machine). And that's not counting the other half dozen times it won't reboot properly after a Vista update, requiring another 'repair'. My mantra is 'someday Vista will be stable'!

16. CornBoy

CornBoy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Sep 4 2007, 08:29 PM) [snapback]507015[/snapback]</div>
    Haven't thought this through besides "I want one too" but how many PPD would one fetch on something like this? I'm too lazy to do math tonight. (Also just read that materials have since dropped to 1200-1300 dollars since they first built it....)

17. markderail

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For folding something simpler will do the trick, as there is no huge datapipe between the nodes when folding.

The only savings are from booting all four nodes off a single hard disk.

Linux is nice in being able to boot a kernel over a network (bootstrap). We used to have PC's with no hard disks in the early 90's.
    Same technology, so can save $$$ on just 1 floppy, 1 hard disk, 1 keyboard, 1 mouse.

For SMP, there's a limit to how many can run in one virtual server.
    Also, when virtualizing on a cluster with nodes, you get redundancy - not extra speed. In a virtual server you only get 4 cpu's.

If your cluster has 16 cpu's, you can run 4 virtuals of 4 cpu's.

So what's the point if each node already has 2 or 4 cpu's? Might as well keep them separate.
    Also virtualizing steals CPU cycles.

So if you have four single cpu PC's and cluster/network them, you can have a 4 cpu virtual - with a net output LESS than if you crunch independently, in parallel, on each computer.

However for hosting a web application, one machine dies, your website still lives, it's just 3 cpu's instead of 4.

So the real innovation is having 1 master Ubuntu machine and multiple slave nodes that boot off the network and start crunching.
    Only 1 network card (on board) required, so it costs even less than the Microwulf.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 6 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]508065[/snapback]</div>
    Geez, I was about to post on how you must have old machines. Weird.
    The folding ONLY uses idle cpu cycles and some memory, nearly Zero hard disk I/O.
    On my laptop, GUI version, it's using 108k and 50% (one out of the two CPU's).

Tonight I secretly installed the GUI on my son's dual-core AMD 3800+ w/2gigs ram, and he plays WOW in very high resolutions. No complaints !
    One extra CPU for the team!

Cool, I made the Top 10 tonight !!! Total points in 1 day of 11,571 is going to be hard to beat even by me, looks like my daily average will be around 9k per day, just over 1k higher than ClearView22.

ClearView22 is using less than half the CPU's I'm using with nearly the same results. So he has good gear.

18. Jeannie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark Derail @ Sep 6 2007, 11:49 PM) [snapback]508345[/snapback]</div>
    I'm running folding on 2 XP machines (older models), 1 with the Gui and 1 with the client, and running SMP on my new VISTA AMD 64x2 5000 machine.

Both my XP machines have LED's blinking fairly often indicating some disk activity, and the VISTA machine has an LED blinking VERY rapidly indicating some disk activity. But the performance monitor (or resource utility? I forget which it is, and I'm on one of the XP machines now) shows that I'm actually not using anywhere near as much disk resource as I thought, considering the rapid blinking of the LED. So I can understand that Evan decided not to pursue 'folding' on his 2 VISTA machines for fear he was over-using the disk.

(BTW, I'm using a 2GB 'fast' SD card as a 'ready boost' drive, which probably isn't really helping much since I've already got 3 megabytes of memory!)

None of my machines seem to get particularly 'hot' based on my low-tech hand touching the skins of the computers and feeling the air flow from the fans (although my laptop got very warm without even doing folding until I put it into a docking station, where the bottom of the laptop is now elevated, rather than sitting directly on the desk surface). I don't know of any temperature sensing devices on any of these three computers, but I know from reading some of the Folding@Home community forums that some people who are a lot more 'techy' than I am have added extra cooling fans and sensors to their computers, especially when running the beta version with an ATI graphics card. I don't play computer games; my VISTA machine would need a better power supply and probably cooling 'stuff' if I were to get a graphics card just to have a DVI input for my monitor, and I don't have the knowledge or skills required to start tearing my computer apart and replace/add 'stuff' to it. So I guess I'm just fortunate that I don't seem to have any 'overheating' issues (and I'm not going to try to learn anything about 'overclocking' at this point in my life!)

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Sep 8 2007, 10:39 PM) [snapback]509405[/snapback]</div>
    I run a little utility on my iMac that tells me the temperature of each of the two cores. They get pretty hot when I'm folding. I'd imagine there'd be a similar utility for a PC.

20. Jeannie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 9 2007, 01:57 AM) [snapback]509413[/snapback]</div>
    I assume it depends on whether there are temperature sensors on the motherboard, and I'll admit total ignorance! Mark mentioned looking at the BIOS, and I've never looked at the BIOS on this machine, because I don't know what I'm doing.

Are you running a quad core or a dual core MAC, Daniel? I know the MACs are now run with Intel chips, and I read somewhere that the Intel processors for WINDOWS run hotter than the equivalent AMD processors, but I don't know if that applies with MACs (comparing apples with lemons?)