1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone out there Folding@Home?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sweet two more for the Home Team you did use team number #304 did you not? :rolleyes:

Wildkow

p.s. Come on the rest of you guys and gals on PC! Get the client and start folding don't be a lamer! Just think your computer may be the one that puts the key piece of the puzzle together that cures a horrible, horrible disease. Who knows it might be you that comes down with it later in life.

2. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One of my colleagues just downloaded the program and was asking me to do the same. I will do it. :)

3. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mine is set to fold all the time, I just don't have a very fast processor. I also took awhile to complete my last WU because it had 50,000 frames.

I'm chugging along. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can,....

4. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Mar 20 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]408943[/snapback]</div>
    nerfer is also static at this time, but has had activity within the past 50 days.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 20 2007, 06:40 PM) [snapback]409243[/snapback]</div>
    I hope not because Team PriusChat is number 52533.

Welcome to chinalfr, DaveinOlyWA, and Michgal007. I look forward to seeing you among the ranks as soon as your first work unit is complete.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8AA @ Mar 20 2007, 07:07 PM) [snapback]409263[/snapback]</div>
    You're doing great...keep chugging!

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Mar 20 2007, 05:20 PM) [snapback]409269[/snapback]</div>
    Heh, my bad that's my team number! Wonder how that happened? :rolleyes:

Wildkow

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 20 2007, 02:47 AM) [snapback]408809[/snapback]</div>

Wow! Movement can't be attributed to me. The PS3 client is not scheduled to be released until this Friday. From the videos and press I've seen, the PS3 client looks really sweet, I'll post some photos once it is up and running this weekend....

I think the movement you are seeing is just power from the masses! You are doing a great recruitment and cheerleading job, I appreciate that!

By the way, the PriusChat team number is 52533. I'm sure it was just a typo (or 5); you wouldn't try to deceive people into joining your team on purpose (again), would you... ;)

7. sharkmeister

sharkmeister Junior Member

Date of last work unit 2007-03-11 22:10:54
    Total score 8714
    Overall rank (if points are combined) 101181 of 611968
    Active processors (within 50 days) 1
    Active processors (within 7 days) 0

8. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Mar 20 2007, 07:20 PM) [snapback]409269[/snapback]</div>
    nerfer is back in production.

So, that leaves only tbsmith and johnpmid as non-functional at this time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sharkmeister @ Mar 21 2007, 07:52 AM) [snapback]409477[/snapback]</div>
    What Team are you participating in? I don't see you listed in Team PriusChat.

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Mar 21 2007, 04:59 AM) [snapback]409469[/snapback]</div>
    1) Your not running the PS3 client yet?!? Crikey mate I'm DOOMED!!! :( :( :(

2) Who me? ;)

Wildkow

10. sharkmeister

What's the procedure for joining Team Priuschat?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Mar 21 2007, 02:04 PM) [snapback]409651[/snapback]</div>

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sharkmeister @ Mar 21 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]409946[/snapback]</div>
    Read any of the posts by SufferingPriusEnvy and Bigdaddy they will help you get started. Click on the links provided and read this post by Suffering for tuning your Folding system. . .

http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=356481

Wildkow

p.s. Still stuck? Ask more questions I will be delighted to help even though it's not in Team Wildkow's best interest! :( By the way I think the team number is either #304 or #52533, I'm soooo confused on those two numbers. But on the bright side 304 is easier to type than that awfully large number 52533! My advice start small and work your way up until you get it right. ;) :rolleyes: :p

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sharkmeister @ Mar 21 2007, 07:42 PM) [snapback]409946[/snapback]</div>
    when you first register, you will be asked if you want to join a team. simply choose 52533 (prefered) if you want to be on the Priuschat team, or choose wildkows team(may be ostracized) if you want to help perpetuate his sense of grandeur...

to change your team, right click the icon in the taskbar and choose "configure"

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Been quite a day in the folding world. The PS3 client launched this morning at shortly after midnight PST. I downloaded mine at 5AM EST. Have already completed 1.5 work units.

Words can't explain how cool the client is on the PS3. You need to see this video to understand (look at the large version for best detail). http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/10122 (Sorry but there is brief commercial before the video).

The calculations work at about 12 frames per second, fast enough that you actually see the protein molecules vibrate as the simulation runs. Using the joystick you can rotate and zoom in/out of the protein. What you see in the video is all real time. When you play with it, days seem like they are compressed into minutes (or hours, at least).

Here's a picture I lifted off the net....
    [attachmentid=7040]

In the background, there is a realistic globe, with yellow dots that show active PS3s that are presently contributing to the project. The US and Japan are lit up. The PS3 launches everywhere else starting midnight tonight, so expecting a lot more yellow dots on the globe. I'm starting to see Australia light up on the east coast.

Don't know if you've been trying to get stats off the stat sites today, but basically they are flooded with traffic and having a hard time keeping up with the (WUs and interest) traffic. Stats haven't been updated since this morning, but it appears that the servers are coming back online.

As for amount of work done, looks like I am getting about 725 PPD. It was announced today that the PS3 is pegged at about 900 PPD, not proportional to work being done, but fair enough for the points system.

More importantly, all current PS3s combined are contributing 1/3 of the total work being done in the F@H project at this moment. There is lots of interest so it is peaking, hope that it keeps up. 10,000 PS3s will effectively double the amount of computing that F@H can do. You might see this happen tomorrow once Europe comes on line and the folks in the US start to contribute tonight when they get home from work.

The Folding Forums are pretty active right now (read slow and overloaded), the special area on PS3 can be found here: http://forum.folding-community.org/forum55,ps3-client.html I am PriusDaddy over there.

Spectacular day! :)

Attached Files:

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Quick Update: Friday Morning. I just checked the stats. The power of Folding @ Home has effectively doubled in the last 36 hours. There are a little over 10,000 Playstations contributing to the project now (5% of the total number of machines). They are contributing 251 TFlops out of a total of 492 TFlops of actual work contributed to the project (over 50%) and the number is still rising.

It's hard for me to compare exactly, but the combined work being done on the Folding @ Home "supercomputer" at the moment is one fastest speeds seen in any (declassified) system, behind BOINC's average power of 535 TFlops by about 10%. -- At the moment. -- Sure hope all the new PS3 folks don't lose interest.

Side note: watch team 2ch@ps3. They are new PS3 team started yesterday, already in 1084th place in less than a day. Doing at least 385,000 points per day and growing.

Go science!

15. sharkmeister

It didn't add my old score to the Priuschat team but it did add the new work unit my machine just submitted:

Team Priuschat (52533)
    Score 396 (certificate)
    Donator Rank 349747 of 622494
    WU 1 (certificate)
    Date of last
    work unit 2007-03-23 18:18:42

I have an Imac that I don't often use that has an Intel Duo processor, it should just scream running FAH. I may set it up.

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 24 2007, 02:02 AM) [snapback]411389[/snapback]</div>
    Saturday morning update: You'll like this update then, Wildkow. Since yesterday's post, the power of folding at home has tripled when compared to pre-PS3 numbers.

Here are the latest stats:
    [attachmentid=7066]

Note that before the PS3 addition, folding was running around 250 TFlops, it is now 781 TFlops. Also, for the last 24 hours that I've been tracking, there is a steady increase of about 450 PS3 added per hour; there are now almost 22,000 PS3s contributing. If this trend continues for next 20 or so hours, we are looking at having a Petaflop of power sometime Sunday morning.

From what I see at the moment, the machines that come online are not leaving. This won't go on forever, but for the short term the project is gaining a lot of steam. Also, on Sunday afternoon / evening, the regular PS3 gaming crowd is staging a "fold-a-thon" so who knows how many folks will hook up by tomorrow evening.

Also, it appears that interest is spilling out into the desktop world, cause those numbers are beginning to pick up slightly as well.

To, me this is all pretty astounding. I put this up there with other milestone "spectator" computing events such as DeepBlue defeating Kasparov in chess and Stanford winning the DARPA autonomous vehicle challenge (unmanned vehicles driving themselvs across rough desert terrain). In fact, the PS3 is really not the best machine for folding, it is the sheer number of them and the widespread public involvment that is making this happen. It's not quite a "grand challenge" but a good public awareness event for raw computing.

I believe that Skynet happens on Monday morning at 10:32 EST if current trends continue. Been nice knowing you all. :mellow:

---

On a sad note: I think I might have seen our team ranking briefly drop yesterday, before picking up again. There are lots of weird stat server issues going on, so it might have been due to that, but I have seen lots of teams with PS3s in them do some acrobatics and jump ahead by pages. I was hoping that we could pick up some more PS3s for the PriusChat team, cause we might be topping out sooner that we expected as a team. I went trolling last night for PS3s with another thread here, but I'm not sure if I caught anyone's attention...

Attached Files:

18. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Mar 24 2007, 07:02 AM) [snapback]411457[/snapback]</div>
    Uh, what do you think is the best machine then? A PS3 is nearly 20x faster than a typical PC, it completes work units in eight hours that take days on a PC. You can't go by the FLOPs in the chart, as the GPUs require extra overhead due to their lack of general instruction sets. The PS3 gets 900 points a day, which is more than an ATI Radeon X1900XT (around 700/day), which until recently was the fastest GPU you could buy.

I was a member of the Rage3D forum long before PriusChat, so I added my PS3 to their team. We're in 4th place overall.

Posted on Rage3D:

[​IMG]

19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Mar 25 2007, 02:32 AM) [snapback]411792[/snapback]</div>
    That comment comes from fact that with limited memory, a PS3 cannot do all types of work units. It's really, really good at the ones it can do, it just can't do all of them. One of the mods over on Folding forums mentioned that at the moment, the WUs for only about 1 of 8 present projects can be done on the PS3.

Don't know much about the GPUs but my impression is that they are somewhat more flexible folders, but who knows, maybe they are restricted too. If they are restricted, I would imagine they will get better as they grow in the speed and memory areas over the next 5 years, while one is pretty much static with the current PS3 configuration and the work it can do.

20. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Joined team 52533. Had done this a couple of years ago. When I bought a new computer I didn't restart the program.
    Very happy I saw this thread and restarted.
    Carl