1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone out there Folding@Home?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malibucarl @ Mar 25 2007, 01:58 PM) [snapback]411989[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome Carl glad to have you on the team. :D

Wildkow

No points were posted for any teams yesterday and there is no news about this on the F@H web site. Anyone have a clue as to what is going on? Personally I think its those pesky PS3 machines, I don't think they should be allowed, that is until I get one too. :p :rolleyes: <_<

Wildkow

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 25 2007, 05:41 PM) [snapback]411998[/snapback]</div>
    Stat servers running way behind. Main reasons being there was a network outage at Stanford on Friday and the PS3 load. Points are not getting lost. Team Priuschat is now in 1695 place.

The F@H forum and info servers are getting slammed, you can hit the web pages from within the PS3 client for stats and other info. Similar to what would happen if suddenly 25,000 new people started hitting the pages here on PriusChat (drawn to FHOP's levelheaded and pithy quest for knowledge, I would assume).

I don't have any word on the project hitting a Petaflop. When I could last check a couple of hours ago, project was at 990 Teraflops, still growing, but slowly. Basically the project quadrupled in power over the weekend.

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Mar 25 2007, 04:01 PM) [snapback]412030[/snapback]</div>
    You guys just posted 6,138 points and moved up 36 places! OMG! I know that's from two days but still 3,000+ points a day is dandy. It would be nice if we could move Priuschat into one of the top 100 Folding teams.

It's nice that everyone here is trying to save the enviroment but how about a few people also? Maybe even a few kids? :(

Wildkow

4. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to all the fuss about the PS3 FOH client I have joined the PriusChat folding team and should be cranking out my first work unit at some point today.

I didn't install it on my PS3 though. It's too shiny and new. The last distributed computer thing that I partook in was GIMPS to find large prime numbers. My machine at the time didn't have much of a CPU so it would take months to test one possible prime candidate. I think that there was some sort of a prize if you're computer was the one to discover a new prime number.

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trevor @ Mar 26 2007, 05:59 PM) [snapback]412551[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome! I see you on the list already!

C'mon get that PS3 humming. You can only play so much flOw or Resistance....

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    anyone still doing SETI??

7. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Mar 26 2007, 07:36 PM) [snapback]412615[/snapback]</div>
    Actually curiosity got the best of me. The PS3 should finish it work unit by tomorrow morning. And besides, it's all about Motorstorm. flOw is so two weeks ago. I'll be playing Guitar Hero on the Xbox 360 next week anyway so the PS3 can fold at will... or until I get my next electricity bill..

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Mar 26 2007, 07:44 PM) [snapback]412668[/snapback]</div>
    I quit doing SETI about the time F@H came out. I just don't see the point as we all know they are out there and I for one would rather find something useful and beneficial for mankind. Besides if "They" are anything at all like us and able to cross the hugemongus gaps between the stars their technology is going to be generations beyond what we have and that is a scary thought indeed. :eek:

Wildkow

p.s. BTW this team, 2ch@ps3, is INSANE! Just one guy on that team has passed my entire team, which has been folding for 4 or 5 years, in a little over one week!

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 28 2007, 10:40 PM) [snapback]414018[/snapback]</div>
    well i started folding with 4 computers, but the workunits are much larger and one is slow (windows 98) another gets turned on and off a lot (laptop) and when it does, it starts the workunit over, so its appears to have done the same half unit several times so i ended up taking both back to SETI since they did actually accomplish something

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Mar 29 2007, 01:31 PM) [snapback]414246[/snapback]</div>
    I don't believe that the client starts the workunit over. The client checkpoints the work done every 5 minutes or so. When the client starts up again, it picks up at the point. I have a laptop, and depending on my use of it, it will take weeks to do a unit on it.

If it is starting over (you see the frames always drop back to 0), then there might be an issue with it not being able to checkpoint (no space on harddrive?), but I've never heard of that. Also, if you fiddled with the checkpoint time, maybe it is set to something really high and never gets a chance to checkpoint? Just guessing....

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    plenty of hard drive space. only a few apps on it anyway. i have decided to just let it run a few days and see what happens.

i also installed it on my Mac Powerbook and it fails to connect to the server to download anything. any thoughts on that? running Mac OS 10.4.9 on 17" Powerbook. maybe server issues?? did have some connect problems occasionally with the other window computers, but they always straightened themselves out eventually. installed it an hour ago and still nothing

12. madams

madams New Member

I believe that Folding@home has quit operating. I just checked the BOINC site and it shows it discontinued.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madams @ Mar 29 2007, 01:45 PM) [snapback]414481[/snapback]</div>
    i dont think i would go quite that far. i downloaded a new work unit this morning

14. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Mar 29 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]414246[/snapback]</div>
    It's always nice to be doing and better yet accomplishing something and who knows if you find little Green Men/Wimmen out there maybe they have faster puters and you can talk them into joining the PC team! :p

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madams @ Mar 29 2007, 02:45 PM) [snapback]414481[/snapback]</div>
    Could you provide a link, please?

Wildkow

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 30 2007, 01:29 AM) [snapback]414694[/snapback]</div>
    I believe at one point, Folding@Home was trying to have a BOINC-compatible client, but I am not sure if that relationship is still there or not. Folding was trying to leverage some of the folks that preferred BOINC over separate stand-alone clients. If this relationship no longer exists, then maybe that is what madams was referring to as 'discontinued,' meaning that BOINC doesn't support Folding anymore.

For future reference, if you believe there to be a server connection issue, here is link to Stanford's Folding@Home server status page: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/serverstat.html

----
    On another note, looks like we have 3 PS3's contributing to the team now....

16. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Mar 30 2007, 05:13 AM) [snapback]414763[/snapback]</div>
    I couldn't help myself. It's not actually like I have time to play games on my PS3.

17. madams

madams New Member

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page (read link) you'll see what I am talking about. It says folding@home is retired.

http://boinc.netsoft-online.com/

18. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madams @ Mar 30 2007, 10:35 AM) [snapback]414847[/snapback]</div>
    They should have clarified it as retired from BOINC and not just plain retired because I could see where that would be misleading. With only 106 users of this BOINC client for Folding at home, I'm not surprised that they retired it.

But F@H is alive and well picking up steam thanks to all the attention from the sony PS3 having a client for it. My PS3 has just been cranking through work units for the past few days.

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, i now have 3 computers that can not connect. oh well. this was fun while it lasted...one more and im out of the game i guess

*edit*

well checked my log and all three are trying to get a WU from the same server and the server only has one unit to give and apparently its not giving it up. several other servers have tens of thousands of units. so how do i change my server?

20. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Mar 31 2007, 12:12 PM) [snapback]415495[/snapback]</div>
    Mine seems to connect to a different servers all the time each time. I just started this week and haven't hit a failure to get work yet. I'm not sure how to get the olg on my PS3 but my desktop has his the following 3 ip's this week:

171.64.65.58, 171.65.103.160, 171.64.122.136