1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ANyone replaced the plastic rocker panels -prius v 2013

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pvee, Jun 20, 2019.

1. pvee

pvee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I scraped the lower right side mostly the rocker panel but bottom of the doors a little.
    If I replace the rocker panel, can I reuse the hardware that holds them on.

If I decide to patch and paint it, is there a better patch material for plastic, other than bondo like I would normally use on metal?

Pete

2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The least expensive method is to just cover the black plastic substrate with brush on touch up paint, which enough can be has on ebay for $6 delivered. It would make the scratches less noticeable from a distance.

Spending $300-500 on a replacement that needs to be refinished and painted for a 6 year old car would be false economy.

Refinishing the rocker cover would cost at least $300 or so at a body shop.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Post some pictures?

I like to pull stuff off, but never succeeded with the (probably similar) plastic rocker panels on ours. Looking at ours: it's a very "busy" design, many different fastener types, some of them failing. Also, there's a lot of odd little inset panels, prone to bending/deflecting.

Not sure why it's so complex, seems like some little backwater of designers with too much time on their hands?

Anyway, the lower down it is, and as long as it's not in danger of falling off or dragging, I wouldn't get too excited about it. Maybe a little satin-black Dupli-Color spray?

For the door scrapes, get a touch-up brush in matching color (either Toyota OEM or something like Dupli-Color. I'm liking the latter now). If it's just the very bottom edges it's very easy to do a good job.

4. pvee

pvee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I am late posting this. Had heart issues and forgot about it.
    I patched, heated and reformed, and painted it with autozone touch up paint and it is not obvious to the casual observer. My wife.!

Mendel Leisk likes this.