1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone tried installing a TACHOMETER YET?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by turnerdhr, Jul 15, 2009.

1. turnerdhr

turnerdhr HellaFlush(TM) Prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was looking at the DEFI tachs... anyone installed one yet? or The APEXI RSM.... It will look very nice in the Prius... .... any comments?

Apexi RSM-GP Rev/Speed Meter

Defi - BF Tachometer

2. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    well, thats very nice looking but i might suggest a scan guage II. it comes with many guages built in. i use the tach myself as well as water temp mph etc. its 159 to 169 dollars. by far the best guage investment ive made. have had it in about 5 different cars. its great.

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Definatly endorse the Scan Guage option. Much more usefull than just the tach alone.!!!
    You need more info, you can daisy chain 2 and monitor 8 different parameters.

4. turnerdhr

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK... wow... ScanGuageII looks useful.. but how easy is it to install and i am especially concerned with the wiring... does it come with an easy harness to hook up to the PRIUS? Also, by any chance, does anyone have pictures of their installation process? as you can see, i am concerned with the install. Where did you guys mount it? did it come with all necessary wiring or did you have to get additional supplies from a DIY shop?

5. turnerdhr

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK... wow... ScanGuageII looks useful.. but how easy is it to install and i am especially concerned with the wiring... does it come with an easy harness to hook up to the PRIUS? Also, by any chance, does anyone have pictures of their installation process? as you can see, i am concerned with the install. Where did you guys mount it? did it come with all necessary wiring or did you have to get additional supplies from a DIY shop?

6. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    wiring!!! i dont need no stinking wiring! it just plugs into the ob whatever, the connection under the dash where they check for emissions, just look up scan guage II , its a sponsor here. also on my pics of smiling red i have a pic.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't know the price of the 2nd tach but for the price of the first, you're far better off spending less money and buying a ScanGauge II. Besides the built in gauges (http://www.scangauge.com/features/), you can also view all the values in the Prius section of http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11742.

FGP is correct. It just plugs right into the OBD-II port under the driver's side dash, to the right of the steering wheel.

8. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look up the scangauge in the pc shop above. Then also look at the proclip centre mount that some of us use to hold our cell phones. I made a little bracket with a small piece of angle aluminium and attached that to the proclip to the left of my cell phone. Puts the sg right above my right hand's knuckles. The wire goes down just to the left of the centre cluster stuff and tucks in near my right foot then to the obd connector that's right there.

9. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some day I'll figure out how to post pictures on here so I don't have to be all wordy like the post above.

10. turnerdhr

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A