1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone trying the Nokian WR G4?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Lightning Racer, May 5, 2018.

1. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like the perfect tire for me on paper, at least. It's an all weather (as opposed to all season) tire with the 3 peak mountain/snowflake rating and winter tire like performance in winter. The rating also makes it legal for winter driving in Canada if I need to do that. It also claimed to be low rolling resistance, quiet, and has a 60,000 mile treadwear rating. It came out just this year, and I'm finally seeing some user reviews, including from a 2018 Leaf owner who initial experience is that it's more efficient than their stock tires:

Nokian WR G4 - All-Weather tire / Nokian Tires

I'm running my Avid Ascends down to the bars and will probably go with these before next winter if further reviews are as good.

2. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    You can't have both good winter AND summer performance. Not to mention lrr

A tyre is either soft = good for winter when it will get tougher
    Or hard = good for summer when heat will soften it

Of course we also have tyres that are no good neither in summer or winter. And that is the all weather tyre ( or rather NO weather tyre)

3. Lightning Racer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm aware of the traditional divide between winter and summer tires, and I'm aware of and understand the reasons (I'm an engineer and scientist). Some of the previous WR tires have had unusual abilities for combining summer and winter performance. Nokian pioneered the all weather tire category with the WR tires, and I'm not aware of any other tires in the category. So I don't know how you can generalize that all weather tires are no good. That's usually reserved for describing all season tires not being actually good in real winter conditions. Check out reviews of the WR G2, two generations prior to the WR G4. The WR G3 had reviews that generally said it wasn't as good as the WR G2 in winter traction. I think the WR G4 is the first of the WRs to also claim low rolling resistance.

Nokian is known for great winter tires. They seem to have added long life, quietness, and low rolling resistance to winter ability, all testable as to whether or not they are true. I know that no tire can be a great winter tire and a great, sticky autocross/race tire. I'm driving a Prius, and though I'm not constantly hypermiling, I drive with efficiency in mind, so if some ultimate summer traction is compromised, that's OK.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I used Nokian WRG2 (earlier all-weather tire) as a snow tire on separate rims, with a previous car. Not the same tire, but fwiw:

1. Better winter traction than all-seasons, for sure, but a notch down from dedicated snow tires.
    2. Does impose mpg penalty, maybe 10%.
    3. A little noisy, overly firm, not bad though.
    4. I only used them through winter, but suspect they would wear fast, used year 'round.

5. Lightning Racer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did end up getting these last October, and ran them in New Hampshire before driving across Canada to Alaska in late January.

1. Better winter traction than all seasons. Not sure how they compare to winters without a direction comparison. Worked going up 15% grade driveway in an inch of snow, but much more than that it got stuck. That's pretty steep though. Confident winter driving across Canada in the winter, mixed snow and ice in NH.
    2. Lived up to the low rolling resistance claim. Matched the mpg on the dash to the worn-to-the-bars low rolling resistance Yokohama Avid Ascends on the day of the tire change, similar elevations at both ends, no wind, 57 mpg on both sets. Considering a slight rolling radius change to larger with the switch, probably slightly better than the Ascends.
    3. Quiet as claimed ("Silent Sidewall Technology"), good/soft ride, drove and handled well as far as I could tell considering I wasn't autocrossing or anything.
    4. Long term wear unknown, and I can't test it anymore since I don't have the Prius anymore. Treadwell rating was 500, which would be comparable to other Nokians only.

It kind of has a magical combination of attributes that don't usually aren't found in one tire. I'll get it or its successor again for my Subaru when the winter tires I'm running year round wear out.

Threej and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Matthew Moniz

Matthew Moniz New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    As Mendel said, I went through a few sets of the WRG2 on my '13 Prius. I saw a bit more than the 10% mileage hit (closer to 15%) but the tires simply didn't last as year-round options in New England. They were decent in the snow but not great and, when driving year round, I would only get about 30k miles on them before they started to run low on tread.

I've switched to dedicated snow tires in the winter and LRR for the rest of the year. The cost of an extra set of rims was worth it to make changing over easy.

Ajrob671 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I'm getting a set of WR G4's installed on Monday to replace my 6 year old WR G3's

The tires have been fantastic for me letting me navigate Vancouver Snowmageddon with ease and confidence. No need to fiddle around trying to disable traction control on my 2010... like I had to do with Michelin X Ice II dedicated winters. No more hassle and added costs of having 2 sets of tires.
    After 6 years of use, my tread left is 50% and performance has remained the same over the years. They have never needed to be rebalanced, never got a flat, like the several I had to endure with the hem Bridgestone Ecopia tires.
    I'm a believer in being safe, after about 6 years you should swap out your tires before they are worn out or become to old for highway trips at speed loaded down in hot summer weather.
    From what I've read, compared to my WR G3's the WR G4's should be equally excellent and perhaps better in some ways, including a longer warranty and life due to compound improvements. Can't say that I am going to wear them out prior to the 110,000 km warranty period as I'm retired driving less than in years past, but I highly recommend these tires based upon my previous experience and even in areas with more winter weather than I typically endure in the GVA, or greater Vancouver area. Keep in mind we have a very hilly mountainous Environment that is more challenging when those arctic outflows and pacific storms conspire to shut down traffic of all kinds.
    I had no issues driving around and with SUV's and other cars that could not proceed this past week. Have to include a few Teslas's in that comment, not sure what is wrong with most of them being heavier than my Prius and having AWD, but it is what it is.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think you're saying the WRG3 have better snow traction than XIce II? The WR's are an "all-weather" tire, a balance between snow tires and all seasons, A good one-tire solution for winter, but I don't think they would best the XIce. (n)

Too, you're disabling traction control, by setting the car in a maintenance mode? That's not recommended by Toyota. :confused:

Look forward to the review. :)

9. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Having had both X Ice 2 and the WR G 3's on my Prius I can honestly say that traction, both braking and getting going would always be better with the Nokians.. I'm aware the upgrade to X Ice 3 was widely reported to have been very beneficial, however I never tried them as I made my my up to change from dedicated winter and all season tires to an All Weather tire, and in 2014 when I did that, the Nokians were regarded highly.
    I found that indeed they were right up there with high end dedicated winter tires and seemed to be a jack of all trades, and master of all.
    I only learned how to get the car into maintenance mode to defeat traction control because I could not move away from my garage, slight slope, not being able to move an inch either forwards or reverse. That was with the Michelins on. I used the shovel, and covered the whole area with salt and went away to wait.
    The Nokians also bested the Michelins on my car in terms of directional stability, and rarely would cause the rotation on low surface traction that would occur with the Michelins. So no stability control and seldom needed traction control to activate using the Nokians.
    Since then, I'm sure the X Ice 2's are long discontinued, and I had purchased them based upon glowing reviews back in the day. Today I would look to them for their new All Weather tire, Climate something?, possibly the Toyo All Weathers, but I'm now happy to go with Nokians again for another 6 years of all year use.
    Monday, January 20th. is supposed to be much warmer for us here, likely with tons of rain with water pooling and possibly slushy freezing roads in the evenings when I come home.
    So not very challenging conditions for the new WR G 4's, so don't anticipate being able to make any kind of review based upon not having to cope with black ice, snow over Ice, and generally the worst of what we can experience here in the Lower Mainland.

Had I kept up with the summer/winter sets of tires I'd of course have to look at retiring them with even more tread life on them after 6 years of seasonal only use. I add that waste to the costs of 2 sets of tires rims and for some tpms reprogramming for those so inclined to avoid a piece of black electrical tape over the light if they don't. Myself, I used the same set of rims, less costly short term, but rebalancing, change over or mounting costs, not to mention possible damage to the tire beads or rims themselves adds up when done fall and spring.

You can find reviews on the web of these tires to read as did I, and from people who use them where winter is a real thing that is more regular in terms of ice and snow than we encounter. Perhaps they don'y have to cope with our topography, or seemingly limited fleet of snow removal equipment and regional response levels that vary. Still, it tends to be the case that it is wet and cold enough here pretty much all winter long to have softer rubber on, and the WR G3 and 4's are soft and flexible to the touch just like a dedicated winter tire. Thankfully they can take extreme summer heat and perform just as well as high end all season tires can do in warm weather but with surprising levels of precision for what are essentially winter tires that have been modified to be driven all year without damage. I think they are rated as 500 AA... just as you'd see with a long life all season.

I'll post back when I get properly bad weather to impress or disappoint myself as the results dictate in the coming months or years.

RMB and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Coots

Coots Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    In for more reviews and mileage info with these tires.

11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bottom line is, how much can you afford, and which brand do YOU like.
    You will find good and bad with each tire for each user.
    There are many good options. Pick one, then go from there.
    When I purchased my Prius, it had the Bridgestone ECO's, that were about to the wear limit.
    I go the continentals because of price and mpg. But they were noisey.
    I got the cooper, because of price, it's what I could afford at the time. They were suppose to be
    good on MPG's, but I've lost 4-5 mpg. But they are a LOT quieter. And handling in dry and wet
    weather is about the same. Maybe a little more softer ride.