1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

anyone upgrade their tires ?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by galacticenergy, Aug 23, 2016.

1. galacticenergy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    has anyone upgraded their OEM tires to something else that can handle the road noise?
    whats the verdict on the nanoenergy tires the cars come with, are they considered good tires?

is their a consensus tire that is the best tire for 4 gen prius?

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  2. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'll be following this thread. I don't know that anything can be done about the road noise other than a serious attack on the sound insulation. But different tires? That's a good stab in the dark. I'm open.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  3. Fanatic

Fanatic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have no issue or complaints with the tires. After commuting on motorcycles for the past couple of years, and using a heavy-load work truck which rattles with every minor crack of the pavement, the Prius is pure heaven with its tires and all.

On a side note, I'd rather stick with the OEM tires which the manufacturer specified for this particular car and with all of its research with its efficiency and design - tires are a huge part of the design on the Prius, and I'm not going to doubt them on their choice.

ETP and Coast Cruiser like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Seems like a big expense with very minor upside, at best. Just use them.

ETP, Coast Cruiser and Fanatic like this.
  5. Scuderia Priusi

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't know about a consensus on this site, but IBMOAE (in both my opinion and experience)...go with Michelins. State of the art tire engineering, patented build processes, multi-compounding, the works. Yes, you pay a premium, but just one of the benefits is that they run quieter than most any stock tire they replace.

2016 Toyota Prius tires | Michelin
    (don't freak on the prices as shown, their street prices run lower than those on the Michelin site)​

If price is secondary to performance:
    • If you use summer-only tires (meaning, it doesn't get down to below 37F whenever you drive), then the Primacy HP is top-notch.
    • If you want/need an all-season tire, then the Pilot Sport AS 3 Plus work great. These are recommended, I'm running these my Gen 4, my wife's Matrix, and had them on my previous car, it's optimal for here in the NW.
    The Energy Saver series are more affordable, albeit limited (a bit less traction, a bit more noise).

Tire for tire, pretty much any of these will be quieter than the stock rubber, and grip better. That's why they get, and are worth, the premium...

#5 Scuderia Priusi, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  6. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What noise.... I do not hear any noise in my Prius Three. ;)

<<< and look at those EARS!

(My earplugs fit great in those big long ears. I am now at peace. I can no longer hear my crazy noisy Toyo tires.)

7. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not saying Michelin is a bad tire. I bought very expensive Michelin tires for both my Camrys, and they handled well, and braked well, and did well in rain... but they were not any quieter than the stock factory tires they replaced.

I don't blame the tires, maybe only slightly. I am disappointed in Toyota for their inadequate sound insulation. And my Gen4 Prius is just as bad.

8. Scuderia Priusi

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They aren't a panacea, true, but in addition to the other positives you mention they do run at least a little quieter (in my experience). Along these lines, I've done some noise-tracking in the gen 4. My conclusion is the dominant source of cabin road noise is coming from the rear doors and rear wheel wells/arches. Installation of a layer of decoupling foam and then topped with a layer of mass-loaded vinyl, will help this tremendously. Of course, adding this will also add weight, the mortal enemy of fuel mileage. I believe this sound-deadening was deliberately omitted from these areas by Toyota, so they could hit their overall weight target (and thus mileage target), so in turn they can use that 50+ mpg to boost their Corporate Average Fuel Economy number, which then means they can sell more high-margin high-profit fuel-$ucking Tundras and Highlanders before gov't penalties apply.

It's all about the money, you see. You want a quiet ride? Buy a Lexus, or do it yourself as described above - either way, you pay. Don't blame me, that's just how it's done these days.

raspy likes this.
  9. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did it myself in the spare tire well. Added some nice sound-deadening material. But I'm not about to start yanking off door panels.... it's much easier to just gripe about it. ;) (And wear earplugs on the freeway.)

I'm not concerned about MPG's. (Or even more weight.) Anything over 40, and I'm happy.

10. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Spot on, you win the trophy today.

Fanatic likes this.
  11. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Tires are perfect. You will be hard pressed to find better and why would you bother until they are slam wore out???????? Tire Rack sells OEM/MIJs if you can't fine them anywhere else.

Rizzo the rat says they taste good too.

12. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "On a side note, I'd rather stick with the OEM tires which the manufacturer specified for this particular car and with all of its research with its efficiency and design - tires are a huge part of the design on the Prius, and I'm not going to doubt them on their choice."

When I was shopping for a new Prius, first the Gen3 and eventually the Gen 4, I was curious as to why there were 5 different brands of tires installed on the Prius... and that was just the 15" tires.

On the Gen3, I saw a lot of Goodyear tires, and I think 2 other brands? And the 2016 Gen4 15" were Dunlop, Toyo, Bridgestone? Did Toyota just select the lowest bidders? (My Camry OEM tires never lasted more than 25,000 miles.)

Here's a link to one man's opinion about OEM tires:
    Earl Stewart On Cars: Why New Car Tires Wear Out So Fast

13. galacticenergy

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    that is why I ask, I just recenly had a flat and got a OEM tire installed by the tire/wheel protection I had, but was wondering if there was a consensus tire priuschat owners have said was the best tire. regardless, I am happy with my oem Toyo NanoEnergy tires because they are oem... and NanoEnergy sounds so cool

ETP likes this.
  14. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a Gen 2 Prius (I pick up my Gen 4 tomorrow). The OEM tires were HORRIBLE. Very low traction. Terrible handling.

I replaced them with Michelin X Radials (replaced by the Defender) and loved the new tires. On another vehicle, I ran Defenders for 50K miles and loved those.

I intend to try to live with the OEM tires until they wear out. But, if they are slippery, I'm going with Michelin Defenders.

15. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    They are alI MIJ

16. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Mine lasted until I traded for two cars 62k

17. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Have no experience with that brand

18. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the same "Nanoenergy" tires. It's not a bad tire. Seem to handle ok, but I have not driven in the rain yet.

I think the wear rating is (only) 280 or so? I too, will drive with the OEM tires until they are pretty worn. I have no idea what to buy when I need new tires... the recommendations are all over the map.

One good thing about the 15" tires, is they are usually much less expensive than the 17's I had in the past. And I'm all about conserving money in retirement.

19. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here, here. Another reason to shy away from the touring version. It is odd though. There is more "tire" in the 15" version, no?

20. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good question, Miss Michelle. I'm not sure.

Somebody posted some test results, skid-pad results, and if I recall correctly the 15" tires actually performed a bit better. They are fine for my conservative driving needs... (and the occasional 94mph jaunt.)