1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone use Amsoil Dominator Coolant Boost?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Samuraidog, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Samuraidog

Samuraidog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wondering if anyone here has used the Amsoil Dominator Coolant Boost in their gen 2 Prius. It claims faster warmup times. That would make my wife happy.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Most marketing claims are just LIES.
    This one smells like a dead fish to me.

Some "coolant boost" products can actually cause the engine to run cooler than the design intent, which can cause sludge buildup and oil contamination from condensation.

3. Samuraidog

Samuraidog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is what I figured, but thought I'd find out whether all the glowing reviews online are legitimate.
    The claim is faster warmup time and lower average temperature by about 10 degrees. Many of the online reviews back this up. However, as we all know, reviews these days need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Thanks for your feedback.

4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Like the lure of long life oil that continue to circulate carbon and burned fuel additive residue as well as abrasive detritus, nothing is better than just changing coolant. Residue and depleted additive remnants are gone with draining. Refill with new coolant is not as good as new. It is new.

No amount of additives equal new coolant.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like Redline Water Wetter. Use it in both rad and inverter coolant.

6. ScoopnPilchard

ScoopnPilchard New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do your research before spewing nonsense. Amsoil Dominator Coolant Boost contains 3 surfactants that work at different operating temperatures. Most coolants or additives only contain 1 surfactant that only reduces water tension at high temperatures. Dominator reduces water tension throughout all operating temperatures; cold to very hot. Water tension causes micro bubbles which contain air and insulates, preventing/reducing heat transfer. Surfactants reduce water tension and allow the coolant to do what it's intended to do; transfer heat. With cold temperature surfactants, the coolant is able to disperse the hot spots of an engines heat through the engine evenly. This also means the cabin heater will provide heat much sooner. There should be less hot spots in the engine and more even heat transfer. This would probably resolve/help prevent the notorious 3rd gen Prius head gasket issue.

The boost also contains many corrosion additives. Per some independent study it appears to have much better anti corrosion when compared to water wetter. Google Dominator Coolant Booster vs Water wetter.

A proper working thermostat will prevent an engine from cooling down more than it should. It opens and closes the engines "radiator cooling circuit" to keep the engine at usually about 200°.

Surfactants make coolant effective at heat transfer. Having surfactants to cover all operating temps only makes sense and should provide an evenly/gradually warming engine . I can't imagine a downside. It's not magic, but simple science.

I am not an Amsoil dealer.

Cheers

Ben

#6 ScoopnPilchard, Jul 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
  7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    But you certainly have bought into their marketing hype.

Simple science fact:
    You do not NEED anything that is not included in the water/coolant mix
    for your street engine to operate properly. Nothing. NADA.