1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone use Michelin Defender Tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by eaglesight333, Oct 5, 2013.

1. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Been wanting to get new tires for my 2010 prius. But lost my job a year ago, so money has been tight and haven't really needed to do much driving.

I think I have put together enough money to make the purchase. Last year I had decided on Michelin Energy Saver A/S, since most reviews on them were good.

I just redid some of my research and have noticed that their rating has actually dropped some. But saw that Michelin Defender tires are very good, but supposedly don't quite have the MPG savings that the energy savers do.

Anyone have Michelin Defender tires? If so, how do you like them? Any significant MPG drop after the break-in period?

Thanks.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Over 20K miles on my set. About 48-49 mpg if you drive like a regular person with 80% frwy/20% city with traffic and no jack rabbits. Better MPG for the Energy Savers but better miles with the Defenders. I had the OEM Toyos that barely lasted 40K, the Defenders are far superior and better handling. Wear pattern/rate indicates they will make 90K. Can not speak first hand for the A/S but rated better than OEM as well. Based on upfront cost, MPG and lifetime mileage...the basic consensus is the cost is a wash. Both tires are good...some people like to brag about their MPG. some change their tires less often. Hope that helps.

2010 Toyota Prius Base Tires | Michelin Tires

3. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

I concur with all of the above, except my OEM Yokohamas lasted until 53K miles, which surprised me. I only have about 6K on my Defenders, so they're not fully broken in yet, so I accept the slight MPG hit (~3-4 MPG) in exchange for the increased tread life and (somewhat) better handling on wet/snow-covered roads. In any case, I'm still averaging 47-50 MPG (calculated).

4. michinnom

michinnom Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I think that the expectations for Energy Saver A/S is much higher than for Defenders which is a contributing factor to the overall ratings. These tires are not comparable as they are not in the same class. Defenders are ultra hard rubber compound while the ES has better design for less resistance when rolling. People who buy Defenders probably don't have much expectations in particular and its cheaper = more satisfied customers, especially when the tires don't claim to do much more than last 90k miles.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Bridgestone Ecopia EP20 are fairly cheap, decent tire, LRR, readily available through Costco and others. I think they pretty much only come in 195/65R15.

Bridgestone has a $70 off on set of 4 offer, maybe twice yearly. Costco will take the $70 off at time of purchase, as opposed to mail-in rebate at other places.