1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone using an oil other than 0w20?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by The Critic, Nov 23, 2012.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am nearing 50k and will be due for another LOF/rotate.

There were some commenters over on BITOG who were suggesting that I would see little or no difference in fuel economy with a 5w30 or 0w30 full-synthetic oil. Note that the manual does state that it is acceptable to use a higher-viscosity oil if the vehicle is operated at sustained high speeds or extreme load conditions, so there is some justification for my move to a higher-viscosity oil. Additionally, I may see some added protection since I do have a serious lead-foot problem.

Has anyone used 5w30 or 0w30 in their Gen III Prius? I am quite curious on what the fuel economy decrease was.

Thanks.

2. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I use 5W30 (Castrol Edge). Since the beginning in August, after first visit to Toyota station. Discussed the matter with the Toyota guy about it since I had spare stock of oil purchased previously for my minivan and my daughter's car . The idea was to use same grade for all three vehicles. The Toyota technician said that it is OK. I cannot compare with another (recommended grades as 0W20) yet. However the MPG is below my expectations. I also suffer of lead-foot and just learning the hybrid driving style. Considering switching to 0w20 - than I'll have the full picture. BTW - one fellow from Polish Toyota Forum advised me to use AMSOIL SIGNATURE SERIES 0W20. This brand is unknown in our (East European) market - however is available. Perhaps you guys from US are familiar with Amsoil product and can enlight me if i can go ahead with it?

3. Martholland

Martholland Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm using 5W30, there is no difference in Fuel consumption. The climate in The Netherlands is mild, and according to Toyota dealer, you can use this grade. The Dutch Toyota advises even that it is no problem to use 10w40.

4. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. What are the recommended viscosities for your region?

5. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    0w20 is the correct grade ..even the manual say you should go back to it asap! if you using other grade temporarily

there is a mpg difference of maybe 2-3mpg espeicially if not warmed up

6. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It becomes confusing of recommended grade, see two attached pages. One is from Gen III Manual downloaded from Toyota site, another one from Owner's Manual Gen II created by Prius Owners. Service card from my Toyota Station recommends 0W20. I believe I should not kill my engine by using 5W30 :)
    Let's go for further research - I hope in Prius Chat we'll find all answers - here is a huge amount of information...
    Just found quickly... Can I use 0w20 ?

Attached Files:

7. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    gen 111 0w20 simple as that

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are MANY well documented cases on here of users (me one of them) who suffered a noticeable drop in fuel economy as well as hesitation and performance issues when using 5w30 oil in a gen3 with the 1.8 engine.

It was so well noticeable that there is a dip on my fuelly stats for the two months where 5w30 was erroneously used. That was in the early days of the gen3 where some dealers here in the UK assumed that a different grade of oil wouldn't make a difference.

The gen3 2009- Prius should use 0w20 oil as recommended by Toyota. Other oils might work but you will not get the enhanced fuel economy - guaranteed (my experience and others show this. Also, why do the manufacturers recommend this rare and expensive oil if it wasn't required?). Why try to save £30/$50 on a 10,000 mile oil change on a £20,000/$30,000 car by using non recommended oils?

Each to their own I guess.

WE0H likes this.
  9. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, yes... I've just found the proper manual page (previously downloaded docs for GenII by mistake).
    No more doubts then :)

Attached Files:

WE0H likes this.
  10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Total BS. If you read Australian manual for the same 3rd gen Prius, oils between 0W20 and 20W50 are OK.

Of course oW20 will produce best MPG from all the choices.

TwoUnderPar likes this.
  11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nobody is saying 5w30 oil will damage the Prius, BUT it will destroy the great mpg's the Prius achieves. I believe great mpg's is the reason people buy the Prius.

You could put off road wheels on a Ferrari and it would drive, but you'd be destroying the very reason for the car, in the same way using anything other than 0w20 destroys the reason for the Prius. My mpg's in my Prius dropped from 70-75 mpg UK to about 50-55 mpgUK when 5w30 was inadvertantly used. If I'd wanted 50 mpg UK I'd have bought one of the many diesel offerings we have available and saved myself £5,000.

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a fairly wide range of actual viscosity in each SAE "viscosity" grade of oil. If you went from a typical 0W-20 to a 0W-30 that was on the thin side of the SAE 30 spec, you would have some a little more protection at high oil temperatures and a little less fuel economy. You might or might not notice the difference in fuel economy if you stick to the thin end of the 0W-30 spec.

Oil temperature is influenced by ambient temperature, so a 0W-20 would likely have a higher actual viscosity in what passes for cold weather in Northern California than 0W-30 in hot weather. The way you rack up miles, you might consider 0W-20 in the cool seasons and 0W-30 in the warm/hot seasons. There is no reason to use 5W-xx over 0W-xx as long as you are using a high quality synthetic in a non-race car.

Don't get caught up in the hysteria (I know you won't) about the mothership saying to only use 0W-20 in some countries. There is more viscosity difference between a thin 0W-20 and a thick 0W-20 than there is between a thick 0W-20 and a thin 0W-30.

anonymous likes this.
  13. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well Dutch Toyota doesn't own your car you do :)

My question is what does your manual says ??? Mine says this:

quote from page 564 2012 user manual (but my 2010 said the same)

"Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20.

SAE 0W-20 is the good choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.

If SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil change"

So you can either trust your car manufacturer or the sales department .. your choice. There is no significant difference in price. You change it every 10000 miles here in US (or a year) here 4.5 quart cost no more 40 dollar(on sale 25....) . Dealer ship charges about 6 dollar a quart for the toyota branded 0W-20 ... sometime you can buy Mobil-One cheaper. :)

WE0H likes this.
  14. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

that what my irish manual say same 0w-20

australian manual obviously different!.......so its BS in australia but not holland or ireland

SIMPLE SOLUTION IS read the ..... manual

WE0H likes this.
  15. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I can read too. My manual states a higher viscosity oil may be better for high-temp, high-speed conditions.

TwoUnderPar likes this.
  16. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Apparently Mobil germany states that the Gen III oil recs in that country are 5w-30:

TOYOTA

Modell
    Prius 1.8 VVTi (Hybrid)
    Year
    2009-

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30
    Motor (B) (2ZR-FXE)
    1. Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30
    2. Mobil Super 3000 Formula FE 5W-30
    Alternative : 0W-20; 5W-20

17. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm probably going to go with Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 Ext. Performance 5w-30. Haven't decided which yet, but the Costco promo gets me 6 qt or reg Mobil 1 for $27...versus 5 qt of Mobil 1 Ext. Perf for the same price.

The only difference I can find between the two, is that Mobil 1 Ext. Perf obviously has higher detergents (starting TBN is 9.3 vs low 8) for the longer 15k drain. There's not much to see in VOAs anymore due to the move to ashless, organic detergents.

Also, I noticed that the HT/HS of Mobil 1 Ext. Performance 5w-20 is 2.75. That's 10% higher than what the Toyota 0w-20 is.

18. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As do castrol in the UK. When I emailed them, they advised that they recommend 5w30 because they don't make a 0w20.

You may also find that some oil companies have made a mistake. Remember, the manufacturer knows their OWN vehicles and if they recommend something, then that's what it needs.

But we're all going round in circles in this thread.

Toyota recommend 0w20 in most markets. But it's your car, so put in it whatever makes you happy.

19. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not the free after rebate G-oil? I'm planning to use it when Prius warranty expires.

20. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Decided to go with M1 0w20. I spoke to a trusted friend who's a shop foreman at a very large Toyota dealership who said he has seen two Gen III Prius with driveability problems after using 5w30. He said that on one of the cars, it rattled excessively during cold start-up which was cured by replacing the oil with 0w20. He also mentioned that the higher-viscosity 5w30 would cause slower cranking, and the ECM is looking for a specific cranking speed and a difference may trigger a CEL or a no-start condition.

WE0H likes this.