1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone using double sided tape for attaching outside accesories?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mid jersey, Aug 15, 2012.

1. mid jersey

mid jersey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm looking to attach a front parking camera to my Prius. My initial idea was to stick it in the black plastic bumper below the front license plate using double sided tape.

I talked to a mechanic and he felt that that would not be a long term viable solution. (His suggestion was to drill a hole in the driver side front parking sensor insert and install it there). However, I've been reading up on 3M double sided acrylic foam tapes, and they they seem to be both reliable and used by a bunch of auto accessory manufacturers:

Bumper Molding & Accents

Does anyone have first hand experience in using this type of acrylic foam tape? I've scanned the forums, but there's no real discussion on the merits/demerits of specific double sided tapes. Can anyone shed light on this, or describe their experiences with double sided tape?

2. mrtremere

mrtremere Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used double sided 3m tape for a carbon fiber wing on my CLK500.
    The wing stays on at 132 miles per hour. I don't your going that fast.

But for the camera I would mount it as it COULD shift. user121793_pic17069_1298524208.jpg

3. mid jersey

mid jersey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's a pretty sharp looking spoiler! But I am not sure if I catch your drift. You are saying that double sided tape can grip a carbon fiber wing, but it may not hold a camera (50 grams) steady? Why?

4. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Minimally you should try to use 3M. If the tape bond not survives and camera hangs on the cable, there is always time to drill the hole(s).

5. mrtremere

mrtremere Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a little give on the wing, but for a camera I would secure it more firmly.
    I would be annoyed if the display wobbled while driving.

Got a link to the product and where are you mounting it?
    I've seen license plate mounted camera, it will be secure and hidden... if you have a front license.

6. k.s.c

k.s.c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've used double sided thick 3M tape (the really thick stuff) to hold on a front and rear camera. never had a problem with either. In fact, I once forgot about the camera when taking my bumper off and as I yanked my bumper off, the cable ripped out of the camera. The tape was that strong.

7. mid jersey

mid jersey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware of the give of the tape.

The listing for the front cam I bought is now closed, but there are dozens like it all over ebay:

360° CCD Car Vehicle Front / Side / Rear View Reverse Camera Universal Fit | eBay

Yup, New Jersey requires front license plates, so that would be another possibility. However, for me an ideal placement would be such that the camera does not protrude from the front of the car. Thats why I like the front black grill/bumper. Any black camera placed there would be totally invisible and would not protrude. But I dont want to drill that plastic, hence the search for a non drilling solution.

8. mid jersey

mid jersey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    3M makes many different automotive tapes. Do you remember which one you used? Was the front cam mounted on a plastic bumper? That is the type of install that I would like to do (front cam attached to Prius plastic bumper using 3M tape). Also, did you notice any play/wobble in the mounting which caused the front cam image to wobble, especially while driving over potholes?

9. mrtremere

mrtremere Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had Bumper Doctor in San Diego do it after a $100 detail.
    The cost was 2 six packs of beer. They used basic tape and an adhesive accelerator.

GoldPianoGarden likes this.
  10. mid jersey

mid jersey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was reading up on double sided tapes and came across these adhesion promoters. Apparently they are needed for those surfaces (including most plastics) which have low surface energy. They greatly enhance the bond obtained by just using the tape.

11. k.s.c

k.s.c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I do not remember the exact name. Here is what it looks like. or what is left of what I bought. I've used it to hold down a lot of exterior items (rear spoiler lips, a mustang gt front lip, side body moldings, a go pro camera mount on my cart) never fails.
    the roll is usually the size of a hockey puck

Attached Files:

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would try 3M Blue Putty. It holds my ScanGauge in place & held a Jag's side marker light. Completely removable.