1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone using Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 ( S.N. ) ? If so , hows' ...

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cinder, Jun 10, 2012.

1. cinder

cinder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    it doing for your engine ?

2. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I have a dealer service package until 60k so I am going to stay with Toyota 0W20. However, I am pretty sure any synthetic 0w20 is going to work fine in the 1NZ-FXE.

3. Iconn127

Iconn127 Master Diagnostic Technician

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    not a fan of pennzoil products. already bad enough rep they use parafin wax in their conventional. stick with toyota oil or mobil 1 imo

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've used it with A Civic Hybrid, works, no problems. But with Toyota selling their 0w20 for under $6 per liter, comparing to over $10 per US quart for Pennzoil, locally, I'll stick with Toyota brand.

5. strongbad

strongbad Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The basestocks used in conventional Pennzoil are refined from paraffinic crude (as are most other brands). Paraffinic crude is the highest quality crude for making lubricating oil because of the naturally high viscosity index.

The paraffins are removed (for the most part) in the refining process and in the hydrocracking process ( for "synthetic" oil) the long-chain hydrocarbons are further broken down to shorter-chain hydrocarbons.

6. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    PP is a great oil to use. I am a Mobil 1 fan so at 5k I will probably use their 0W20 for my C. But after that I am will be using Toyota 0W20 up to 60,000 miles since my service package covers oil changes up to that mileage.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP, I guess you got some pretty good answers in this thread and in your other thread:

Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 : Anyone here using / used it ? | PriusChat

I'm going to return the Mobil 1 I bought at WalMart and keep the Penzoil Platinum 0w-20 because it was $5 less, almost pays for the oil filter. It's going to stay in the car for less than the full 10K anyway, changing the oil out at 3K to 3.5K for it's first oil change, then it will be done by the dealer at 10K.

8. cinder

cinder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GEDC2143.JPG Went with the Platinum 0w-20 at $25 for the 5 quart jug . Seems fine in the 1.5 ltr. of the Honda Fit . Here's the Technical Data Sheet . Looks good on paper . No ?

mremaximus likes this.
  9. strongbad

strongbad Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's interesting that the NOACK volatility is lower for the 0W-20 than for the 5w-20 and 5w-30.

10. mremaximus

mremaximus "I can't wait to start hammering people" Bubbles

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I used it in my Honda fit as well, first change and on. People have great used oil analysis using penzoil synthetics.