1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone using Prolong for a long time?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by StephenJ, Sep 3, 2017.

1. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

For now, he still has it, I was thinking of getting it since it's a couple hundred dollars cheaper. I figure I can hang out on a Sunday afternoon a couple times a year and watch it.

So do you basically have to be there to shut it off once it runs out of juice? What would happen if it keeps running after the battery is completely deleted?

Do you guys speed up discharge by letting the car sit in "ready" and run down until purple then shut it down and use the discharger the rest of the way? I know it's different for different situations, but roughly how long does the discharge take?

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @jeff652 's instructions for the Prolong System specify that the first step is a charge and balance! (…and at no time during the procedure should the car's systems be switched "ON" (i.e. "READY") I have found the charging can take anything from 16 to 20 hours. The discharges take around 6 to 8 hours, but I've not tried any "force charging" or whatever! I've been using the Prolong System for around 2½ years and not seen any DTCs (so far). The average fuel consumption over the 3½ years I've owned the car is in the high 40s and the best tanks I've seen is 50+ and the best average journey (from the SC-II) is 61) - hope this helps - Wil

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Save your pennies (it is worth it;)).

The reconditioning process takes multiple days especially if going down to the deep discharge levels. You'll need more than a Sunday :(.

If not careful there is a risk of reverse charge, which will ruin your day. This risk is removed with using the Intelligent Discharger :). It has little leds in the unit which helps drop the charge. It also shuts off when you get to the desired set point (and if you have the audible alert enabled, it will tell you as well).

This is all done while the car is off. Never turn the car on during the process. Allow the battery cool once the last charge cycle has been done. I wait at least an hour. @jerrymildred told you his tale of turning the Prius on early.

Hope that helps(y).

jerrymildred and WilDavis like this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ditto to what @Raytheeagle and @WilDavis said. I'm OK with the bulbs, but I would dearly love to have the automatic discharger. The bulbs chain you to the car. Try to imagine the difference between making chair legs with a pocket knife against making them with a lathe. You can do it either way, but one way is a pita and the other is fun. For sure don't try shortcuts with the bulbs. That's a sure fire way to get parted from a pile of cash. Follow the directions from Prolong.

WilDavis and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A full reconditioning is a 3 cycle process where each cycle takes a day minimum with the light bulb method. I did them twice/year on longer holiday weekends (new years and july 4th).

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    These grid charger systems sound like a good idea. At a whopping $689, and with precious little (if any) scientific data that proves actual results, I'm leaning against the Prolong system. Probably better to spend it on a brand-spankin' new Toyota battery or trade up to a younger, used car.

#26 kenoarto, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    johnnyb588 likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got the charger because I had two cars to maintain. And the system I got was in the $400 range.

8. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How much did the used battery cost you?

9. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I understand the skepticism. A battery failure in the next year means a free replacement under warranty for me. If it was just me in the car and I wasn't using the car for such long trips with the family this summer I probably would have taken my chances. The battery charge was fluctuating rapidly, though, so it seemed the Prolong system was worth a shot. I've been happy with the results but I definitely don't have actual data to provide.

Without the long distance family travel I'd be right there with you. I most likely would have would have put the money toward a new battery.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You'd have to call Todd for current prices. (Home - Tampa Hybrids Inc.) They vary depending on the age of the donor car. I think 2015 is the newest he sells, but don't know if he has one that new in stock. Things may have changed, so you'd need to check with him for what's going on now. I don't know how you'd get it to Chicago, though. Last I knew, he didn't ship.

kenoarto likes this.
  11. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    When you say it was fluctuating rapidly, can you describe that? I'm trying to get a idea of a strong battery vs a weak battery.

12. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I noticed the rapid fluctuations on the first charge after the initial discharge. I was concerned, and so I put a call in to HA Customer Support, and they explained to me what I was seeing was perfectly normal, and later @jeff652 called to reassure me by explaining exactly what I was seeing. I made a quick video which shows the way the V and mA displays both flash all over the place until the voltage/charge gets higher. (…heads off to look for video (…watch this space)) ;)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzcfBeVdayh4bjItZ0hQaXBGclU

The more observant viewer will note that this was before @jeff652 supplied the MajikEkstenshunKord (charger was sitting in back of car (P.I.A) ;))

#32 WilDavis, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    His website says all his used batteries are grid charged and cycled 3 times and cost between $1200 - $2000 depending on age. So looks like even a good used one starts at $1200. I think I may get the value light bulb version of the charger. I may swap one of our other cars for a used 2012 Prius V...like you mentioned, with two cars then I'd have double the reason to have a Prolong (something similar).

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The battery could show six bars and blue when I started it in the morning; it would drop to the purple within a block and with no accessories on. The screen would go up and down quickly compared to our previous Prius that had the battery replaced under warranty. The car spent a lot of time in the purple going up some hills where it should not have dropped that far. It also seemed to charge into the green far too quickly and often.

It's not something I can really quantify for you. It's more something you notice and get a feel for with experience.

15. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What I noticed on our 2010 Prius II was that while sitting in traffic I would only get about a 1/2 mile before the engine would kick on. I would be at 6 bars when I started, but then drop to 2 bars. When our Prius was lower miles, I could easily get a mile or so on the battery before the engine would kick in.

After doing just a simple top end balance, I noticed improvement :). I was able to get about a mile on the battery again:D. After doing the 2 cycle discharge (first to 134 volts then second down to 84 volts), I can now go over a mile on the battery:).

I am a chemical engineer by education and trained to use data for decision making (now I am in managerial roles so I ask others for data ;)). But sometimes empirical data is hard to come by. I saw enough and trusted my gut instinct and took the plunge. I can maintain a gas engine, but my knowledge of how to maintain batteries is low.

Save your pennies for the Intelligent Discharger ;). There is no need to tether yourself to the car for an entire weekend. With a wife and 2 kids, I am busy:(. But being able to leave the Prius and come back whenever has built in peace of mind and flexibility ;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now there's a devious plan to justify the charger. Get another Prius. LOL! You think like I do. :D

On the bulb vs automatic discharge, I wouldn't say that getting the bulb one is necessarily a bad idea. It'll work. And after a while, you'll probably be like me and planning to get the automatic one asap. (Although I'll wait till I get back to charging in a year or two if no texters destroy the car first.)

#36 jerrymildred, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    StephenJ and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

So the charger you have is the one sold in the Priuschat store, correct? How does it compare to the Prolong charger? Does it only charge but not do the discharging? There isn't much info about it in the store.

18. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My charger is one of the original design, and when I purchased the charger (yes, it only charges) (along with the light-bulb discharger) back in early 2014, it was the only type available. As mentioned in previous threads, the light-bulb discharger required constant monitoring, and was to put it mildly, a PIA, so it didn't take long (about 6 months if my memory is correct) for me to decide to save up and get an Intelligent Discharger. That, and the MajikEkstenshunKord has made the process far easier, and I've done several complete re-conditionings (3 discharges, 4 charge/balances) as well as a few "quickies" (20+ hour charge/balances). (see threads passim for results and improvements). As far as I know, the old chargers sold in Ye Olde PriusChatte Shoppe are similar to the old charger I bought direct from Hybrid Systems. The "new look" (pie-shaped) chargers from HA are just the same electronics repackaged (@jeff652 will correct me on this?), and the new Intelligent Discharger is easier to operate than the original Intel. Discharger like the one wot I have ;). - hope this helps - Wil
    PS: my offer to share my systems with any other Gen II owners in my locale (see threads passim) is still on! ;)(y)

#38 WilDavis, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  19. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Who is making the ones in the Priuschat store? Is it a name brand? Or maybe just selling the old HA stock that they had left over after redesigning?

20. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I share one in my locale:).

It cuts the cost in half(y).

kenoarto and WilDavis like this.