1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone using the OEM Toyota HV battery filter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Aegean, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I was wondering what is your long term experience with the OEM Toyota traction battery filter G92DH-47020. Does it really keep the fan and the battery case cleaner and reduces the fan cleaning interval?

I have not used a filter in the past 15 years I own my gen 2 but I cleaned the battery fan a couple of times. I noticed that now Toyota is adding this filter with 2004-2009 hybrid battery replacements plus they use an HV battery filter in all late hybrid models. I assume that they had a lot of premature batteries failing from inadequate cooling due to dirty fans and battery cases.

https://parts.longotoyotaofprosper.com/oem-parts/toyota-filter-hv-battery-i-g92dh47020?origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_fiLBhDOARIsAF4khR3b9ZUcGpPxWEgDj_wx8pbGbALsWsaly1t9fa2V2zu2BkiDd-PNwSwaApS8EALw_wcB

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s very interesting. Where exactly does the filter go?

3. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It goes in the air intake on the passenger side of the back seat next to the door. I don’t have one myself, and didn’t know Toyota made one. But now that there’s a link, I think I’ll get one!

4. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’m in for one too now that I know of it. Odd Toyota is silent on it.

5. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    443A597B-A11F-4442-B738-AD369AC4F4F1.jpeg

I installed the OEM Toyota traction battery filter G92DH-47020 today. It is well designed and just snaps on without any tools. We will see if Toyota designed it right and how well it works in a couple of years.

Another likes this.
  6. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Service bulletin for G92DH-47020 battery filter. 2004-2009.

Some 2004 – 2009 model year Prius vehicles may exhibit a MIL ON condition with Diagnostic
    Trouble Code (DTC) P0A80 or P0A7F stored due to dust or debris buildup in the HV battery
    cooling fan. Follow the Repair Procedure in this bulletin to address this condition.

Attached Files:

Aegean likes this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    All I'll skip that I clean mine and check it more often than not and I never find anything in there The fan is white so when it gets yucky and dirty the impeller will become brown and look really bad I've never seen the Gen 2 with the ductwork clogged or even any color other than black inside of that ductwork both pieces are always more or less whistle clean seems to me the build up will be right there where people's arms and jackets are brushing up against that intake filter or little smaller pieces will get through that and go right through the battery and get sucked up into the fan won't pass through the fan will probably be stopped by the fan and stay in the fan so best just to clean the fan out every few years just to do it only takes a second a few minutes literally and then you need nothing anywhere else in the system

SM-A715F ?

8. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

Check out how dirty my cooling fan was after 78k miles! The filter might be nice in my case

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The filter at the inlet will have limited efficacy. I put something similar (window screen material) behind the inlet grill on our 2010, but (like the Toyota filter) it's just a coarse screen. It'll catch a bit but it's not going to make a big difference. It's sorta canary-in-the-coal-mine, ie: if the screen at the inlet is looking dust, the fan and ductwork leading to it likely is getting dust too.

Anyways, I would look on this coarse-grid inlet screen as "solution" for fan dusting up. It could actually be risky, if it was extremely effective, might reduce air flow too much.

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My 2010 needed a battery the minute I got it upon pulling the battery the fan was dirty as all get out it looked like hell The new battery that I got from the junkyard from a 2015 was near no miles on it for $700 came with the fan that looked brand new whistle clean and white so I put the new fan and the new battery to me together in the car The ductwork was clean the seat vent looked okay but the fan looked like h e l l

SM-A715F ?

11. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I believe the Toyota battery filter will be effective mostly with hair and less with dust. Every time I have cleaned the fan there is the usual sticking dust on the fan blades but also a lot of hair especially the lower half of the blades. I hope the filter will eliminate some of this.

I hope the Toyota engineers have done some testing on the size of the filter grid and came up with the optimum size for air flow and protection. It appears they use the same grid size on the hybrid filters for other models.

12. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Mine is on order. I figured why not try it.