1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone willing to be interviewed?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Chrismedia, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Chrismedia

Chrismedia New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    My name is Chris and I am a journalist working on a story about the so-far slow sales of the new fourth-gen Prius. I would like to speak with folks who have purchased the new Prius as well as those, who for whatever reason, have decided not to.

I am hoping to do interviews in the next 24 hours (I am in Michigan and on Eastern time). If anyone would like to speak to me, please start a conversation and send me your contact information.

Thank you,
    Chris

2. DBLXX

DBLXX Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I would think sales are "slow" because more and more manufacturers are offering Hybrids....and not only cars.

Trucks, 4X4's, CUV, SUV, FSUV, Luxury.....where back in the "sales are great" days - there were 3 at most.

Plus - Gas is like a buck ninety nine where I live.

I bought one - (a hybrid and Toyota for that matter) for the very first time because it looked cool, it was affordable, has a great repair record, longevity record, and I got a few extra MPG's too.

KimPrius3 likes this.
  3. DBLXX

DBLXX Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    In my eyes.....a very good looking daily driver >>>

[​IMG]

Although my weekend play car makes up for my smaller weekday driver carbon foot print >>>

[​IMG]

tpenny67 and breakfast like this.
  4. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    For which publication or organization would you be writing your story?

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am trying to be fair, but 'automotive journalists' have spread so much misinformation about the Prius. (For reasons inexplicable to me, they particularly misunderstand the B mode.) The last time 'journalists from Michigan' visited they were paid by GM, one can hope this time is better, but I would sure want to verify their ID. Google the paper they claim to be from and call their published phone number at least, see if someone by that name works there.

Since car buyers seem to have the same long term memory as goldfish, any dip in gas prices is a dip in Hybrids sales.

My cargo needs limit me to the Prius v, (my profile picture shows trying to carry everything in a Gen 2) should Toyota release a plug in v or a second generation v, then I am in the car market. Similarly, a station wagon Volt would perk up my interest, but it is a small market. And frankly, if someone builds a non-hybrid station wagon/van that gets 40 MPG I am interested.

#5 JimboPalmer, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  6. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I may be interested, and others as well. But we'd like to know what publication and/or website you're with.

KimPrius3 and pakitt like this.
  7. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am in Germany, but would like to know as well. And if authoritative source I wouldn't mind giving my opinion. If of any interest.

KimPrius3 likes this.
  8. Chrismedia

Chrismedia New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I write for WardsAuto, an industry-trade publisher that dates back to the 1920s. I've been covering Toyota for more than a decade.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In North America, gas prices have been comparatively low, and relatively stable.
    I think that always hinders Hybrid popularity.

You're not going to get that potentially new, or fringe perspective buyer that will look at a Hybrid because gas prices are starting to hurt his/her pocketbook.

I think "success" is relative here. Sales may be slow, but among buyers, the feedback has been very positive.
    What I remember is the transition from Gen 2 to Gen 3, was huge. Honda was nearly simultaneously releasing the "New' Insight. Months of build up, and quite a huge jump in refinement and technology. IMO.

There might be as much difference and evolution between Gen 3 and Gen 4, but it continues to be primarily in the looks and refinement department. Which is somewhat polarizing.

Gen 2 to Gen 3 represented some fundamental changes, such as replacement of the Cooling Thermos with a Heat Reclamation System, and the loss of a sometimes problematic fuel bladder with a 'regular" gas tank.
    Also, fans of Prius, seemed poised, ready and hungry for The Gen 3. I never felt that level of excitement build up for The Gen 4. Maybe it's because the Icon, Gen 2, had nearly a decade long run, and had established itself and Prius. There were so many rumors and hopeful excitement surrounding what the Gen 3 Prius would be...

Toyota has continued to evolve, the suspension in the Gen 4, IMO being one of the biggest moves forward. But perhaps this evolution is on the surface, not as groundbreaking as between Gen 2 and Gen 3?

Also, I think like myself, a lot of Gen 3 Prius owners are still happy with their perfectly good Gen 3 Prius. While I like the Gen 4, and believe it is a significantly better machine, I'm not ready to make the change. Give me a few years? And I'm sure I'll be looking at Gen 4 Prius.

10. Chrismedia

Chrismedia New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all. I just spoke to an analyst who said the styling of the Gen4 Prius sedan is a turnoff, especially when you compare it to the Tesla Model S and other green cars that are sleeker and sexier. Do any of you feel the same?

11. Chrismedia

Chrismedia New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The Electric Me, may I quote you on this portion of your reply:

"Also, I think like myself, a lot of Gen 3 Prius owners are still happy with their perfectly good Gen 3 Prius. While I like the Gen 4, and believe it is a significantly better machine, I'm not ready to make the change. Give me a few years? And I'm sure I'll be looking at Gen 4 Prius."

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I have to change my mind. And ask you do NOT quote me.

This is based entirely on the fact that you aren't revealing who you are intending to write the article for, and of course I have no context as to how the quote would be used.

If I had really intended to be quoted, I would of agreed to an interview. I prefer this remain simply an anonymous opinon of questionable value within Prius Chat.

#12 The Electric Me, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    chris, ask your analyst how something subjective like looks can be used to analyze sales, how you can compare sales of a 30k car to a 90k car, how you can compare sales of a hybrid to a bev, and how is he determining that tesla s sales are not below what they should be if only it looked like something else. also, what sleeker, sexier green cars are selling better than the gen 4 prius?

then report back please.:)

pakitt likes this.
  14. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I feel the exact the opposite. And you can't compare those two cars. They're in a completely different league. I'm a former (multiple) BMW owner/lover... and I can say this car has comparable luxury - with wickedly awesome fuel consumption. Why would you want to go look for a stupid charging station? Or plan your long trip around a charging station? The new Prius is misunderstood and not even close... to the old level of car it was!

I'm very passionate about mine. Oh, and a first time Hybrid owner here. Yeah, I would talk to you. I've send you a PM.

orenji and pakitt like this.
  15. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    As i have been buying station wagons since 1962, my sense of styling is suspect.
    Gens 1 and 2 sales were based almost entirely on function. Some gen 3 owners seem to have bought a stylish car and then discovered it got good gas mileage. They were confused when other owners objected to.mods to reduce MPG.

Toyota seems indifferent to styling, i did see a gen 4 in dark blue the other day, it looked like the best Honda Insight i ever saw.

16. Chrismedia

Chrismedia New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The Electric Me, see post #8. I wrote I write for WardsAuto, an automotive trade publisher that dates back to the 1920s. My full name is Christie Schweinsberg.

17. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    David Zola is the head of the editorial staff 1 248 799 2617. No editor on the masthead is Chris, but there is a Christie (if I outed you on the internet, sorry) There are non editorial Chris's.

18. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Christie Schweinsberg | WardsAuto

I know wardsauto.com, I work in the field of automotive since 10 years.
    I will send you a PM for an interview if you are interested in the view of a European, that buys fuel at 4-6$ a gallon...living in a city full of VW, Audis, Mercedes and...BMW! ;)

orenji and bisco like this.
  19. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Australia, I waited 3½ months for the first Prius 4 to arrive in my own city's dealership after it was officially released here - and bought it 2 days later. I've noticed that only a few other dealers in nearby cities have received Prius 4, and they've sold almost immediately.

Australia has no incentives for hybrids or BEVs, and with fuel prices at levels they were 11 years ago, yet average wages have increased by 43% in that time resulting in much higher disposable income bringing a "why not buy a petrol guzzling SUV or truck" attitude. Prius sales have been relatively poor here, with overall hybrid car (not trucks and SUVs) sales down by about 12% last year. GM brought Volt here a few years ago, tried to sell it for $60,000+ and most were still sitting in dealerships 3 yrs later. I've seen 3 on the roads!!!

When fuel prices skyrocket again, I'd be surprised if sales don't too.

pakitt likes this.
  20. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Chris,

As you can see from my signature I currently own both generations of Prius.

I was definitely planning on buying a new car this year (since January), but I had already crossed the 2016 Prius off my list.
    That was based on online reading I had done, reviews and Toyota's release last fall.
    My main objections to the car were in the styling area.
    These are the parts I didn't care for:
    • The back end with the 'over the top' tail lights
    • The blacked out C pillar
    • Rear fender crease
    • The splayed headlights (looked odd on light colors)
    • The interior white accents (console tray and shifter bezel)
    I was actually planning on buying a 2016 Honda Civic. I had already had a brief test drive in the Prius and several in the Civic.
    Before I committed to buying the Civic I went to the Toyota dealer 1 last time to make sure I was definitely ruling out the Prius.

What happened after 2 consecutive test drives was that I found I loved the underlying handling, composure, steering, material quality and comfort of the Prius. Everything on the new Prius is vastly improved: the drivetrain, suspension, body integrity (stiffness) and NVH insulation. It is a much higher quality car that gives me more the feeling of luxury.

The problem was still in the looks though. When I looked at a few in darker colors with black interior, I started to see all my other objections drop off my list.

The darker colors mitigated what I didn't like about the exterior
    • Back end looks nicer
    • The black C pillar blends into other the body panels better
    • The fender crease isn't as obvious, but it is a styling touch on lots of cars and I have grown to like it
    • The splayed headlights don't look odd on darker colors because the black border trim blends into the hood and bumper
    I also saw a 2 Eco with the black console tray and steering wheel trim and really liked it.
    I ended up buying the Eco, but 3 weeks later traded it back for a level 4 with all the options.

I got the black applique kit and covered all the white on the shifter bezel and console tray. To me, the car looks gorgeous!

There are many things to like about the new car:
    • No more 'flying buttress' center console
    • Color central displays with more info and bigger fonts
    • Wrap-around dash
    • More comfortable seats
    • Quieter ride
    • Easily beats its EPA mileage ratings with normal driving
    • Better forward visibility
    • 12V battery is under the hood now
    • Shark fin antenna
    • Lithium ion battery
    • Newest safety features
    On the engineering side, Toyota has done a great job with this car. They've made a few missteps with styling, which is easily correctable:
    • Drop the fine bone chine inside (or make it an optional applique kit)
    • Make the blackout trim on the headlights body color
    • Make an optional body color trim piece for the C pillar
    • Offer a complete spare option with a higher floor for all levels/packages