1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone with a Prius Plug-in based in the Southeast US?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Vulcanman, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Vulcanman

Vulcanman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am based in South Carolina. My 2012 PiP-Adv was bought from Maryland ... I drove it down here. None of the EV apps from my iPhone are able to communicate with the car. The SafetyConnect in the car works fine (I did a test SOS call and they confirmed my location). However, Vehicle Locator, Charging App, Fuel Consumption App are not able to communicate with the car.

Toyota tech support thinks that the cellular network provider might be having issues in my State.

Anyone in South Carolina (or somewhere in the Southeast) with a PiP that can confirm that the EV apps are able to communicate with the vehicle?

Thanks!!!!!

2. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :) From Virginia, no problems.

3. Vulcanman

Vulcanman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    But Virginia is one of the states that sells the Plugin. Correct?

It's not sold locally here.

4. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    West Tennessee, but with a basic and no smartphone, I have not tried.

iPad ? HD

5. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Correct. All my Entune Apps work without issue. Entune is included on "select" Toyota cars and is nationwide and not regional.

What It Is
    Entune is Toyota's entrant in the in-car infotainment wars. Hot on the heels of Ford'scontroversial MyFord Touch system, Entune takes a somewhat different approach-the idea is to give the centrally mounted touchscreen the functionality of a smartphone. Unlike some rivals, it doesn't provide control over basic vehicle functions, focusing instead on integrating handy apps into the driving experience.
    How It Works
    Well, it doesn't work at all unless you have an Android, Apple, or BlackBerry smartphone, so that's something to keep in mind. Assuming you've got a suitable smartphone with a data plan, the first step is to register your phone with Entune. Next, you use your phone to download the Entune app, which includes everything you need to make the system work. Once Entune is activated, you use the car's touchscreen (or the voice-recognition software, on models so equipped) to operate it; note, however, that your phone serves as the data connection, so you'll need to have your phone in the car at all times-and an unlimited data plan is preferred.
    The core of the Entune interface is a collection of six apps, access to which is free for the first three years but subject to a monthly fee thereafter-except Pandora, the popular music recommendation app, which will keep cranking out free music for the duration. The other apps are the Bing search engine, iHeartRadio (providing access to about 750 radio stations across the country), MovieTickets.com, OpenTable, and a Toyota-sourced data app that includes a refueling guide, a stock ticker, sports updates, traffic monitoring, and weather conditions.
    Interestingly, Toyota has elected to bar additional apps from Entune for now, so you're stuck with just those six, although the company is taking suggestions on which apps to add in the future.
    Competitors
    Entune's app-centric approach sets it apart for the time being, but widespread direct competition is around the corner in the form of GM's MyLink/IntelliLink systems, which include Pandora functionality while also offering touchscreen integration for the climate controls. MyFord Touch doesn't provide app compatibility, but it does boast-for better or worse-a geek-pleasing smorgasbord of features and customization options. The other notable rival at the moment is Chrysler's latest uConnect system (as seen in the 300 sedan), which actually does the best smartphone impression of the bunch, providing fast and user-friendly touchscreen control over a wide range of vehicle functions; however, it too lacks Entune's app-based philosophy.

6. NEinSE

NEinSE New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I expected there had to be others, but I have not seen one yet here. Vulcanman, I reside in a state adjacent to SC.
    Acquired my PIP from a dealer in New England and timed the transaction with a visit to nearby family members.
    Dealer sent me paperwork enabling me to register PIP here (not without some difficulty at local DMV office) and travel
    to New England with a new license plate to drive PIP south.

I have an Android phone and I have not tried any EV apps yet. I will, though, and I will post the outcome. Entune apps work well.

7. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty sure all the apps are supposed to work nationwide. double-check that you have entered your login credentials correctly both on your phone and in the car.

8. powerplay

powerplay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    All works fine here in FL.

9. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mine work in Florida too! Another plug in in Florida!! Where in Florida? I actually saw one in Miami on i95 the other day.. I thought I was the only one down here!! Lol

10. powerplay

powerplay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Nope, you are not alone! I am on the other coast near Ft. Myers. I haven't seen any over here.

11. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Vulcanian try and power down your iPhone and power it back up and try again.

If it still does not work delete the Entune app from your phone and install it again.

12. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Awesome! We should meet up! I'm planning on going there in the next few weeks

13. Vulcanman

Vulcanman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks guys. Something is wrong in my car then. I drove it down from MD and I noticed that it did not communicate while I was there as well. So ...I will rule out network issues.

It's also possible it's a SafetyConnect server side configuration issue.

JMD likes this.
  14. powerplay

powerplay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am actually in North Port. Ft Myers is about 45-60 minutes from me, south. I certainly will be around if you would like to meet.

15. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow north port? I was actually going to pick up some parts for my celica there last week.. W

16. scgator

scgator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am trying to acquire a 2013 PIP (or 2012 PIPA) in Florida but it seems next to impossible. I've called a few dealers and none are willing to have one shipped from other states. There are a couple near Tampa area but won't budge from the MSRP.

To the folks with a PIP in Florida/Southeast, any recommendations or contacts? If possible, I am trying to pay near the same price others on this forum have been paying.

17. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I purchased mine from md.. And drove there with my trade in.. But they had crazy incentives to make it worth my time. I am not sure what incentives they have now ..

Btw.. Powerplay.. I was in north port last weekend .. Just picked up a used Toyota sienna SE from a Honda dealership there for my wife ..

18. powerplay

powerplay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    bzyrice, I was here. Sorry I missed you.

scgator, I went through the same problem you are having. If you want to get a good deal or pay the going price, you are probably out of luck buying one from a FL dealer. Of all the dealers I contacted only two were willing to even entertain the idea and the one where I bought my car would not do it unless I paid them extra to do so. Your best bet is to go to a launch state, Virginia, and buy it there.
    If you want to try, there is a dealer in Melbourne, Dave Weber, ([email protected])

Toyota of Melbourne, who said he would get one for me, but we never got together on it. I am not sure if they charge a premium or not.

19. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yah I didn't have my Prius otherwise I would have pmd u.. We rented a car and picked up the new car so we would only have to drive one car back