1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone with Sony backup cam experience? (XAR800C)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MrPete, Nov 15, 2011.

1. MrPete

MrPete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Crutchfield has a nice deal right now: $180 discount on the Sony backup cam XAR800C when purchased with XNV-660BT. (ie only $20 for the cam!)

Anyone know if this is actually a reasonable cam? Wondering if it is worth the install time :) ... sure sounds like a no-brainer deal!

2. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm running the cheap eBay camera into my Sony. Works great, fits really easily into the OEM position, looks like an OEM fit and cost about $25 plus another couple of dollars for a video extension lead.

Check out the rear camera threads here for tips on fitting this unit.

3. MrPete

MrPete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the cheap eBay cam was $25 I guess I got a good deal on the "real" Sony cam - $20, purchased with the Sony HU.

It will be fun figuring out how to fit this in -- looking at the back of my car, I don't even see a place for it right now :)

4. MrPete

MrPete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You probably have got a good deal, but will the camera fit directly into the special small cutout that is above the licence plate and look inconspicuous, like the OEM one?

That's the reason so many here have gone for the ebay cameras, they fit and look just like the one fitted by the factory. Many of the other aftermarket ones look a bit tacky, either bodged on to the licence plate or fitted on a bracket on the back of the car somewhere.

6. MrPete

MrPete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh boy. I simply didn't worry about it!
    I can't see the special cutout area at all on my Prius... obviously I need to figure out this cam install bit.

Thanks for the warning. Most likely I will need to eBay the $20 cam I bought, and then get a Camry cam or equivalent.