1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone with the new 45AH Yuasa battery care to deep cycle?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by srivenkat, Mar 4, 2014.

1. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    [I posted this in the Gen3 forum but so far no takers. Since this is the same battery and issue for the Gen2 as well, I wanted to post it here as well. I wish there were a forum here for common issues like the 12V battery, tires, etc.]

About 4 or 5 times to see if it's still the old crap with higher AH or if the battery is now deep-cyclable like the Optima?​

In the worst case, if you find it's done in 4 or 5 cycles, you can get a free replacement from Toyota assuming yours is still under the 2-year free replacement warranty PLUS you will know to continue to be careful with not leaving the dome lights on and such.​

I would recommend the same test with the Exide Edge and the O'Reilly SuperStart to see if they are really deep-cyclable.​

Thanks.​

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can do this test yourself. Buy one at Toyota and cycle it. Then return it if it fails under warranty.

3. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

I don't think they do returns. I think they will only do replacement if the battery is bad. If the battery is good, I wouldn't be able to use it currently. Best for someone that already got one from a local Toyota dealer to try it and see if it meets their expectation of a deep-cyclable (now higher AH) battery.

Also, I would rather NOT everyone perform this test. Whoever is interested can first post here BEFORE they test so others can know that a test is in progress. I wouldn't want Toyota replacing a bunch of 12Vs as a result of this post :) On the flip side if one test followed by one more confirms they now offer a deep-cyclable battery, obviously Toyota will be a winner :)

Same with the Exide Edge and O'Reilly Super Start. Optima already claims their battery can withstand 300 deep-cycles IIRC.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you work for a battery company?

5. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    My hope here is that all 4 drop-in choices currently (Optima, New higher-AH Toyota Yuasa TrueStart, Exide Edge and O'Reilly SuperStart) on the market prove to be deep-cyclable and give good performance and longevity. It would be good to have continued healthy competition and choices in the market place. Consumers as well as Manufacturers will be winners.

6. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

I don't and I don't own stock in any of them directly. The reason I say "directly" is that I don't know about S&P 500 invested in any of these. :)

7. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    As I think more about this, one more advantage with this test would be that it would be good for the environment, since there's no point in more bad batteries being tried over 2 or more years by several people before general experience determines a battery to be a bad or incompatible design.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a GS Yuasa 12V battery produced in 2009. It has already been deep-cycled 2x, inadvertently, by my daughter. It is now sitting in my garage, holds a charge with no problem, the voltage after surface charge has dissipated is 12.9V, and the charging current when the battery is fully-charged is around 80 mA at 14.4V. So I would say the GS Yuasa battery will withstand at least 2 deep cycle discharges without any obvious ill effects, if action is taken to fully-charge the battery after the discharge.

I think that one problem many Prius owners have with respect to the 12V battery is that they underestimate how much time is required to fully-charge the battery once it has been discharged. A full day of charging is really not too much to allow.

9. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

I am trying to understand why an Optima for example, is reportedly able to tolerate a deep cycle discharge much better than the OEM Yuasa? Does it have to do with the battery design? I imagine folks in both cases either fully charged their battery right after a deep-cycle event or not, but apparently with different results (the yuasa failing and the Optima supposedly alright).

10. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

One suspicion expressed by John (Britprius) IIRC is that the Prius charging system tries to charge the battery with a lot of current (60A?) if the battery is discharged and perhaps this is what's frying the original Yuasa battery. So, perhaps if you deep-cycle it and it comes back up each time just fine on a steady 5 Amp charger over a weekend, but if you instead put it in a Prius, gets fried by the Prius charger, then we know the original Yuasa battery wasn't designed to be really compatible with the Prius charger. Then the next step would be to see if the new Yuasa 45AH battery suffers from the same incompatibility with the Prius charger. And then the same test with the other supposed drop-ins on the market such as the Optima, Exide and SuperStart.... IOW, proven deep-cyclability when charged back up with a 5Amp charger over a weekend, but not when charged by the Prius charger with high current....