1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anything known to be wrong with the 2016 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mavi, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    So I'm looking into buying a used 2016 Prius two in the next few months, and I'm curious if there are any major known flaws with higher mileage GEN4 Prius? I'd be looking at the 100k-120k range which is why I was asking.

I know there is oil consumption issues with the GEN2 and some GEN3, does the issue persist with the higher mileage GEN4's?
    Seeing a lot of talk about rattles in the dash? Any issues that were fixed in the 2017, that are present in the 2016?

Also any thing I should make sure is serviced or has been services on them? Any info would be great!

#1 Mavi, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know one California user here had his 2016 over 90K miles with no unexpected issues. Just the expected oil/filter changes, tires etc. He traded it because he decided he wanted. VW TDI again.

Early 2016 could not switch between miles & KM for speedometer. IIRC there is a TSB about dash rattles.

It is a good idea to make sure all recalls were performed. Most were minor but I believe there is one about deteriorating airbag sensors. Putting the VIN into Toyota's site should tell you that information.

For 2017, the early models, like mine, have many safety features as standard. Late in 2017 they added other features to their models. Although not technically standard, they charged & then credited $1000, making them free of cost.

EDIT: Here is what they had done for the 90 K mile service
    Super-Commuter & high mile thread | Page 2 | PriusChat

Here is their post saying they traded in the Prius.
    Super-Commuter & high mile thread | Page 3 | PriusChat

#2 Prodigyplace, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    RCO, vvillovv and m.wynn like this.